Nov 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon
SO your saying you would choose monocoat over the laminate?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monokote would be a light weight way to add color!
That is all I am saying!
It is a pain in the arse to do for me.
I try my best to have someone else do it for me.
I don't have that skill!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2012, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85
and Ian i am sure you know your stuff (i never did physics) but what i can say for sure is even if the curve is right the attached numbers are wrong
The numbers are based on an extrapolation of your 2000W @ 120MPH.

I don't think anyone has dared yet push their ZII faster than you have (in level flight) so nothing above 120MPH has been metered, but as long as no other changes are made (primarily aerodynamic improvements), there's no reason to think the ZII wouldn't adhere to the laws of physics.

For example, with my X8 I noted about 7-8A cruising at 30MPH and 42-45A at 55MPH, which perfectly follows the cube-law when it comes to relating speed and power too (as it should).
Nov 24, 2012, 03:30 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
i think the other problem is efficiency in the caalculation.

My 2000w setup was not very efficient at all and the motor actually go so hot it would burn your hand if you touched it. it was also extremely loud so with a more efficient setup you could make massive increases in speed for the same power input.

mine was probably wasting at least 500w
Nov 24, 2012, 08:54 AM
Mine has monocoat ontop of the lam and about 1500-1600 watts... I have done about 105mph level with no wind.
Nov 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
I Toast Planes
Ok so laminate then mono coat. Sounds like the best plan. Thanks guys
Nov 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon
Ok so laminate then mono coat. Sounds like the best plan. Thanks guys
You got it. Just think of the laminate as a hard shell and the mono coat as the pretty colored design. The first protects you the second gets you noticed.
Nov 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85
i think the other problem is efficiency in the caalculation.

My 2000w setup was not very efficient at all and the motor actually go so hot it would burn your hand if you touched it. it was also extremely loud so with a more efficient setup you could make massive increases in speed for the same power input.

mine was probably wasting at least 500w

Got video link of your very fast wing

Would love to see yours or others who fly very fast to see performance

I am interested in video of very fast example fpv

I would love to see wing climb vertical and dive vertical as example

Would love to see video of someone beat cramp out of this wing

If wing aerodynamic less waste in energy is utilized as everyone knows
Nov 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
it started out with 6z 6600 and a 1400kv 2856 ritewing motor, doppler said about 120 mph - this was not tested thoroughly, i had no osd, etc etc i ended up taking it back to 1500w as it was getting too hot. it had heaps of thrust though. turned about 27000 rpm and was an absolute beast of a thing to fly

it ended up in the water though when i was doing some night flying, i was hucking it about a bit too hard and the horn bent and pulled out of the elevon. stupid me for not attaching it firmly enough and not using a beefy enough horn.

in some of the dives you can see it start to resonate at top speed, this is what happens just before something flutters and explodes.

so anyone wanting to go faster - you need it stiffer than standard...

ritewing ZII setup (2 min 5 sec)

zII maiden (3 min 13 sec)

6s ritewing zephyr 2 (2 min 2 sec)

destroyed ritewing ZII (3 min 49 sec)
Nov 25, 2012, 12:35 AM
Suspended Account
Nice videos and pictures
But not too much fpv video
Nov 25, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hey Brosius, I've only just noted that your 120 MPH build held together (albeit just - ha!) without the structural aid of a wooden battery/component box. That's really encouraging, as from experience I know a well constructed box glued into place adds tons of strength and support against flex.
Nov 25, 2012, 03:43 AM
yeah i used 5 mil lam too, some use 3 mil its much lighter but it wont come out a s stiff. Obviously not needed unless you are going real fast

and there is no FPV video as i did not have a DVR it's all gopro

i have other videos on you YT channel though, fast FPV stuff if you like that kind of thing...
Last edited by brosius85; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
Nov 25, 2012, 04:41 AM
Here is some high speed flying. I had some problems with vibrations under high speeds but i guess i could have done a better build.

Easter in Ringebu mountains with Ritewing Z2 - Flown with Dragonlink (16 min 11 sec)

It was about 1800ish... i think i remember that the current meter stopped at 107 or something.
Nov 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Juninou's:
It was awesome to get together today.
I had lots of laughs and it was very nice!
Lets next week is on the West side!
later!
Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 PM

Z2 camera position

Hi guys,

So I bought a Z2 from Chris. Kinda just presse the buy it button, mistake........I don't think so.

My biggest FPV problem to overcome is my local weather front.......wind!

My flying season is from April to end of November (too cold otherwise).

I would like P&T but don't see many Z's/Z 2's with a flight cam mounted on top. Yes aerodynamically it may not be the greatest idea, but why not.

I basically am taking all my stuff off my Black Skywalker 1900mm and coming over to the darker side with Ritewing. Some who operate the Skywalker X8 mount such a system.

Comments/experience of why or why not to mount a P&T on the Zephyr 2.

In advance, Thanks for looking.
Nov 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
I like pan/tilt on slower flying planes, something like the zii it just isn't too good an idea. It'll also be the first thing you break, happens all the time.

Quick Reply