Official Eflite UMX Beast 3D - Page 49 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Turnerm,

Nice flying! Loved the long torque-rolls & hovers. The torque-rolling tail-slide was very cool! Things came up, so I didn't get a chance to fly today. Wind was in the teens with gusts in the mid-20s, so it was just as well. I plan to make a day of it tomorrow, though. Wind is supposed to be 5-10 MPH, with temps in the low-30s. Should be a great day to fly! I plan to also fly the B3D with the V1 motor + 5043.

Was nice to hear the motor & environment. But you do pick great tunes, and they seem to fit your flights.

Joel
Thanks Joel. I was having some fun with it. I wish I could've pulled off the roof/tree collision. Would've been cool if I could've flown out of that!! I tried!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun
I'm a little leery of adding more elevator deflection. I tried sudden full up elevator while flying level and it just corkscrews to the right. I'm thinking any more and I might get myself in trouble.
I have trouble even getting vertical!! This plane could use a LOT more elevator throw.
Dec 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
It lacks elevator authority in a big way!! I felt this on the V1 Beast too but I think I thought it was too much expo. So I reduced my elevator expo down to nearly zero and it helped a bit.

Maybe I'll try negative expo on the 3D Beast to see if it helps.

tMan,


I sooo agree!

Gyro fights.
Yep!

All is well when you are just flying around.
Start pushing the limits and she gets weird at random times.

I've never felt such a disconnected feeling from a plane.

I suppose I'm being harsh but it's because I know how she flies without the AS3X system.




rc
Dec 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Registered User
flynfrfun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I have trouble even getting vertical!! This plane could use a LOT more elevator throw.
While mine doesn't have what I would call 3D elevator authority, it has enough for most aggressive acro. I would like more for the spins as I feel it doesn't spin tight enough.
Dec 28, 2011, 09:27 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I have trouble even getting vertical!! This plane could use a LOT more elevator throw.
Both my buddy and I can get vertical ROG in an instant. We have vertical drag races to compare props, batteries, etc. Very unscientific, but fun! We have them sitting in front of us and "ready, set, go" nail the throttle and are vertical after about a 2 foot roll.
Dec 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
Registered User
flynfrfun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
tMan,


I sooo agree!

Gyro fights.
Yep!

All is well when you are just flying around.
Start pushing the limits and she gets weird at random times.

I've never felt such a disconnected feeling from a plane.

I suppose I'm being harsh but it's because I know how she flies without the AS3X system.




rc
I'm no expert, but I think the AS3X really just makes the Beast fly more like a pattern plane. Coincidentally, that is what I was wanting for my next plane, so it's working for me. However, if I really wanted a 3D capable plane, this would not be it....not even close....at least with what I know about it at this time. Maybe future tweaks or mods will unlock some middle ground that will make guys like you happier with it.
Dec 28, 2011, 09:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Both my buddy and I can get vertical ROG in an instant. We have vertical drag races to compare props, batteries, etc. Very unscientific, but fun! We have them sitting in front of us and "ready, set, go" nail the throttle and are vertical after about a 2 foot roll.
Hmmmm... Interesting. Did you watch my video? Watch when I try to get into a hover. I really have to work to get vertical. Can you get vertical easily at low speed - same from harrier?

I've always assumed that I shouldn't increase my travel adjust on these micros but now I'm wondering.
Dec 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
tMan,


I sooo agree!

Gyro fights.
Yep!

All is well when you are just flying around.
Start pushing the limits and she gets weird at random times.

I've never felt such a disconnected feeling from a plane.

I suppose I'm being harsh but it's because I know how she flies without the AS3X system.




rc
i mostly like it but it drives me crazy when it gets in the way. I had another crash today while doing a low inverted harrier. I just couldn't seem to pull out as it slowly descended. It's hard to say if it was my fault or not but it sure FELT like it wasn't responding the way I expected it to that's for sure.

But the biggest issue by far seems to be that sometimes, when I'm in really high alpha KE, it just does NOT want to turn. I know from doing this with the V1 Beast that I'm all over the sticks to keep it balanced in High Alpha, but ialos know that it does whatever I tell it to. With the gyro I feel like I lose control in situations that require very precise stick movements.
Dec 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Hmmmm... Interesting. Did you watch my video? Watch when I try to get into a hover. I really have to work to get vertical. Can you get vertical easily at low speed - same from harrier?

I've always assumed that I shouldn't increase my travel adjust on these micros but now I'm wondering.
Ah... that... IC what you are saying. Yes, we have plenty of speed when we go vertical. I notice you can have full up elevator harriers and it isn't vertical. You have to kick the throttle to get vertical. Yup...
Dec 28, 2011, 09:48 PM
Registered User
TexasFlyer's Avatar
Today, I played with "opposite" expo on elevator and rudder (ie, more responsive around center). I had about 30% on rudder and that definitely helped with KE flight. I am still moving the elevator opposite expo up and got to about 45% before I had to leave. It did seem to help with rolling harriers and turning in rolling circles was easier (didn't have to move the stick as far), but I think I'll bump it up even more. Something else I'd like to try is adding more surface area to elevator. I usually don't fly fast so I shouldn't over-tax the servos.

I'm really loving the wind handling capability! We fly to my parent's home about twice a year and I had left my QQ Yak to fly here because it is big enough to handle the afternoon winds (too cold in the mornings!). But space is limited and the Yak covers ground quickly. I think I'll mail the Yak home and just bring my B3D next time as a carry-on. I'm actually having more fun with it than the Yak!

RC: Sorry to hear it's not meeting your expectations. I never flew the V1 so can't compare, but I really have not felt disconnected with mine. Have you tried anyone elses to ensure it isn't just your model?

Alan
Dec 28, 2011, 10:05 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
the biggest issue by far seems to be that sometimes, when I'm in really high alpha KE, it just does NOT want to turn.
All rudder, is that right? 'Cause it definitely ignores ailerons at slow speed, but I find rudder always brings mine around (at least for what little I can do)
Dec 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Alan - sounds like you beat me to it. Negative expo may indeed help. I must tested my throws on the elevator and rudder at travel adjust settings of 100 and 150. It made a pretty big difference. The only thing I'm concerned about is binding a servo at this setting.

Anyone else tried this on a micro before??
Dec 28, 2011, 10:13 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
All rudder, is that right? 'Cause it definitely ignores ailerons at slow speed, but I find rudder always brings mine around (at least for what little I can do)
Sorry... Should've been clearer. I meant high alpha knife edge. So I'm using elevator to turn. You can see two instances of this is my last video (at least two instances) at 34 and 45 seconds. I was applying constant elevator I I put throughout those circuits but at certain points it just didn't want to keep turning. Instead it fought to hold straight.
Dec 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Sorry... Should've been clearer. I meant high alpha knife edge. So I'm using elevator to turn. You can see two instances of this is my last video (at least two instances) at 34 and 45 seconds. I was applying constant elevator I I put throughout those circuits but at certain points it just didn't want to keep turning. Instead it fought to hold straight.
Ah, got it....

I enjoyed the video, but did not closely look at those particular moments yet... I wonder if the breeze, plus 'needs' was greater than authority/throw for elevator could provide... or stalled surface... if so, again, an apparent limitation of the Beast 3D's physical setup than odd behavior by the gyro/ASX... just speculating/thinking out loud...

I know I'm gonna be looking at more throw on elevator before next outing.
Dec 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Another example is around the 1:25 mark. I just had to abort th KE this time.

I figured out towards the end of my flights today the if I tilted my wings a hair during KE that it seemed to turn better. In other words, if I didn't keep my wombs perpendicular...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 19846 Nov 02, 2017 11:30 PM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast w/3batt and charger $120 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 06, 2011 10:40 PM
Wanted eflite UMX Beast fnlrun Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Dec 12, 2010 05:23 AM
Sold eflite UMX BEAST TERMAGATOR Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Dec 04, 2010 02:16 AM