Oct 30, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Went to the field today with my blu-WOT. Several of my instructor FBs put this plane through it paces. Did everthing but knife edges and 3D. We literally flew the wheels, well one wheel anyway, off this plane today. Unfortunately the plane is now grounded until I can get some new wheels.

What a great little plane.

Thanks again David for a great design.

Don
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Don
glad you had a good day with the wot-next.. dont go letting everyone fly it!
you will wear it out!

infact point them in the direction of this thread and tell them to make their own

re-drew the plans for a 24" span version made out of 3mm depron for indoor flying on 2 cells this morning. bigger control surfaces tho' cos this one is for me!

will post details when i get to it

David
Oct 31, 2011, 04:31 PM
I am thinking of re-using the wing from this plane https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=399 with WOT's fuse.....
Oct 31, 2011, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhav
I am thinking of re-using the wing from this plane https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=399 with WOT's fuse.....
dont see why not... i would cut the dihedral tips off though and just use the 32" middle bit.

the wot next would suit a variety of wings.. flat like the one i used, wing section like Dons, or kfm... all will work.
its surprising how well it flies with the flat single 6mm depron wing i used in the design.

David
Nov 01, 2011, 08:15 PM
Would this plane fly with a blue wonder motor? I have a few sitting around. While we're at it what size would I have to go to use a 2408-21t H-K motor? I'd like to build one and fit a set of skis to it for flying in winter. Thanks for any and all responses.
Nov 02, 2011, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar53
Would this plane fly with a blue wonder motor? I have a few sitting around. While we're at it what size would I have to go to use a 2408-21t H-K motor? I'd like to build one and fit a set of skis to it for flying in winter. Thanks for any and all responses.
Sidecar
not sure about the blue-wonder? anyone?
the prototype only weighed 10 ounce and is massively overpowered with the 1800kv that i used.. listen to the motor on the video, take off was at half power and full power was rarely used.

the limiting factor with scaling the wot-next up will be the integrity of the flat sheet wing... i would be getting nervous before i hit 40" span.

but use a "simple aerofoil" wing or a "kfm" wing (both detailed on the foam scratchbuilt thread) then you could build much bigger.

good luck with your ski plane wot-next... i like your thinking

David
Nov 02, 2011, 03:49 AM
RC Adddict
At 10 oz the blue wonder should be a nice fit .depends on KV as to prop size .
Nov 02, 2011, 06:19 AM
Thanks, guys. Onward and upward!!
Nov 02, 2011, 08:06 AM
David,

Looking forward to your 24" plans. We do not have an indoor flying site locally but perhaps on a calm day it would fly nicely out in my yard.

Cheers,
Don
Nov 02, 2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor
At 10 oz the blue wonder should be a nice fit .depends on KV as to prop size .
I have used a 1300kv and 1750 kv blue wonder powered by a 2S 1000mah lipo turning a 9X5 prop. I have used those combinations of prop/ motor on a FFF piper that has an AUW of 12.8 oz. The motor gets only slightly warm if run full throttle for extended time when using the 1750 Kv motor So it is my opinion that the blue wonder would work well on this plane

Stan
Nov 02, 2011, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerXll
I have used a 1300kv and 1750 kv blue wonder powered by a 2S 1000mah lipo turning a 9X5 prop. I have used those combinations of prop/ motor on a FFF piper that has an AUW of 12.8 oz. The motor gets only slightly warm if run full throttle for extended time when using the 1750 Kv motor So it is my opinion that the blue wonder would work well on this plane

Stan
Stan
thanks.. the 10.1/2 oz weight i quoted for the prototype wot next was with the motor and "full size" 30a esc fitted in fact it was the weight ready to fly without lipo

David
Nov 03, 2011, 06:11 AM
Well, as my first aileron trainer, I've decided to go with a blue wonder motor and 6mm EPP (figure it'd bounce a bit instead of breaking).Got the wing and elevator done last night, re-inforced with carbon. Seems stiff enough. Does anyone have a link for instructions to help someone transition from RET to ailerons? I figure it'd be an advantage to read about it before I try to fly one. Thanks again.
Nov 03, 2011, 10:56 AM
who put that tree there
took my taube wot next out other day for test flight wow flew very well..
put an emax 2228 motor and 8x4 apc 1500 3 cell lipo .. 618g thrust plenty of power to spare,pushed most electrics in front as to fit my battery under the wing..final flying wieght was 13.75 oz..
just needing a paint job now,mmmmmmm red n yellow sounds good..
great design and thanks for sharing..

daren

edit...finished paint job opted for red n white looks better
Last edited by dazza44; Nov 03, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Nov 03, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hello HOW MUCH,
Nov 03, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hello HOW MUCH
Love your design of the WOT NEXT foamy and the elaborate plans you offered to us foam guys. One question that bothers me is the call out for the cutting layout of the top and bottom pieces...i.e. "26" x 2.9/16". Do you mean it should be 2,9 inches wide? What does the "/16" add-on mean?
Thank you for a truly cool design!!
Walt Jellison
jellwalt@cox.net

Quick Reply