Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 21, 2011, 03:44 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Build Log

Cartoon P-40 Warhawk!

If you guys liked the other cartoon war birds you will love the Cartoon P-40 It has lots of possibilities for you to express yourself with markings and other pilots if you want.
This cartoon plane has been "tooned" a little less than the rest because the P-40 has such a large side area at the front that it makes even the scale version difficult to fly laterally.
Thankfully we are able to color outside of the lines and make the fin larger so it will fly well and still have the P-40 look.
The formula applied to the others Cartoon War Birds was used on this one; aside from the slightly larger wing tips that made the wing span a little bigger we still have a model that we can toss it in the car for a little fun.
like the other cartoon war birds, it does not require shaping the foam sheets and is not "boxy". This requires some formed plastic parts that I have available on the website with the printed plans/ patterns.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 07, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2011, 03:46 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The first one was built to see how well a model like this will fly and to test and develop fitting plastic parts to the foam.

From what I can tell, watching the videos posted on the threads these "fatty planes" are typically a handful to fly.
The drag from the fuselage coupled with a flat airfoil may be the problem.
I went with Cartoon P-40 title because the model is not as fat but skewed enough to "cartoon the model and allow me to exaggerate the features of a P-40.
The model features an easy to build airfoil so the slow flying speeds will be more stable. and has a landing gear option.
Oct 21, 2011, 03:48 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Availability.

I have short kits available on the website now www.parkflyerplastics.com

What you will get is the Plans and plastic parts listed on the site.
The plans would better be described as a pattern page since you don't actually build it over printed paper.
The plastic parts is what makes this model go together so fast , there is no foam forming required.
The materials you will need is
One sheet of 3mm foam and less than 1/8 sheet of 6mm
Gorilla glue ( polyurethane glue)
An Out runner motor that can spin a 8 inch prop at 1800 KV
Three cell 800mah battery
10 amp ESC
Two small servos and a receiver.
Hinge material and other pieces of hardware.

Before I start this construction thread you need to know that if you build the Cartoon P-40 you have built the whole war bird series. If you have been to the site you have seen the other cartoon models.
I have designed them so the instructions are very, very close to being the same.
Tomorrow comes the fun part. building the cartoon P-40. . . .
Last edited by sparks; Sep 07, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Oct 21, 2011, 06:51 AM
wow sparks your going phat mad.
good looking and fun to fly

Willhappy
Oct 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years
Now you have my attention "BIG TIME" I LOVE P-40's
Can you do a "B" model? It has a different nose. Round Air
Scoop with Guns on each side of the Scoop.The Flying
Tigers flew the B Models.

Bobby
Last edited by Sixter; Oct 21, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Oct 21, 2011, 07:30 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years

P-40b

The Flying Tigers (American Volunteer Group) were stationed in Burma and China they had three squadrons of P-40, the third squad was named "Hells Angels". This is a photo of the Hells Angles. They are flying the B Model P-40. It has the Shark appearance, due to the shape of the nose. No one ever does the B Model Because of the efforts of the AVG this should be the most popular of the P-40's

Bobby
Oct 21, 2011, 01:10 PM
one sheet of 3mm foam needed.
how large are a sheet?
does the patterns have grain direction on them? (for depron foam)

You and some other foam builders on this site are a real insiration. Canīt believe how good the scale P-40 turned out.

I should have your book in the mail from UK next week.
Oct 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on the ME-109 the other day as I have been meaning to give your book a read and it is always best to bundle items (for shipping purposes as I tell my wife). Glad I waited as I am a bigger fan of the P-40! Trigger pulled. I will post a pic when I am finished building if that is cool.
Oct 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Willhapy , Dude I know . these little planes are additive. I'm having a ball with them, just be ready to answer questions at the field when you take it out.

Sixter. The B model looks like a shark without the teeth, bet that's where the idea came from. The problem is with the guns. vac forming them causes webbing in the plastic and when you toon the plane the cowl becomes a cone. Cones are hard to form , add guns and I'm throwing plastic away .

Pumpe one of my requirements for the Cartoon War bird series is that there is no foam shaping so there is no need to know the grain direction.
As for the sheet size, the largest part is the bottom wing sheeting. so the largest piece is 8 inch x 30 inch ( 203 mm x 762 mm) the rest is much smaller. I used one sheet that is about 3 ft by 4 ft (91 cm x 121 cm)

JB in AZ
The boxes are packed with parts, if you order anything else I'll have to ship another package to protect the cartoon bird. No problem, except that when the box arrives I get E-mails about missing stuff until the next day.
Posting your model is a pay day for me, I love to see a model completed. I only get to see one out of ten kits completed and I have to hope that they are getting built and not stashed under a bed somwhere.
please do.
Oct 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Construction time

To build the cartoon P-40 I started with the fuselage. I used spray adhesive to bond the patterns to card stock , About the thickness of large mail envelopes is about right.
I carefully cut the patterns out using scissors for the curved edges and a straight edge and hobby knife for the straight cuts. These straight cuts should be made on a smooth hard surface since you have to push down fairly hard; too hard for a craft cutting board.
If you don't have a cutting board get one, when you cut sheet foam it saves blades and keeps them from getting dull.
Oct 22, 2011, 12:30 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The hardest part about cutting the formers was keeping the knife 90 degrees to the building surface, it's not hard at all. When you cut the 3mm side panels cut them at the same time. This ensures that they are identical. Before they are separated mark the former locations at the same time for the same reason. Note that the wing saddle curve has been oversized. This is to be sure there is material available for a perfect fit when the wing mates with the fuselage. To cu the saddle for some extra material I simply slid the pattern down 1/8inch when I cut that portion of the fuselage sides.
Oct 22, 2011, 12:35 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I started assembly with a former test fit.
Each former notch is roughly 1/16 small on purpose this makes it necessary to bow the sides slightly to get the formers to fit in the notch. This snug fit allows assembly with a minimum amount of tape to hold it together.
However, with the P-40 there is more of a curve in the sheeting.
Tapping the formers in-between the tape strips keeps them from moving while the crutch is being handled.

BTW the frame is called a crutch because?
Hold the frame with the tail on the table for a clue.

Add the formers from the front to the back .
When you stick the tape to the foam press only at the top of the edge because the plastic will cover any tape damage done when the tape is pealed..
Also leave a bit of tape loose so you can peal toward the edge for the same reason.

Note: there has been a development in the firewall construction.
I have damaged two planes to a cartwheel.
They were gentle enough that it should not have hurt the plane.
When the prop shaft contacts the ground it pushes the motor stick inward.
This caused long cracks from the corners of the mounts and draws the sides inwards.
The models were still intact but has to be dissembled for repair.
So, On the back of F-1 and F-2 add a 3 inch disk, 6mm thick.
This should distribute the force and prevent damage.
Last edited by sparks; Jan 30, 2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: AD
Oct 22, 2011, 12:37 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Almost forgot, the cockpit "floor" has a slight curve and will need a bit of tape to close any gaps in the skin.
Oct 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
I am sure it is just a matter of preference, but is there any reason why one couldn't put a lot of this together with hot glue vs. GG?
BTW I can hardly wait for my packages to arrive to get started on this build. I purchased my depron today. As I was going through the P-51 thread I noticed that I happen to have a AX2308 - 1800KV motor that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with. Now I do!
Oct 22, 2011, 09:27 PM
RC Adddict
What better way to start a Holiday then by Ordering a BF109 and P40 kits . I also got a tru-spin prop balancer on its way to me so i can balance up some spinners When i get back in 3 weeks im going to have alot of planes to build .

Quick Reply