Molded Ritewing Zephyr ZII - Page 177 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jun 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
brosius85's Avatar
just to clarify i used 1 piece of lam for the bottom and 1 for the top, but only heated a small patch at a time. it comes out as straight as an arrow.

i tried the "warp it one way then warp it back" on my IYF and it was a disaster lol - it looked like a bannana

i guess you need to be really good to get that way to work
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mum is the word!
I do 3 pieces or more always, it makes for a much more true plane.
It keeps schrinkcage and warpage to a minimum and makes it much easier , you cant even see the 6 mm overlaps .
Jun 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
I do 3 pieces or more always, it makes for a much more true plane.
It keeps schrinkcage and warpage to a minimum and makes it much easier , you cant even see the 6 mm overlaps .
3 pieces is the way to go. one for each wing and one down the center. Lamming the top of the wing first, then the bottom. comes out perfectly str8 and tru every time. for some reason same lamming process but doing the bottom first leaves a slight curve to the final product
Jun 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
I had a similar problem. This was the first laminating job I have done. I thought my Hanger 9 iron has temperature settings on the dial. It only had the numbers 1 to 5.

Not having the experience with laminating as well as not having a way to properly set my temperature made it a little difficult to get an even smooth surface. I could tell when it was too hot but until it cooled and wrinkled I couldn't tell when it was not hot enough so I just went back over those areas again.

For future lamination jobs I plan to get a temperature gun and to practice practice practice.
on the Hanger 9 iron with dial 1 - 5. set it to 3. start there and if not quite hot enough go to 3.5. Ive burned up 3 of the hanger 9 irons cause I use them alot but the temp settings on them seems to be pretty consistant. so far 3 - 3.5 has worked perfect on 4 of the Irons of gone thru.
Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrob61
on the Hanger 9 iron with dial 1 - 5. set it to 3. start there and if not quite hot enough go to 3.5. Ive burned up 3 of the hanger 9 irons cause I use them alot but the temp settings on them seems to be pretty consistant. so far 3 - 3.5 has worked perfect on 4 of the Irons of gone thru.
That helps. Thanks for the info.
Jun 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
Registered User
My latest film with my Z2:
Z2 FPV June Compilation - GoPro Breaks (4 min 17 sec)
Jun 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
Registered User
HI, if i am going to apply a carbon fiber vinyl to the plane, do i need to lam it first?
Thanks
Jun 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Michael W.
wootenelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister
HI, if i am going to apply a carbon fiber vinyl to the plane, do i need to lam it first?
Thanks
I'd say no...the purpose of the lam is to protect the foam and to provide strength for the wing...the 3m carbon vinyl would do both of those, and do them well from what everyone is saying on here. I would probably ask some of the guys if they are using 3m spray to adhere the vinyl first, but no, don't lam it first....
Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootenelli
I'd say no...the purpose of the lam is to protect the foam and to provide strength for the wing...the 3m carbon vinyl would do both of those, and do them well from what everyone is saying on here. I would probably ask some of the guys if they are using 3m spray to adhere the vinyl first, but no, don't lam it first....
Thanks, just what i wanted to hear

To "some of the guys" do you think i should use 3m spray (77) on the wing then use the ALREADY ADHESIVE backing on the vinyl or not use the 3m spray.

Thanks
Jun 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Mum is the word!
Hi ,have you read the pdf directions?
I would do the same as you would for lam .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister
Thanks, just what i wanted to hear

To "some of the guys" do you think i should use 3m spray (77) on the wing then use the ALREADY ADHESIVE backing on the vinyl or not use the 3m spray.

Thanks
Last edited by klique; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Jun 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
CASA Certified RPAS Instructor
The_Mongrel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister
Thanks, just what i wanted to hear

To "some of the guys" do you think i should use 3m spray (77) on the wing then use the ALREADY ADHESIVE backing on the vinyl or not use the 3m spray.

Thanks
YES! Spray the 77 first. The vinyl has a sticky back but not enough to hold, and over a short space of time with the wing flexing, it will let go.

I have started and once you spray the 77 and then lay the vinyl, it sticks really well.

No - I didn't lam it either.
Jun 19, 2012, 01:46 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
brosius85's Avatar
i think the lam is a good idea under the carbon vinyl. it is a big strength component

depends how you fly really :/
Jun 19, 2012, 01:53 AM
CASA Certified RPAS Instructor
The_Mongrel's Avatar
Yeah man. If you are going to be pulling some serious Gs, then it might be worth it. But if you are going to be doing general purpose FPV, then not really needed I reckon.

Heck - I have a wing that has a few strategically placed strips of packaging tape and that's all! And it flies OK - when I am not bouncing it!! LOL!!
Jun 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85
i think the lam is a good idea under the carbon vinyl. it is a big strength component

depends how you fly really :/
I agree, the carbon fiber isnt gonna give you the nice stiffness that you get from the lam. Im about to start a new custom build. The customers wants the carbon fiber look. Im going to lam the entire wing as I usually would but then place enough carbon fiber over it to give it the rt look. Ill post some pics as the build begins.
Jun 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Michael W.
wootenelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85
i think the lam is a good idea under the carbon vinyl. it is a big strength component

depends how you fly really :/
do you think that because of the new foam on the z2 that it is not as big of a factor in stiffness?? I bow to you on this one considering i never fly over 60kph....


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Building the ultimate Ritewing Zephyr ThomasWF FPV Talk 34 Feb 20, 2012 05:14 PM
Discussion wing thickness ritewing zephyr Herishi The Builders Workshop 2 Oct 05, 2011 08:36 AM
Discussion Ritewing Zephyr hobbycity motor nexstarselect FPV Talk 2 Mar 07, 2011 04:37 PM