Oct 20, 2011, 11:40 PM
Mum is the word!
Thread OP
Discussion

Molded Ritewing Zephyr ZII

A new big little Monster .

Here is the Ritewing ZII molded in Magic foam.
The Zeph has been a work in progress for a few years, it has never been avail as a buy it now off my website.

I have gone through extensive design tweaks over the last few years and look what has happened.

The new one builds out with lam only and needs no weave with 90.
It can be built an easy 8 to 10 oz lighter than the EPP version,it has the wing area of the 60" EPP version in a 56'' wingspan.
The wing area of the 54'' EPP Zeph is appx 700 SQ inches and this one new version comes in at 770 SQ in.

The lighter type foam ,the extra wing area and slightly new build style will really help its lower speed capabilities and easier launch and landing issues while still maintaining the original Zephs handling.

I built both of these wings in the attached pix on and off over a 3 day period.

I am thinking since its my birthday tomorrow Oct 21 I mite start a pre sale here .

I spent some time in the factory today and they are looking great,woo hoo!!! MADE IN THE USA!!!!!

Here is a few pix and a vid of the maidn test flight to show you the Zephs proven stability that's been passed on to the ZII .

I figure even though the vid is not fpv I wouldn't be flying any other plane 1 ft from my face while shooting vid with my throttle hand, its a true testament of tracking and stability.

The Cam box and skids are all in the works to get these items cnc laser cut and avail.
The nose comes designed for this thickness of the blunt , these can be cut in and placed by the builder.
The nose comes blunt with no cam box cut out.

I have listened to you guys allot over the last few years and really tried to incorporate allot of ideas while not going overboard with it being to exacting.
This will allow for allot of newer gear and room to mod and grow with technology.

Hope you guys like it ,I dont have my Super Duty anymore, ,lol lots of love lots of passion and way too much money has been spent to bring this to you.

The Foam is not EPP , its called EPOR and is slightly less duarble, is alot like easystar type epo foam , it builds way faster its substancially easier , it requires no weave.
The lam film is awesome on this foam and goes down like glass.
My build came out 10 oz lighter than most zephs do.

New Rite wing outrunner motor and esc combo info.

They are appx 150 gram 1300 kv outrunner, I would say just about dead on eqiv in size to the a 30 1185 kv hacker.
My esc is a nice 60 amp ritewing generic that has been found to be just about bullet proof so far.
I am also programming the esc's timing and break before they go out, and I am also making custom thrust bushing for the pusher aplication, this will help the strain on the c clip of the motor.

So if you want a proven setup thats basicly setup to go , then this mite be good for you.
Whats nice is it will do 3s or 4 dep on your prop choice.

I mite also bring in some 1000 kv and 1100 kv for some tesing on 5s setups for super efficiency.

Here is a vid of the 1300 kv outrunner on 3s and 10/5 prop.

ZII Ritewing Zephyr test runs with go pro (6 min 55 sec)

Now I can drop some prices for you in return for all the loyal support.

Base price is appx about 130.00 $

And sales can happen at any time,lol

Maidn flight vid

Molded Ritewing Zephyr II Maidn flights (6 min 35 sec)

It will be added to ritewingrc.com tomorow

Email me at ritewing@hotmail.com if you need more info

Hey guys we have had a few issues with the ESC' s because alot of people dont understand that onces you go 4s you need a seperate bec or reciver power.
In most ESC's the output is about 3 amps when the esc is running on 3s input power .

The issue is once you feed the esc with 4s its bec has to work double hard to lower the voltage ,this also drops it amp supply capabilties down .
When this happens it creates alot of heat,with our big servos and newer RX's its over amping the bec's capabilities.

This can cause the BEC to fail and short then over volt your servos RX and even take out the motor and esc if it fails in a drastic way.
And or melt down the entire plane.
I always suggest using a seperate BEC with a higher volt input and higher amp output put than the ones that come in the esc.

We are flying expensive fast planes here so dont loose your plane due to non proper setups.

A 3 amp stock ESC BEC used on full sized servos is asking for problems, and using it on 4s is just about ensuring them.

We have had two issues due to this and we need to help all that dont know and dont have the experiance with 4s and up.
I have seen one esc meltdown in the plane , and one burn and take out the motor esc and one servo.
Please use quality connectors and methods , know your amp draw and vent those esc's please.

Here is the castle diagram on disableing a BEC thats in the esc and running a seperate BEC system.
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ro_wiring.html
Last edited by klique; Mar 13, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! i'll take 2
Oct 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
where can I get some of that carbon fiber covering?
Oct 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
Balsa addict
Emailed...
Oct 21, 2011, 12:15 AM
Suspended Account
Pretty cool. Looks like a nice fpv ship. What battery is in it?
Oct 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
the one in the vid has a 3s 5000
Oct 21, 2011, 12:32 AM
Mum is the word!
Thread OP
The bays are designed around 2 4s 3300 , but I have seen 2 4s 4000's and a few diff types pairs 3s 5000's fit .
Its all a balancing game between cams gear and motor placement.
Oct 21, 2011, 12:33 AM
Emailed as well!
Oct 21, 2011, 01:29 AM
Aw man, this thing looks sweet! Got too many projects ATM, might have to pass .

Regards

Doug
Oct 21, 2011, 01:47 AM
Awesome Chris! Can you comment on the elasticity of the EPOR vs. EPP? I am wondering about crash worthiness. Does it deform and spring back like EPP or is it more stiff and brittle like EPS?
Oct 21, 2011, 02:28 AM
Mum is the word!
Thread OP
Rite por is a hybred like epo with similar properties its alot like the mutiplex foam and the epo china stuff.
Laminating makes it verry tough,plus the lam goes down so nice.
It is not like styrene that will flake peel and break easy. Its tolerent to CA epoxy gorilla glueand lite paints, I found the heavy dark colored spray paints will make it swell and or melt a tad if done too heavy,it doesnt like goop of any kind and or 3 m 90 glue.
Any heavy solvent based stuf that doesnt flash fast will mar it.
A few lite coats works fine esp flats,the lam turns them glossy anyways.

It is not as bouncy as epp so it builds stiffer and lighter with alot less weight and sparring,dents bumps and bruises come rite out with some hot water or an iron with a wet rag and patience.,or just dont worry about it

It is fairly durable as one piece once its laminated compared to models made of the stuff in multiple non lamiated pieces.
I hit a few branches and bumped it in hard on the nose and LE when the cg was first being tuned.

I used a little heat with the iron on the lam and the wrinkles are almost un
noticable.

But whats nice is its stiffer ligther truer and can be built in 1/4 the time the older zephyr could.
You can do a fully custom layout on it and utilze my design with yours.
Or build it simple with your own littel mods incorported into the bays and barely change it.

I have been flying the heck out of this thing and love it.
The wing now is cheaper and easier to build.

I built two in 3 days while I was learning the new type of build.
Most peope here know EPO types of planes well so it should not be too hard.
This plane just happens to have a lot of flat foam so dont
set heavy stuff all over it,lol
770 sq inches of wing area is alot.
Last edited by klique; Nov 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Oct 21, 2011, 02:45 AM
MultiRotor Jedi
Great work CK.
Looks sweeeeeeet
So the wing is one piece, i guess it will have a much slower stall speed over Zeph1? If you build this one light, what do you think the stall speed would be?
Do you think it would slope well if kept light enough?
Also what comes in the kit?

Nice work mate, still love thrashing the Zephyr
Happy burpday !
Simon
Oct 21, 2011, 02:46 AM
klique, Habby B-DAY
Oct 21, 2011, 03:09 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Doesn't seem fair that for your birthday you're giving all of us the presents.

Happy birthday! I'll probably end up buying one!

Blues
Oct 21, 2011, 04:04 AM
Suspended Account
Oh Chris, dude, I want one, or rather two ... where do I get my fix?

Quick Reply