Dec 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
i can vouch for the D40, if you can get your hands on one it will blow your mind!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m
All of this talk of glue and spars is interesting... I bought a second hand Zephyr a couple weeks back. It died on flight number two in a dramatic explosion in the air. Fun to watch, but sad that I didn't get more flights on her.
I used the stock ritewing 1200kv motor and an apc 9x7 prop on 4s with an 85 amp ESC. I was going to try and get a doppler speed reading on it, so after making a nice wide sweeping turn and getting pointed back towards the runway I throttled up to full and began the speed pass, about 2 seconds later the plane exploded. The lipos, esc, motor, and receiver were ejected and flew about 50-100 feet past the impact point of the plane itself. The lipos being the heaviest flew farther than the rest. So after retrieving the plane and examining it there doesn't appear to have been much glue on the main spar, You can see that the plane halves pulled apart about 10 inches, and the carbon is clean, no foam or glue stuck to it. You can see another few inches down into each wing half too and not much glue appears there either.

Oh well, I suppose that's what I get for being lazy and not building myself.
I'll order a new one for a winter project I suppose. And maybe build a Demon in the meantime to satisfy my speed needs...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m
Nope, it had no battery box, just carved out foam.
What kind of box are you building for a battery box? I was thinking about fiber glassing one out of glass cloth and thinned epoxy, or maybe a light ply box? Sorry, new to the thread (and Zephyr's... really wings in general).

I have also seen some builds where the batteries were parallel to the leading edge, one on each side. That would make it much easier for an FPV load in the main bay, and more able to reinforce that area as well. Just getting some ideas to plan for the replacement Zephyr!
Ryan, I have a ZII and live in Beebe. Sometime we should get together. Ive got a couple of wings to bash around with.
Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 PM
Ryan,
Sent you PM. Not sure if it sent?
Dec 18, 2012, 12:50 AM
Aerial DP
Got that big red thing maidened. Tried to fpv maiden it today but somehow i crushed the cc3d programming trying to tune down the stab..... ah well, theres always Wednesday at Daves

zxl los maiden (4 min 11 sec)

talk about doscile. gonna make a great platform for the nex-5
Dec 18, 2012, 12:59 AM
Nice work kloner, if that was the first flight she was damn near trimmed right off the bat eh what kind of throws do u use on yoyr regular z2
Dec 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
Great maiden. I like stability of ZXL. What was at 2:44? Was it flutter effect?
Regards
Michal
Dec 18, 2012, 08:23 AM
Aerial DP
that was the cc3d oscillating from over gain. you shoulda seen it from the ground.... it did it straight overhead

When the airframe is straight getting those ailerons is easy now that i watched Chris do it on a vid...... lays his phone across the ail/wing and looks at the angle.

got the cc3d all reprogrammed with lower gains this time..... more tomorrow

i always do 10mm ele, 12mm ail........ there both the same but they both have fC's that control how fast anything happens.... roll rates, etc

the zxl in the video has 60% ailerons 40% flaps with crow
Dec 18, 2012, 04:28 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....-(build-thread)
Dec 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
Aerial DP
Ruby finally came into my life. The plane i had built for her wound up not being quite right for the controller. I shoulda waited, but that's what foam and glues for.

ZXL's first trip to Daves (0 min 0 sec)
Dec 20, 2012, 03:48 AM
Aka... Chris Graham
Looking good Kloner! Love the dolphins
Dec 22, 2012, 11:52 PM
Aerial DP
Ritewing ZXL fpv @ Daves (6 min 8 sec)
Dec 23, 2012, 02:42 AM
First night of building after the glue dried. Rvosd plate mounted, Gps mounted, servos braided, vtx cut in... sleep, soldering and wiring begins in the Am before a flight to Alberta for Xmas. I dunno if i like building more or flying lol. Both are fun
Dec 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
Aerial DP
lookin good
Dec 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
elliott000,
Have you used the RVOSD before? I want to install one in my ZII. It is only LOS until I get my Popwing lined out with all the fpv gear. It has a RVOSD in it and have learned alot. I will have to relocate my batteries out of the bay. Wanting to put the RVOSD in like you did.
Dec 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
Aerial DP
ZXL-nex5

Quick Reply