Official Eflite UMX Beast 3D - Page 158 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
Team Twisted!
cdee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Just a short hatcam clip of the B3D on 3s in the yard. Had to try out my new #16 keychain cam. Be sure to watch in 720p!

Joel
Very nice video... I can never get anybody to video me... hence the interest in the #16, the 720 was pretty good, do you have to practice moving your head smooth?? Anyway, I ordered on from the site turbo suggested.
.
cdee
.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Great flying Joel.

Will the #16 or #11 camera fit under the top wing between the cabane and canopy? That would be right about on the CG and would give a nice FPV video I'd think.

-Brian
I'm not Joel, but, yeah... it fits there really well. Only problem is you get the prop disk. I Velcro it to the bottom of the fuse right at CG facing rearward and let YouTube flip the video right-side-up.
Jun 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Great flying Joel.

Will the #16 or #11 camera fit under the top wing between the cabane and canopy? That would be right about on the CG and would give a nice FPV video I'd think.

-Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee
Very nice video... I can never get anybody to video me... hence the interest in the #16, the 720 was pretty good, do you have to practice moving your head smooth?? Anyway, I ordered on from the site turbo suggested.
.
cdee
.
Thanks, guys!

BTW - you can program the #16 to flip the video during the recording.

I don't practice moving my head smoothly, but I've noticed that I glance away from my plane more often than I thought I did!

Regarding mounting it forward on the B3D - CMOS sensors really hate props. The rolling shutter problem will drive most people nuts. For an example, check out this on-board video that I shot from my PA Extra 260:

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 - on-board video - 4th flight (8 min 19 sec)


Joel
Jun 13, 2012, 12:35 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
...

BTW - you can program the #16 to flip the video during the recording.
...

Joel
Daaang... yet another advantage over the #11. Now that feature I'd like!
Jun 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Daaang... yet another advantage over the #11. Now that feature I'd like!
Yes, it comes in real handy when shooting on-board video. Another feature I think you'd like is no more dropped frames!

Joel
Jun 13, 2012, 01:31 AM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Just a short hatcam clip of the B3D on 3s in the yard. Had to try out my new #16 keychain cam. Be sure to watch in 720p!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeD2O_v06k

Joel

Joel,

The HD was sweet.

Many seem to fear 3S power.
Your vid was an excellent example of how flyable the B3D is on 3S!
Thanks.



I uncorked a giant KE loop today that was a thing of beauty.
My 3B3D was a little spec at the top.
She was only about 20' off the deck at the bottom.
3S power makes it all possible.

These UMs are so 'grab-n-go' convenient.
In all my years of RC, I've never got so much stick time.

Happily addicted in Twin,

rc
Jun 13, 2012, 01:31 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Yes, it comes in real handy when shooting on-board video. Another feature I think you'd like is no more dropped frames!

Joel
Actually I'm using a nice class 10 card with my #11 and dropped frames aren't visible to me, though I have to admit I don't look too hard. I haven't measured for them though. Did you see them on my YouTube videos?
Jun 13, 2012, 01:37 AM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
I am about to just rig up a few servos a receiver and an esc and make my b3d a v1 beast... Getting tired of not flying it makes me sad horizon (but thank you for sending replacement board regardless of how long it takes!)
Jun 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
I'm not Joel, but, yeah... it fits there really well. Only problem is you get the prop disk. I Velcro it to the bottom of the fuse right at CG facing rearward and let YouTube flip the video right-side-up.
Thanks, Yeah I've seen a few of your videos I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Thanks, guys!

Regarding mounting it forward on the B3D - CMOS sensors really hate props. The rolling shutter problem will drive most people nuts. For an example, check out this on-board video that I shot from my PA Extra 260:

Joel
hmmm... CCD sensors don't have this issue do they? I wonder if there is a small scale CCD camera, I'm not to concerned with HD as even 480 is technically DVD quality.

-Brian
Jun 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Joel,

The HD was sweet.

Many seem to fear 3S power.
Your vid was an excellent example of how flyable the B3D is on 3S!
Thanks.

I uncorked a giant KE loop today that was a thing of beauty.
My 3B3D was a little spec at the top.
She was only about 20' off the deck at the bottom.
3S power makes it all possible.

These UMs are so 'grab-n-go' convenient.
In all my years of RC, I've never got so much stick time.

Happily addicted in Twin,

rc
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Actually I'm using a nice class 10 card with my #11 and dropped frames aren't visible to me, though I have to admit I don't look too hard. I haven't measured for them though. Did you see them on my YouTube videos?
RC,

Thanks!

On 3s, the Beast 3D is about as close possible to being the perfect aircraft! A flight-envelope so broad that it nearly defies common sense. A plane that's just as happy flying along at 5 MPH as it is screaming across the sky at 50 MPH. A 2-oz plane that can fly so smoothly that it looks nearly full-scale - yet can also do maneuvers so abrupt & so extreme that they nearly defy the rules of flight. A plane that is equally at home at the gym, in the backyard, or at the club field. A plane that is an absolute dream to fly in calm conditions, yet has the ability to make her pilot laugh out loud in a 25 MPH wind. A plane that feels like an extension of thought - much like how a well-built hand-tool "disappears" from hand & becomes an extension of one's thoughts. One does not think about flying the Beast 3D. It just happens. Much like walking.

This is the plane that nearly every RC pilot dreams about - although they may not know her face, or her name.

In my 28+ years of flying RC, I have yet to fly anything in any scale that even comes close!

Erkq,

I haven't noticed any dropped frames in your videos. I was referring to comments I've read on the keychain cam threads regarding the differences between the #11 & #16. They say that a C4 card is good enough for the #16. The videos I've shot so far were with a 4 gig C4 card. I'm going to pick up a 16 gig card for it, though. Probably a C6. There are some issues with using certain C10 cards in the #16, and the general consensus is that a decent C6 card is more than fast enough.

Well...at least I got in a few minutes of stick-time last evening. We're back in the wind-tunnel, so it looks like that'll be about it until Friday.

Joel
Jun 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Thanks, Yeah I've seen a few of your videos I think.



hmmm... CCD sensors don't have this issue do they? I wonder if there is a small scale CCD camera, I'm not to concerned with HD as even 480 is technically DVD quality.

-Brian
Brian,

Correct. A decent CCD camera will not have rolling-shutter problems. They are available in HD - but the problem is finding one that's small & light enough for a UM - even at 480i. I have yet to find a CCD cam + DVR in the size & weight range of these keychain cams. If you find anything, let me know. My primary interest in on-board video is shooting from the pilot's perspective, and this usually requires shooting through the prop.

Joel
Jun 13, 2012, 12:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
RC,

Thanks!

On 3s, the Beast 3D is about as close possible to being the perfect aircraft! A flight-envelope so broad that it nearly defies common sense. A plane that's just as happy flying along at 5 MPH as it is screaming across the sky at 50 MPH. A 2-oz plane that can fly so smoothly that it looks nearly full-scale - yet can also do maneuvers so abrupt & so extreme that they nearly defy the rules of flight. A plane that is equally at home at the gym, in the backyard, or at the club field. A plane that is an absolute dream to fly in calm conditions, yet has the ability to make her pilot laugh out loud in a 25 MPH wind. A plane that feels like an extension of thought - much like how a well-built hand-tool "disappears" from hand & becomes an extension of one's thoughts. One does not think about flying the Beast 3D. It just happens. Much like walking.

...
Your write about your passions very well. + about a billion...
Jun 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Too much to do not enough time
BobaFett1138's Avatar
ok, got a weird one here.

My beast has been grounded..... oh, 3 months now? maybe 2? anyway, I finally have replaced the wings on it. I popped the battery into her today to check which way the aileron servos travel, so I don't have issues with the as3x. Well, they work fine. My issue is the the rudder/elevator servos retracted as far as they can go, and I can't even get a PEEP out of them. No movement, not even As3X chatter. Anyone experience this? The only thing I can think of is that she's been in the basement for a while, but in a dry area.... so I'm not really sure. Ideas?
Jun 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered User
DEOXIT APPLICATION


RCBABBEL, turboparker, or anyone else that may know--

okay I have some Deoxit fader F series...
suggest using as prevention or only intervention for sticky servo ?
Where exactly apply ? I fear I will use too much.


BobaFett1138 ---
I wonder if you are having the sticky servo issue that I and others are having...
Jun 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Registered User
3S made easy ?

the passionate talk of amazing 3s has got my attention this time--and I shall now consider the possibility of 3s for my 3d beast and as3x sbach.

any decent 3s batts available that use the umx connector and not the minijst that are reasonably priced like the 2s hyperion 240 which is $11 shipped ?

I rather not solder on new connectors on the planes or on my 2s hyperions--though
perhaps Glenn makes an adapter....


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 19846 Nov 02, 2017 11:30 PM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast w/3batt and charger $120 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 06, 2011 10:40 PM
Wanted eflite UMX Beast fnlrun Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Dec 12, 2010 05:23 AM
Sold eflite UMX BEAST TERMAGATOR Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Dec 04, 2010 02:16 AM