Thread OP
Build Log

Nike2 from TopModels CZ

Allways an exiting sight:

Nicely double boxed:

And properly packed:

Revealing the contents:

So, all seems great!
After much deliberations with myself, I finally opted for a Nike2 as my next project. Looking at prices and availability it quickly became apparent that buying directly from Czechia was (for me) the best option. Also, here I could buy the ARC (Almost Ready to Cover) version, which I prefered any way as I didn't realy like their colour scheme. It will also make it easier to do some mods on the wings.

Having read the little info that is available here on RCG, I think the current Nike2 has been improved somewhat.
The fuse:
Nicely made fiberglass fuse. And straight as an arrow. I will lay some fiberglass inside in the wing and canopy area.

Carbon fibre inside from the nose to the tail
View from the nose to the tail

View from the top of the tail:

An original...

Here as well, I will lay some fiberglass inside the top of the fuse, in the corners of the wing bed. There, almost every fiberglass fuse, will show cracks eventually.

The wing shows some apparent improvements as well:
Root:

Front wing hold down, now with copper tube inside:

Rear wing hold down, now also with a copper tube inside:

Wing TE at the aileron section. No open foam in view...

Servo bay, with a tunnel for the servo wiring:

Wingroot bottom:

I will lay about an inch wide fiberglass on the top and bottom of the wingroot.

Elevator top:

Elevator bottom:

Close up of elevator hold down. Now, if they've put nice copper tubes in the wing, why not in the elevator?

Here as well I will lay some fiberglass on the top and bottom, and a second nut. Also because I want to keep the elevator removeable.

A massive iron wingspar (replace with CF?):

And a nicely done black fiberglass canopy:

The only thing missing (probably seeing as this is the ARC version) is a decal sheet.

Judging from the instruction sheet, this is absolutely not a beginner's model. "Basic" would not begin to describe it... But after a few years flying, lots of repairs, several kits, ARF's and scratchbuild projects, this one should not pose that much of a problem. Although the elevator servo seems a bit mind boggling. How the heck do I get the servo in there without smearing glue all over the inside of the tail and leave enough on for it to stick properly...?
Last edited by Up&Away; Nov 20, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
Cool project What power system are you running?
Oct 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wow, I just got mine today also. I couldn't find much recent info on here about the Nike. It looks to me like a modestly priced box of fun....I'm using an Axi 2826-08 on mine. CC ice lite 75.... That seemed like a good setup as there were many on here that had used it. I have read all I can about it as well and I think the mods you are doing are pretty much what everyone said they did. I'm looking forward to getting going on this.
Martin
Oct 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
The wing spar can be replaced with a (solid) carbon spar with the same dimension to reduce weight.
Oct 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Thread OP
The only tricky bit (as far as I can see) is installing the elevator servo... Any hints?
Last edited by Up&Away; Oct 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Oct 22, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Oh, and I'll power her with this one. I have this motor in my F5J Tango with a 12x6.5 prop and a 3S2200, limited on 30%, and she'll go vertical untill I stop.
I imagine on a 4S2650 she'll go nicely...
Oct 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
I just had a fitting session. There is a bit of foam left inside the wing's servo bay. If I dremmel that away, and lay some fiberglass instead, the HS82MS will sit flush.
The elevator is a different story though. I thought to use a HS81MS I have spare, but it is to big. Should I go for a HS65MG (are they strong enough)?
Oct 22, 2011, 05:13 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Nice model! Keep it up!
Oct 29, 2011, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
I haven't been sitting still you know...

I intended to use a HS-81MG for the elevator. Seeing that the 81 is 11mm wide, and that on the TopModelCZ site a 9mm servo is recommended, I started to worry a bit.

Also, I tried to figure out how to insert the servo into the tail and glue it in properly.

So, I made this little contraption:

To fit over the servo tabs:

and a piece to keep the tail open (that sounds dirty but it isn't...)

Holding the servo in the contraption, I inserted the servo, and behold; it doesn't fit. Or, it fits as long as I don't mind if the servo arm binds against the inside of the tail...

Another servo must be found...
Oct 29, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sure it'll work
DS09's are great tail servos.
Oct 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
Nothing ARF about that tail! You could wedge a piece or pieces of wood to hold the tail open just wider than the servo then glue everything up when happy.
I would push two mounting blocks in there that are just wide enough to allow free movement of the servo. It is hard to tell when looking at pics.
GOOD LUCK!
Oct 29, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme
DS09's are great tail servos.
DS09 or DS90? The 90 is 1mm wider than the HS81MG...
Oct 29, 2011, 03:31 PM
Sure it'll work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
DS09 or DS90? The 90 is 1mm wider than the HS81MG...
The DS09's are 9.0mm thick. I wasn't aware there was a "90"....

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/at-ser/atser-dim.pdf
Last edited by Flyextreme; Oct 29, 2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add on
Oct 29, 2011, 03:36 PM
BANNED!!!
That tail is simple. People always make to much about the Nike tail.

Assemble the servo assembly as was done in one of the pictures above.
Insert the assembly into the tail and connect everything.
After everything is setup, apply glue to servo sides with a popsicle stick.
I use goop as my glue.
Make any adjustments needed before the goop sets up.
Done.

Its a 15 minute job once you start working, and stop thinking.

Good luck with it guys...
Oct 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme
The DS09's are 9.0mm thick. I wasn't aware there was a "90"....
Do you have a link where I can get them?

Quick Reply