Oct 31, 2017, 07:18 PM
It really was. I have a Z2 new in box in the attic that has just been bumped up the build queue.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 11:25 PM
Ground Pounder
DAMN IT.... mine hasn’t never been flown
Feb 20, 2018, 02:06 PM
What kind of motor is best to use on a Zephyr 2?
Feb 20, 2018, 02:08 PM

Best motor for Zephyr 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
That's vinyl, I tried to achieve a similar look on mine with 3m matte vinyl and failed horribly, maybe that carbon fiber look vinyl is thicker but the one I used looked very ugly because of the wing imperfections
What kind of motor do you use on your Zephyr 2?
Feb 20, 2018, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Schell View Post
What kind of motor do you use on your Zephyr 2?
28xx-1200kV with 10x7 APC prop. 4s6600.
Dec 06, 2020, 09:25 PM
Resurrecting this thread as I have been resurrecting my zii. I don’t know if many people are flying these any more.

I never really flew my zii that much when I built it many years ago. I had never got it setup in a way that I was very comfortable with. And it was difficult to get in my tiny car. Even more importantly, I never really get comfortable launching it. So I put it aside for a long long time. But now that my daughter is old enough to come the field with me, I’ve been able to start getting out to the field more regularly. So I wanted to get this airworthy again. I removed the old beat up camera box that was on there and replaced it with a 3d printed nose from Thingiverse. I also made up a 3d printed bezel for the hole I cut in for nadir photos a while ago. I also always had trouble getting the cg far enough forward, so I cut out the motor mount and pushed it forward a bit.

I re-maidened it last weekend for a very short but promising flight. Today I was out at the field and it was real gusty, but I figured if it was flying well the zii should be ok. And it was. Not a long flight, or a particularly graceful one, or a very interesting video because of the wind, but it felt great to have it back up in the air with a camera on board. Also, having flown many many more hours on smaller wings since I last flew this, I feel way more confident than I used to tossing this into the air.

December 6, 2020 (2 min 55 sec)
Dec 07, 2020, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiii View Post
Resurrecting this thread as I have been resurrecting my zii. I don’t know if many people are flying these any more.

I never really flew my zii that much when I built it many years ago. I had never got it setup in a way that I was very comfortable with. And it was difficult to get in my tiny car. Even more importantly, I never really get comfortable launching it. So I put it aside for a long long time. But now that my daughter is old enough to come the field with me, I’ve been able to start getting out to the field more regularly. So I wanted to get this airworthy again. I removed the old beat up camera box that was on there and replaced it with a 3d printed nose from Thingiverse. I also made up a 3d printed bezel for the hole I cut in for nadir photos a while ago. I also always had trouble getting the cg far enough forward, so I cut out the motor mount and pushed it forward a bit.

I re-maidened it last weekend for a very short but promising flight. Today I was out at the field and it was real gusty, but I figured if it was flying well the zii should be ok. And it was. Not a long flight, or a particularly graceful one, or a very interesting video because of the wind, but it felt great to have it back up in the air with a camera on board. Also, having flown many many more hours on smaller wings since I last flew this, I feel way more confident than I used to tossing this into the air.

https://youtu.be/mosKxLy5Tn0
Hey not bad for not having flown it in a while, serious windy conditions. Here's a flight with the Z2 I had just last week.
Z2 Across the Great Valley (3 min 51 sec)

BTW - Is this the Valley Forge Signal Seekers flying field? If so, I was a member there in 1981-86; it's where I first learned how to fly mostly glider off the winch. Good to see it's still an active flying field.

Happy Flying!

Mike
Dec 08, 2020, 05:01 PM
Mike, that is beautiful. That landscape reminds me a little bit of the region I have flown a fair amount in eastern Jordan. When I built it, I had plans to bring the ZII here, but it never happened:

Drone Archaeology Survey, Jordan, 2015 (3 min 42 sec)

That IS VFSS. I just joined there a few weeks ago as it is closer to where I live now than the field I used to go to. Nice field for sure. Seems like a nice club, too!
Dec 08, 2020, 06:42 PM
Nice catch Achiii. LoL Yes, surprisingly the two locations look like the same landscape but thousands of miles apart.

Keep on flying!
Mike
Mar 05, 2021, 05:25 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Still got mine!
Apr 21, 2023, 07:41 PM
I'm still flying mine with ruby a.p. and ground station
Nov 30, 2023, 09:42 AM
V
V
Deleted
Last edited by V; Nov 30, 2023 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply