Mar 16, 2019, 03:51 PM
When cows fly!
Yay! It flew
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2019, 02:59 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

stabilization

The cartoon birds was designed before the stabilization craze started.
Even if it was after I would have went raw to prove the design.
I'm sort of old school that way.
I have added the feature to the hardest of the set (spitfire) and it loves it.
Frans, your plane came out great !
glad you had the time to get her done.
Mar 25, 2019, 03:35 PM
Thanks, it was a fun build.
And yes I am also kind of old school concerning gyros.
Going to use it to survive the launching fase.
Mar 27, 2019, 05:37 AM
When cows fly!
Hopefully there will be flight video!
Jun 21, 2019, 08:01 AM
bps
bps
I just competed a Thrush so now on to the P40. I am finally getting around ti doing the "fun" builds after designing and building the "Shorts Brothers" scale models. Due to work schedules I still have not made it to the flying field yet, but soon I hope.

I will post some pictures of the building process and as always I have made some major changes which I hope will work out. We shall see, not sure why I feel the need to "modify" something that already works but maybe that's the fun of it all. Anyway thanks for such a great little kit and well thought out model!!
Jun 24, 2019, 01:01 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Don't feel bad about modifications, Ive done it on every build have made!
Field conditions, weather in your area and personal preferences matter.
Posting your changes only help the design.

The cartoon model thing almost died when depron went away.
Ive posted ways to get around the material problem but it must be too much for most.
The cartoon series will stay on the website but I see it ending soon.
I'm getting old and tired , but the plastic remains the same weight.
The hobby will miss me when I'm gone.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:13 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Keith

Hopefully you won't be gone for a long time. We need and appreciate all you do for us!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jun 24, 2019, 02:17 PM
bps
bps
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
Don't feel bad about modifications, Ive done it on every build have made!
Field conditions, weather in your area and personal preferences matter.
Posting your changes only help the design.

The cartoon model thing almost died when depron went away.
Ive posted ways to get around the material problem but it must be too much for most.
The cartoon series will stay on the website but I see it ending soon.
I'm getting old and tired , but the plastic remains the same weight.
The hobby will miss me when I'm gone.
As an old timer over 50 years building, flying and enjoying the hobby I certainly appreciate the huge effort involved in bringing these products to us. Building something that flys can be both rewarding and challenging at the same time.

The Dollar Store foam works ok but it is a bit softer and requires extra support in some areas. Then balsa is always an option as well. Wonder what the next miracle building material will be ??
Jun 24, 2019, 04:33 PM
Slicing blue or pink foam is so easy!
I love that I can cut out a pattern from 2" thick foam on my bandsaw and then slice it up into several thin pieces for multiple kits. Works great if I just want to have spare pieces to experiment with or if I want to cut out extras for my friends.

Thank you for all you have contributed over the years Keith.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:22 AM
bps
bps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Bal
Just like in the video I used alu- tape to balance the spinner prop. Works great
I like the nice wide mounting flange on the prop adapter. Would you mind sharing where you obtained this one? Thanks in advance and your doing a superb job on the P40!
Jun 25, 2019, 03:42 PM

Spinner backplate

Used a standard prop adaptor.
Glued 0.8 mm thick plywood disk on the back of the spinner backplate.
The plywood stiffens the spinner, so less chance on wobbling.
Jun 25, 2019, 07:44 PM
bps
bps
Thanks
Jul 09, 2019, 05:25 AM
bps
bps
The P40 is such a fun little plane to build. Most of my plane is Dollar Tree foam board and balsa wood. I did decide to use carbon fiber rod to stiffen the vertical and horizontal stabs since the DT foam is so soft. Do miss my Depron a bunch!

The big spinner gave me fits trying to get it balanced and running true. So I decided to make a huge change in that area and try something totally different in hopes that it will work. I am using the same power set up on Dusty and it flew just fine. The 40 does seem a bit more bulky though.

The wing uses two balsa spars with ailerons controlled by separate 5 gram servos. One servo on the elevator and a fixed rudder. No landing gear to save weight and a bit of drag. Drag, what a funny thing to say considering all the things creating that very thing on the Toon 40!

The entire plane will get covered in adhesive vinyl and then painted, no decision yet on color although I do have a couple ideas.

More later...
Jul 09, 2019, 05:39 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The spinner is a pain : so much so that I made a video on how to balance them .
Thats why every kit gets two spinner and back plates and why they are only $2 on the website.
I thought about finding a source for the spinner but the hobby moves so fast they would be discontinued in a year.

Quick Reply