Feb 05, 2013, 06:02 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_rcer
soon as the radjet kit is in stock i'm ordering 2 of them.Have a 2836-2700 for one and a 2350 for the other.One thing i learned is do not climb vert and then cut power,death spiral all the way down lol.i always fly under power now
I bought my RadJet 800 from the Netherland warehouse...
It was cheaper there,even the postage was cheaper then if bought from the UK or German warehouse..
$50.51 posted to Ireland.

Sean
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2013, 09:06 PM
some guys never use those settings at all....I guess it all comes down to experience and what works best for you...Every plane i have is a little different and some i use dual rates and some expo ...being a new bee i just get it high up then gradually start making turns...once i get warmed up and adjusted to the plane i do more risky stuff.... My biggest down fall is my eye sight is not that great,so i have to fly closer...Also my nerves sometimes get the best of me...I think once you believe in your abilities and feel relaxed you improve your skills drastically...That's my 2 cents worth...I flew my radjet yesterday and i did way better then the time before....Loops and rolls are a blast with this plane...
Feb 05, 2013, 10:51 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie
I bought my RadJet 800 from the Netherland warehouse...
It was cheaper there,even the postage was cheaper then if bought from the UK or German warehouse..
$50.51 posted to Ireland.

Sean
yeah,the arf kit is not bad here in the us,it's 37.00 us and i can pick it up at us warehouse,only a 30 min drive for me so no shipping
Feb 06, 2013, 06:17 AM
Reap the wild wind
That would be just too tempting
Feb 06, 2013, 12:38 PM
ya tell me about it,i keep thinking i don't need those planes but they are so close
it's kinda nice tho,if i order by about 2pm my time i can pick it up the next day
Feb 07, 2013, 02:09 PM
Reap the wild wind
It could be worse. You could work there and they might offer staff discounts or first pick of the new models
Feb 07, 2013, 09:44 PM
was thinking of that.Since i'm retired a part time gig might be fun there,but i would probably owe money each week
Feb 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Radjet funeral time......

WOW!! FAST!!!
On the 2826/6-2200kv APC4.75x4.75 running 4S 1300mAH 45C it hit 195kph!! And plain to see it is FAST.
Hmmm... let's try the TGXS 5x5 and a 4S 1800mAH 35C battery!!!

I guess it had to be at least a bit faster, but you can't tell that visually. And I never got to GPS Log it.........

Maybe 3mins into the flight I did a WOT pass overhead at about 8 metres, and pulled into a vertical climb.... well ALMOST......
I knew it was fast and thus you don't do dramatic moves, or the G's will be HUGE!! But maybe I over-estimated the strength still.....

So what did it sound like when it self-destructed on the rotation to climb.... hmmm, not sure. There was some noise.... high speed air over foam confetti and pieces!!???
All I saw were two large pieces and some confetti, with the 'noise' of disintegration..... and pieces fluttering to earth then.....

It seemed funny at that time......

The main body and one wing ended 5 metres up a tree..... and other wing and major confetti pieces ended up on the oval. So I grabbed those first then headed to the tree.... climbed and got that down.
Hmmmm...... no battery or GPS unit...... where are they?????

GONE.
A thorough search for over 200 metres ahead of the air where it self destructed, over a wide angle spread, and nothing to be found. Mainly short grass on the oval, and then not too long grass in the perimeter/tree'd area until the road.
GONE.......
45 mins of searching a distance that seemed unlikely to be needed.

But then I thought.... WHAT ANGLE of the climb was it exactly at when it self-destructed??? 45deg? 60deg? I don't know.
So HOW FAR can a 207g battery, that was doing maybe 160kph to 190kph (???) prior to the self destruction, GO ?????
Hmmmm, that sounds possible to go a LONG way!!! A 45deg incline, 207g at 160kph stored momentum..... could that go HUNDREDS of metres!!????

It was about 150m from the approx destruction point to the road passing the oval.... so did the battery and GPS head way off into the houses across the road??? Hmmmm...... I had never thought of that possibility happening!!
The more I thought about it, the more likely it seemed it WOULD have gone a LONG way.... seeing it is reasonably streamlined and heavy, and would have had LOT of momentum.
So yeah... probably somewhere in the backyard of houses across the road... or on their roof... or even to the houses behind those.

So I went home......

The motor had one lead shredded to be just a junky piece of bare copper wires coming out of it - the other two totally fine - but that means it is kaput.
The Radjet pieces CAN be rebuilt fine.... but this time with the carbon fibre full width spars!!!
It will need a new 2826/6 (which I have another).

And farewell to my $17 4S 1800mAH and the $28 GPS logger.....
That is VERY annoying!!!
Not as annoying as the possible landing point of the battery could have caused someone!! So I hope it just hit open yard, or fence or something!

Hello, this is the first time I participate in this forum, my name is Antonio and I'm from Cordoba-Spain, took a long time reading this thread, I thought of buying a RADJET, my future, but for now and decided to use the motorization 2826 - 6 on my JET ILLUSION KYOSHO because the ducted fan from the factory is very very slow, for now testing an been very satisfactory, the engine that is used RCTIMER 2826-6, RCTIMER 30amp regulator, batteries 1300 nano-tech 3s and 4s and propeller 4.75 x 4.75 and 6 x 4 depending on battery, I have no video but I have pictures I'll post here so you can see the modification, I congratulate you all for this great forum, I hope to be of help, sorry for my English.

A greeting.
Feb 08, 2013, 12:20 PM
Reap the wild wind
Hi AnTLeNFer and welcome to RC Groups. Your English is 100% better than my Spanish so no problems there. Nice looking plane, I just hope you have the c of g correct with the more rearward mounted power plant. I was think of doing something similar to my Graupner Tiger Shark.
If you can fly the KYOSHO ILLUSION then a Radjet shouldn't present a problem for you
Andy
Feb 08, 2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Hi AnTLeNFer and welcome to RC Groups. Your English is 100% better than my Spanish so no problems there. Nice looking plane, I just hope you have the c of g correct with the more rearward mounted power plant. I was think of doing something similar to my Graupner Tiger Shark.
If you can fly the KYOSHO ILLUSION then a Radjet shouldn't present a problem for you
Andy
Thanks for your comment Headlessagain, why that and mounted the JET ILLUSION is because it almost never flight due to its low speed, but now in a blast, 6x4 with 3s and flies very well and very fast, but when I 4.75x.4.75 4s and a bull fight, the speed is so much that I can not get all the gas more than 3 seconds because I lose sight of the past for track are awesome and the weight of the model is 440 grams, I think you do not have problems with your TIGER SHARK and this engine, if you need more information let me know, I have a question about propellers, propellers RCTIMER use now (I think they are TGS) I can get more speed with APC?

Thanks and regards.
Feb 08, 2013, 06:23 PM
you can always go faster!
that is nice jet!
Last edited by jfrederick; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Feb 08, 2013, 09:21 PM
Once you taste flight...
Well just got my Rad Jet put together, and programmed in my radio 3 more days of work, and hoping that this weather settles down a little so I can take her out and give her a shot. Using all stock, zippy 1300 3s, CG right about at the finger notches, had to root out some foam for them to fit but no need for velcro they will stay in just fine without it now. Thinking some extra ventilation might be needed for the ESC though.
Control movement is @ 50, 66, 100 for ail, and 80, 100, 100 for ele. Anyone have any measurements by chance on control surface movement?
I also have reflex dialed in @20% on a switch, as well as rudder ail mix @ 25% on a switch for launches.
Feb 08, 2013, 11:03 PM
I guess the Reflex Switch idea is to use between flights? Shift weight a LOT more forward and use Reflex then?
But I am not sure why, as the Radjet must already have an appropriate wing design seeing it flies great just as it comes.....? I would assume it uses washout - I have never looked so I don't know what base idea they used.
Last edited by PeterVRC; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Feb 09, 2013, 02:29 PM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnTLeNFer
...have a question about propellers, propellers RCTIMER use now (I think they are TGS) I can get more speed with APC?
Thanks and regards.
Dr Kiwi (RC Groups motor and prop guru) did test the TGS range of props (also branded EMP) and found the smaller ones pulled less amps but provided more thrust than the equiv APC props http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2012/05/07/...ng-propellers/
I used lots of their props but I do find the 7" or larger a bit big around the shaft area making it more difficult to fit on a prop saver for lower powered units. I prefer the APC 7"er's in that application.
Here's my scratch built D H Vampire tearing up the local park with the help of a TGS 6x4
Radio controlled D H Vampire on 6x4 prop (2 min 58 sec)

Andy
Feb 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Dr Kiwi (RC Groups motor and prop guru) did test the TGS range of props (also branded EMP) and found the smaller ones pulled less amps but provided more thrust than the equiv APC props http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2012/05/07/...ng-propellers/
I used lots of their props but I do find the 7" or larger a bit big around the shaft area making it more difficult to fit on a prop saver for lower powered units. I prefer the APC 7"er's in that application.
Here's my scratch built D H Vampire tearing up the local park with the help of a TGS 6x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCASqTis7I
Andy

Thanks for the info and the video Andy, I love that model, you have a plan?

Greetings.

Quick Reply