Sep 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Yep!

The more I fly my 3SB3D the less I fly my 'uncivilized' V1.

rc
I think the Dos Equis guy says it best...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I think the Dos Equis guy says it best...
LOL! You fly vicariously through yourself.
Sep 04, 2012, 03:58 PM
BMFA 190658
Guys I love my Beast3D. Never had a V1 though so cant compare the two.

I personally feel that the gyros create more problems than they cure with the CC in a no wind situation. The Ailerons are offset to counter adverse yaw but then you have the gyro stopping the into turn yaw...

There are other complications however too.

Again its just my personal reasons, I am not wanting to push my opinion on others!

Tony
Sep 04, 2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
The Ailerons are offset to counter adverse yaw but then you have the gyro stopping the into turn yaw...
I've notice the Beast 3D fights yaw in turns too. I mentioned it early on but no one agrees. It's no big deal to me because I push in rudder in turns anyway and if you do that, problem solved. But, yeah... if you just bank and yank the tail definitely fights it.
Sep 04, 2012, 07:49 PM

read it all

I just finished reading this entire thread (and quite a bit of the original thread). Based on the excellent info and great videos contained in this thread, I've ordered a new 3D Beast, some BabbleBatts, and a 6 port cable. Hopefully my new plane will be problem free and the only limiting factor will be my questionable flying skills. If there are problems with the plane I should be able to sort them out using the info here and HH customer service if necessary. I suppose that I should order some FoamTac and servo cleaner but will probably wait until I get a chance to maiden my Beast. Thanks to everyone who posted here for all of the great information. Wish me luck with my maiden.

Kim
Sep 05, 2012, 02:42 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
I've notice the Beast 3D fights yaw in turns too. I mentioned it early on but no one agrees. It's no big deal to me because I push in rudder in turns anyway and if you do that, problem solved. But, yeah... if you just bank and yank the tail definitely fights it.
I'm sure they do! Like I say though, I don't have a V1 to compare but that is what a gyro does...

I do use rudder too, not bank and yank, call me old fashioned but I want to fly the plane not a computer doing it for me!

Tony
Sep 05, 2012, 07:58 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Guys I love my Beast3D. Never had a V1 though so cant compare the two.

I personally feel that the gyros create more problems than they cure with the CC in a no wind situation. The Ailerons are offset to counter adverse yaw but then you have the gyro stopping the into turn yaw...

There are other complications however too.

Again its just my personal reasons, I am not wanting to push my opinion on others!

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
I agree, and in fact I think most everyone agrees, that the AS3X does try to hold the nose to the outside of the turn. You just have to use a little more rudder than you would without the gyro. It definitely doesn't fight the rudder input given.

Just curious, What "other complications" were you talking about?
Unfortunately I don't think I've every flown my CC on a no wind day. In fact I can't remember the last no wind or even <5mph wind day we've had here. It's been an awfully windy summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedclaws
I just finished reading this entire thread (and quite a bit of the original thread). Based on the excellent info and great videos contained in this thread, I've ordered a new 3D Beast, some BabbleBatts, and a 6 port cable. Hopefully my new plane will be problem free and the only limiting factor will be my questionable flying skills. If there are problems with the plane I should be able to sort them out using the info here and HH customer service if necessary. I suppose that I should order some FoamTac and servo cleaner but will probably wait until I get a chance to maiden my Beast. Thanks to everyone who posted here for all of the great information. Wish me luck with my maiden.

Kim
WOW
The whole thread?!? You must have started last year The original thread is HUGE.

Good luck with the maiden!

-Brian
Sep 05, 2012, 09:31 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Unfortunately I don't think I've every flown my CC on a no wind day. In fact I can't remember the last no wind or even <5mph wind day we've had here.
It is hard to explain, I just don't like he way everything is linked via the gyros.
I like everything separate. If I give rudder then I want the wing to go down, not a sideslip. If I use ailerons to roll, especially offset ailerons with differential, then I expect some into turn yaw.
Sep 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
Gone Huckin'
I think the whole gyro discussion depends on your flying style a bit. For me personally... it's never really gotten in the way. About the ONLY time I think it may have gotten in the way is in a very high alpha KE circuit - sometimes it can be hard to turn the plane in this orientation but honestly... that's a trait of nearly every plane I've ever flown it's just that with the gyro it harder in a different way. With my larger 3D ships it feels as if the plane wants to snap out of HAKE while turning. But with the 3D Beast it almost feels like the gyro locks it into place and it just won't LET you make it snap out.

But that's really about the only place I've ever felt an unintended consequence of the gyro.
Sep 05, 2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
I agree, and in fact I think most everyone agrees, that the AS3X does try to hold the nose to the outside of the turn. You just have to use a little more rudder than you would without the gyro. It definitely doesn't fight the rudder input given.

Unfortunately I don't think I've every flown my CC on a no wind day. In fact I can't remember the last no wind or even <5mph wind day we've had here. It's been an awfully windy summer.

WOW
The whole thread?!? You must have started last year The original thread is HUGE.

Good luck with the maiden!

-Brian
I didn't read the entire original thread, only a couple hundred posts. I did read all 186 pages of this thread, however. Thanks for the good wishes for my maiden.

Kim
Sep 05, 2012, 09:58 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
It is hard to explain, I just don't like he way everything is linked via the gyros.
I like everything separate. If I give rudder then I want the wing to go down, not a sideslip. If I use ailerons to roll, especially offset ailerons with differential, then I expect some into turn yaw.
This makes sense.

Last off topic post, on my CC I do get a little roll when I give rudder, granted nowhere near as much as I'd expect if the gyro was off.
For me the trade off of the fly-by-wire feel for being able to fly in wind conditions that would easily ground the plane was easily acceptable, however I definitely understand what you are saying.
All that said if you really want that feel program a few mixes: rudder->aileron and aileron -> rudder. This way when you give it rudder you can mix in a little aileron to make that wing drop and when you give aileron you can mix in some into turn rudder.

-Brian
Sep 05, 2012, 10:54 AM
After reading all the good things about the Beast 3D I decided to order one last week and will be receiving it tomorrow. I downloaded the owners manual so I could have my DX6i transmitter all programmed and ready to go when it comes.
The manual recommend throws of 100% and 70% on the dual rate settings but there is no mention of expo. I personally like using a little expo in all of my planes.
My question is anyone else here using expo or is it just not needed because of the ASX3 technology that is built into this plane?
This is my first plane with ASX3.
Sep 05, 2012, 12:01 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown
After reading all the good things about the Beast 3D I decided to order one last week and will be receiving it tomorrow. I downloaded the owners manual so I could have my DX6i transmitter all programmed and ready to go when it comes.
The manual recommend throws of 100% and 70% on the dual rate settings but there is no mention of expo. I personally like using a little expo in all of my planes.
My question is anyone else here using expo or is it just not needed because of the ASX3 technology that is built into this plane?
This is my first plane with ASX3.
I don't use any expo in any of my AS3X planes, though the Mig might get a little soon. Most of the time they just don't need it. The gyro dampens small control movements and reduces the Expo necessary to fly. FYI I use close to 30% on my original non AS3X SBach.
-Brian
Sep 05, 2012, 12:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
So I'm considering trying out a 3s setup on my 3D Beast. Based on my calculations using 3s on the stock 2500kv motor with the stock prop (5x2.8)would pull about 8 amps and 93 watts. I think the stock ESC is only capable of 4-5 Amps. So how is it that these 3s setups aren't burning the ESC up?
Sep 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
So I'm considering trying out a 3s setup on my 3D Beast. Based on my calculations using 3s on the stock 2500kv motor with the stock prop (5x2.8)would pull about 8 amps and 93 watts. I think the stock ESC is only capable of 4-5 Amps. So how is it that these 3s setups aren't burning the ESC up?
2500kv is grossly overrated.
On 2S we were seeing optically measured rpms in the 10k-11k range where 2500rpm/volt would yield 18500.

I'm sure the ESC is working harder on 3S but for the most part it seems to be up to the task.

-Brian

Quick Reply