Jul 01, 2016, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha
Drone,

Kalmon has provided good advice and certainly the Apprentice is a very good plane. A few have them at my club.

However from an Australian point of view the Apprentice S with safe is about $490 (comes with everything) and the Bixler 3 (needs radio, battery, charger, and Rx) is $142.
(note that video was showing a Bixler 2)

At clubs in Aust.(certainly mine), no beginner flies solo, we always use buddy box and an experienced pilot will do their utmost to ensure the plane 1. can fly and 2. won't crash as you learn.

The Apprentice comes with a DX5e which you won't need if you buy the DX6 (The DX5e is nowhere near as featured as the DX6), I am not sure if you can get the Apprentice without the Radio and Rx. but it will still be more than 2 of the Bixler 3's leaving you plenty to buy a stabiliser for under $30 if you feel you need one.

If you want to start flying "planks" I suggest you get or use a SIM to practice with.

There are so many options and it will depend on your $$$ budget and just what you want to do.

What ever you decide good luck.
I didnt actually get the bundle (long story) . I really like the look of the Apprentice but I find that hobby shops round my area don't stock it yet, and it's also $350 minimum. That's why I'll look for one either second hand or save up.

Also I understand this forum has gotten off topic because of me, so I will now unhijack it and leave you in peace.

Thank you for everyones help and hopefully soon in the future I'll be able to buy a Bixler.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2016, 07:03 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Drone,

Kalmon has provided good advice and certainly the Apprentice is a very good plane. A few have them at my club.

However from an Australian point of view the Apprentice S with safe is about $490 (comes with everything) and the Bixler 3 (needs radio, battery, charger, and Rx) is $142.
(note that video was showing a Bixler 2)

At clubs in Aust.(certainly mine), no beginner flies solo, we always use buddy box and an experienced pilot will do their utmost to ensure the plane 1. can fly and 2. won't crash as you learn.

The Apprentice comes with a DX5e which you won't need if you buy the DX6 (The DX5e is nowhere near as featured as the DX6), I am not sure if you can get the Apprentice without the Radio and Rx. but it will still be more than 2 of the Bixler 3's leaving you plenty to buy a stabiliser for under $30 if you feel you need one.

If you want to start flying "planks" I suggest you get or use a SIM to practice with.

There are so many options and it will depend on your $$$ budget and just what you want to do.

What ever you decide good luck.
holy price difference batman!
Here in the. US The BNF version of the ApprenticeS is around $270 new and there are many used RTFs available for <$200. In fact there is one for $130 just a 2 hrs drive from me now.
I missed that Drone was in Aust.
At a club here it is the same way for learning. No one flies solo until ready and Buddy Boxes are used. However also here in the US there are a LARGE percentage of people who never join a club and fly large planes (apprentice sized) at the numerous parks/soccer fields/Football fields. These people are the ones that need the SAFE+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneRequired
I didnt actually get the bundle (long story) . I really like the look of the Apprentice but I find that hobby shops round my area don't stock it yet, and it's also $350 minimum. That's why I'll look for one either second hand or save up.

Also I understand this forum has gotten off topic because of me, so I will now unhijack it and leave you in peace.

Thank you for everyones help and hopefully soon in the future I'll be able to buy a Bixler.
There is nothing wrong with any of the Bixlers (1,2,3) just make sure you've got a buddy box. What you saw in that video, after the initial nose dive, was two times the pilot gave the wrong aileron when the plane was coming at him. This is Extremely common.
Honestly if you join a Club they'll tell you what they recommend and within reason, follow that advice.
If you're not going to join a club get a plane with SAFE. If you want cheap I hear Lemon RX is working on a SAFE knockoff and should be out soon.

Note: Don't let a club pressure you into getting a gas/glow plane! Unless you REALLY want one.
-Brian
Jul 01, 2016, 08:16 AM

Official Eflite UMX Beast 3D

I would certainly buy it but I would definitely put the beast on the shelf until you've cut your teeth on a more docile plane.
Wait, is it the UMX Beast with AS3x or without?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 06, 2016, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
There is nothing wrong with any of the Bixlers (1,2,3) just make sure you've got a buddy box. What you saw in that video, after the initial nose dive, was two times the pilot gave the wrong aileron when the plane was coming at him. This is Extremely common.
Honestly if you join a Club they'll tell you what they recommend and within reason, follow that advice.
Other big glaring error was 15' max altitude... launch the Bix in a large area and fly it straight out while you climb to at least a hundred feet so you have room, if you put in wrong aileron, to put in correct aileron and pull out of a dive.

All of this is moot if learning at a club, they won't let you do the beginner mistakes.
Jul 06, 2016, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
holy price difference batman!
Here in the. US The BNF version of the ApprenticeS is around $270 new and there are many used RTFs available for <$200. In fact there is one for $130 just a 2 hrs drive from me now.
I missed that Drone was in Aust.
At a club here it is the same way for learning. No one flies solo until ready and Buddy Boxes are used. However also here in the US there are a LARGE percentage of people who never join a club and fly large planes (apprentice sized) at the numerous parks/soccer fields/Football fields. These people are the ones that need the SAFE+.

If you're not going to join a club get a plane with SAFE. If you want cheap I hear Lemon RX is working on a SAFE knockoff and should be out soon.

Note: Don't let a club pressure you into getting a gas/glow plane! Unless you REALLY want one.
-Brian
I'll look for a Club but I dony think I'll be successful, RC isn't widespread enough in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingskwerrl
I would certainly buy it but I would definitely put the beast on the shelf until you've cut your teeth on a more docile plane.
Wait, is it the UMX Beast with AS3x or without?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Other big glaring error was 15' max altitude... launch the Bix in a large area and fly it straight out while you climb to at least a hundred feet so you have room, if you put in wrong aileron, to put in correct aileron and pull out of a dive.

All of this is moot if learning at a club, they won't let you do the beginner mistakes.
Jul 06, 2016, 07:30 PM
Born to lose-live to win!!
Hey drone. Hollar at chucktseeker!! Hes around that area i believe.
Jul 07, 2016, 07:40 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
I'll look for a Club but I dony think I'll be successful, RC isn't widespread enough in Australia.
Try this ...

http://www.gmac.org.au/index.php/abo...ictorian-clubs
Jul 08, 2016, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Thank you!!!!!!!!
Jul 09, 2016, 12:59 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Thank you!!!!!!!!
If you would like to come out to GMAC sometime PM me.
Apr 15, 2017, 05:12 PM
My elevator is broken on the narrow area where it passes in front of the rudder. One side moves but the other doesn't.

I'm going to try to repair it. If the repair attempt fails, how difficult is it to replace the elevator and rudder?
Apr 17, 2017, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
My elevator is broken on the narrow area where it passes in front of the rudder. One side moves but the other doesn't.

I'm going to try to repair it. If the repair attempt fails, how difficult is it to replace the elevator and rudder?
it's impossible.

Just kidding it's not too bad. What are you trying to repair it with? I'd simply CA a small carbon fiber flat in there, one of the 1x3mm pieces, I don't know that a glue joint alone will work
Apr 17, 2017, 02:27 PM
Quote:
it's impossible.

Just kidding it's not too bad. What are you trying to repair it with? I'd simply CA a small carbon fiber flat in there, one of the 1x3mm pieces, I don't know that a glue joint alone will work
That's what I was thinking, a small carbon strip and some CA.

This Beast is really beat up bad. I've already got a new wing set for it, and a new fuse isn't too bad on price, and get a new tail set and I'll have a new Beast

I'll try the repair first though
Apr 17, 2017, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
That's what I was thinking, a small carbon strip and some CA.

This Beast is really beat up bad. I've already got a new wing set for it, and a new fuse isn't too bad on price, and get a new tail set and I'll have a new Beast

I'll try the repair first though
If you do the replacement make sure you wiggle free the rear fuse that locks over top of the h stab, and then remove the tail because there are two foam locating "pins" in there that ensure you get the alignment correct when you replace it. It's all glued though. And if you just slice off the tail, you'll remove the foam bumps and have a harder time with a new one.
Apr 17, 2017, 04:34 PM
Quote:
If you do the replacement make sure you wiggle free the rear fuse that locks over top of the h stab, and then remove the tail because there are two foam locating "pins" in there that ensure you get the alignment correct when you replace it. It's all glued though. And if you just slice off the tail, you'll remove the foam bumps and have a harder time with a new one.
Thanks for the tip, I would have just sliced the knife through it and messed everything up
Apr 23, 2017, 02:46 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Are there two different version? Saw an used one but not sure which version it is.

Quick Reply