Nov 03, 2012, 09:24 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
I agree. And I REALLY liked the Sbach. They are both great but the B3D is just perfect for my yard. Limitless power, high lift, the ability to fly slow on the wing, no coupling, wind handling, stability, this is quite a long list!

The only thing the S3D has on it is speed. For IMAC style flight the S3D might have an edge with the clean airframe and nice round loops, but other than that the B3D is just amazing.

-Brian
I totally agree, to me the S3D has been a disappointment in comparison. I still like it but it seems to struggle to do things the beast just laughs at.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2012, 10:18 PM
**I'm Battman**
RC,

Yeah, the ability to do KE loops at half-throttle is pure Beast-crack! Once you try it, there is no going back!

Hundreds of 3s flights - many in winds that would ground most giant-scale ships. Thousands of balls-to-the-wall passes, power-climbs, 'drill-bit maneuvers', power-climbs and big-air maneuvers. Thousands of KE loops, spins, and snaps. Staggering peak G-loads, repeated over & over & over again. Not a single sign of structural overload, nor a single case of aerodynamic flutter.

I am reluctant to say this. I've been holding off....hoping that something will change as I get more stick-time on the plane. As much as I enjoy flying the S3D, the B3D is still by far my favorite. It simply does so many things so well.

I think the Beast may be as close to being a perfect design as an aircraft can get. It has absolutely zero bad habits, the only limit to its aerobatic capability is the pilot, it handles 300W/pound with ease, and it withstands repetitive peak G-loads that would literally shred lesser planes in a matter of milliseconds. The bar has been set very, very high...

Joel[/QUOTE]

---------

I enjoy all my UM planes but my 3S powered B3D is my fav.
I believe she is way ahead of her time!!
Quique designed an amazing ultra-micro.
AS3X made her even better.

I've tried my very best to rip the wings off her in flight with violent aerobatics.
No go.
Her size is her strength.

Lately I've been addicted to KE on the deck.
I try to never let her get above eye level.
If I ever mess up, she will probably lose both wings.
3S power along with the AS3X system just begs to go lower.

When I get the really calm conditions, I go into my touch-n-go routine.
My parking lot is 40 yards long.
I take off low and slow, coming at myself.
At the end of the pavement, I go WOT vertical til she's a speck.
Chop power, spin like crazy all the way down, pull out and nail the touch-n-go.
Repeat!
Her ability to slow down so quickly makes it all possible.

My 3S powered Beast 3D AUW with my Hyp (3S) 180 is 76g.
Wheel pants and spinner included.

rc
Nov 04, 2012, 12:59 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
I have not run any of my 2cell micros on 3 cell, so I can't compare. I have to say, stock for stock, I am having a devil of a time picking between my Beast 3D and the new Sbach 3D. Trying hard not to just go with the "bright new shiny thing" factor. The Beast is great in terms of stability, snap rolls, PURE LOOKS (just looks awesome) and ability to handle the wind. It very good in harrier, good in hover, and plenty of power for uplines, IMAC type aerobatics, etc.

The Sbach is even BETTER in harrier, probably a touch better in hover, UNTIL IT FALLS OUT, then it is a bear as it looses altitude MUCH quicker and is harder to recover than the beast. Its about the same, maybe a HAIR better in knife edge (with SF Generators) though it's close. It is faster, and the roll rate (without the SF generators) is unbelievably fast. Just as good, if not a hair better in wind.

Both good in spins / blenders. Both VERY solid in low to calm winds.

Hard for me to pick between them right now. Might have to give the 3 cell experience a try, just to see the difference between them using BIG POWER!

Bottom line, both are amazing for their size and price point. HH has done GREAT with these little marvels.

Marlin
Nov 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
Boost rules!
Marlin,

Nice comparison!

We're finally getting some decent flying wx. It's supposed to be around 48 F & sunny this afternoon, with a 3-7 MPH breeze. Doesn't get much better than that around here this time of year. My packs are charging!

Joel
Nov 04, 2012, 10:29 AM
Which way is up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Marlin,

Nice comparison!

We're finally getting some decent flying wx. It's supposed to be around 48 F & sunny this afternoon, with a 3-7 MPH breeze. Doesn't get much better than that around here this time of year. My packs are charging!

Joel
We usualy get pretty much what you guys do, only about 3 or 4 days later, as the weather moves over Lake Michigan and onto us. Sometimes the lake gives it a good working over though! Later this week is supposed to be some nice weather around here. Havent flown my CP in a couple weeks now.
Nov 04, 2012, 01:02 PM
turboparker and rcbabbel

thanks much for tips RE: KE loops.

so its possible with powerful 2s--but easier with 3s...
I have tried battery in neutral and slighltly aft positions--I shall try again
with my 300mah nanotech today.
Nov 04, 2012, 01:09 PM
Lots of practice helps.
Nov 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Marlin,

Nice comparison!

Joel
Just GREAT here today as well. Finally above 0 C (probably +3C or around 40 F) and sunny, very little wind. Have been out all morning flying the UM Spitfire, UMX SBach and Blade 300. Beast is next. Going to be a GLORIOUS day, as our snow melts away. YESSS!

Might pop over to RCBabbel's blog and check out the pricing on those 3s packs, you guys have me SOOO intrigued. BTW, tried a KE loop or two on my SBach 3D, and it whipped through them no problem, but I have the SF Gens on so that helps. They really do change the flying characteristics of this plane a TON! Great in KE, not a big difference for Harrier, but really slow down the roll rate.

I have not been able to do what I would call a nice KE loop with my Beast yet, but I am going to try again today. As was said above, practice practice practice.

Keep flying Joel!

Marlin
Nov 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
**I'm Battman**
Marlin,

Light weight 3S batts give my Beast enough power for very large KE loops.
It's amazing how much power and practice it takes to keep them symmetrical.

rc
Nov 06, 2012, 07:42 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim
turboparker and rcbabbel

thanks much for tips RE: KE loops.

so its possible with powerful 2s--but easier with 3s...
I have tried battery in neutral and slighltly aft positions--I shall try again
with my 300mah nanotech today.
One more suggestion: Don't try to make it perfect when you start doing them... A slanted KE loop is much easier to do. If you go for the perfect KE loop, it's perfectly ok if it's not a nice circle. The hardest part is really coming back to your entry point. If you get mad because you're much lower, and all you think is trying to get it perfect, you won't. Let it go lower and simply aim for a little higher everytime. Eventually, you'll get a perfect one.

Personally, I kind of like the Beast to be very light, so I'm not sure doing it with a 300mah battery is the way to go. That's a lot of extra weight, that you have to bring back level at the end of the loop. I can do it with a 180mah NanoTech 2S, though, it's much better to do that early in the flight than at the end!
Last edited by RealGambler; Nov 06, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Nov 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the cute replies. I was drunk. Kind`a true, tho. Have a nice day. Spelling OK this tyme?
Last edited by Skyepuncher; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Nov 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyepuncher
Self rightouus pricks Ignore everyone who is not in Yer "click" all good
Surely you mean clique.

-Brian
Nov 07, 2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Surely you mean clique.

-Brian
Hahaha... touche'... especially since he got a warm welcome to his first post in this thread by SilentPilot.
Nov 07, 2012, 03:55 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Originally Posted by Skyepuncher:

[deleted]
Last edited by pugsam; Nov 08, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Nov 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
BMFA 190658
Moi?

I've just had a look back because I'm not sure what you were referring to. Went back to page 199 but find anything...
I don't mean to wind people up, was I just having a bad day?

Tony

Quick Reply