New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ho-Jazz is offline
Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Taking care of business
Ho-Jazz's Avatar
Paintball Z2's at SEFF right now.
http://campl.us/ct4t79lvzga
Will post after pics too.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-Jazz View Post
Paintball Z2's at SEFF right now.
http://campl.us/ct4t79lvzga
Will post after pics too.
How can I get a couple of those Ritewing logos? I really want to put a pair on the bottom of my ZII.

Vince
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
paintz2007 is offline
Find More Posts by paintz2007
Guess Who's Back? :D
paintz2007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
How can I get a couple of those Ritewing logos? I really want to put a pair on the bottom of my ZII.

Vince
yea +1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
MrBen. is offline
Find More Posts by MrBen.
Great Britain
MrBen.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv-tor View Post
Hey guys.
I finally tok the leap and ordered a Z2
Im looking at this covering film
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250964254951...=p5197.c0.m619

Does anyone know how many of those i need to order?

Cheers.
well i got about 3m x 0.6m of lam with mine so I would say 2 rolls!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
traderdmb is offline
Find More Posts by traderdmb
FPV nut
traderdmb's Avatar
I hate to keep harping on this stuff but I now have closure! I actually found the RUBY today! That means FLIGHT DATA!!!! So, I walked along the estimated path today and low and behold, there she is, THE RUBY!! After reviewing the file, I discovered that I was 3826 feet and traveling 115 mph when the camera tore loose, went into the prop, broke the prop. That caused the motor to be majorly unbalanced at 15k RPM and poof! The entire plane tore to pieces and folded due to an abrupt pitch change at 115 mph. So there you have it! More than a month under investigation and I will no longer look for more parts. I am happy that I found the RUBY today! I would be remiss if I didn't, again, stress that this was not the planes design, this was not the fault of the RUBY. This was my dumb underestimate of what kind of support you need for the camera when you are hitting 115 mph. Lesson Learned! Dont hot glue the camera on laminate! no sh** right?

Name: IMG_2633[1].jpg
Views: 195
Size: 319.7 KB
Description:
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
I hate to keep harping on this stuff but I now have closure! I actually found the RUBY today! That means FLIGHT DATA!!!! So, I walked along the estimated path today and low and behold, there she is, THE RUBY!! After reviewing the file, I discovered that I was 3826 feet and traveling 115 mph when the camera tore loose, went into the prop, broke the prop. That caused the motor to be majorly unbalanced at 15k RPM and poof! The entire plane tore to pieces and folded due to an abrupt pitch change at 115 mph. So there you have it! More than a month under investigation and I will no longer look for more parts. I am happy that I found the RUBY today! I would be remiss if I didn't, again, stress that this was not the planes design, this was not the fault of the RUBY. This was my dumb underestimate of what kind of support you need for the camera when you are hitting 115 mph. Lesson Learned! Dont hot glue the camera on laminate! no sh** right?

Attachment 4811722
For my closure. In what direction did you find these parts and about how far were they from the motor and plane location?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
superevan is online now
Find More Posts by superevan
Registered User
superevan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
I hate to keep harping on this stuff but I now have closure! I actually found the RUBY today! That means FLIGHT DATA!!!! ....
That is so awesome you found the 'black box'! Reminds me of one of those shows that dissects an air catastrophe only there is a real lesson for all of us to learn at the end.

Did you end up with any video recorded to go with your retrieved data?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
Ian Davidson is offline
Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Registered User
Amazing conclusion traderdmb - very impressive indeed
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:20 AM
fpv-tor is offline
Find More Posts by fpv-tor
Registered User
fpv-tor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen. View Post
well i got about 3m x 0.6m of lam with mine so I would say 2 rolls!
Thanx
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:03 AM
brosius85 is offline
Find More Posts by brosius85
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
brosius85's Avatar
wow great story! what are the odds of finding it!? one in a million id say.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 AM
traderdmb is offline
Find More Posts by traderdmb
FPV nut
traderdmb's Avatar
The parts were about 1/4 mile WNW from the motor.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
sharonx is offline
Find More Posts by sharonx
Registered User
sharonx's Avatar
When ZII crashes far far away :

http://vimeo.com/41021702
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:48 AM
MrBen. is offline
Find More Posts by MrBen.
Great Britain
MrBen.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
When ZII crashes far far away :

http://vimeo.com/41021702
Hey cool a RVOSD user Where did you put RVOSD? Have you got a build thread anywhere? Im building mine now and was thinking about putting it in the back compartment just in front of the motor. Do you need an anti vibration mount for the OSD?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
The parts were about 1/4 mile WNW from the motor.
Ok. The motor left the wing before the Ruby. A 1/4 mile later the Ruby left. Then the wing drifted another 3/4 mile to its landing site.

The batteries were probably the first to go followed by the motor. They would be probably not worth anything after being out for this long.

Don't know if anything can trigger them to ignite now. Just keep you eyes out for a forest fire due east of you then deny everything.

Did you get any GPS data out of the Ruby like GPS about where it was when it lost power?
Last edited by Eagle202; Apr 26, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:07 PM
Locko is offline
Find More Posts by Locko
Registered User
Locko's Avatar
Man these Z2 are amazing aircraft, my hat goes off to Mr Chris. Flying these wings is like going Surfing, Carving up the sky

http://player.vimeo.com/video/41004685"]
Zephyr2 in Pemberton (3 min 35 sec)
[/URL]


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Building the ultimate Ritewing Zephyr ThomasWF FPV Talk 34 Feb 20, 2012 06:14 PM
Discussion wing thickness ritewing zephyr Herishi The Builders Workshop 2 Oct 05, 2011 09:36 AM
Discussion Ritewing Zephyr hobbycity motor nexstarselect FPV Talk 2 Mar 07, 2011 05:37 PM