Sep 21, 2019, 08:09 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr
Thanks for the cool reports, guys! Fun!

Joel,

Great video! Been watching your Gee Bee vids for years and wanting one...just put it off since other planes I wanted were on sale then.
Now it's time to join the UMX Gee Bee Racer Club.

And Roger's lightened Hyperion Babbelbatts are the ONLY 2S batts I fly with. Will likely start with a 330 mAh mounted crosswise and fully forward on the tray for her maiden.

HH says mine should be here on Monday. Wow! That's fast if it happens!

Tm
I fly all of my UMX planes with the battery pretty far back and mounted inline with the plane.... except the Gee Bee, it's the only one that needs the battery mounted as you describe. I love flying mine, I hope you enjoys yours as much!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Will likely start with a 330 mAh mounted crosswise and fully forward on the tray for her maiden.
That's where I place mine as well. I had the battery a bit farther back on the maiden and it was sporty to say the least !

You'll like it! Hope the weather cooperates for you. Strong storms for us in the Midwest all weekend
Sep 21, 2019, 08:19 AM
What expo settings are ya'll using?

The OM only suggests 10% on the elevator. Does AS3X tame this little one down that much?
Suggestions?

Tom
Sep 21, 2019, 08:27 AM
2Winger,

Thanks!
And I'll be praying for you and everyone in the path of the remnants of TS Imelda. The incredible amount of rain it dumped on E. Texas and areas above that is so sad.

You won't be getting that, but stormy weather sure dampens our RC flying spirits! I'm mostly through cleanup and recovery from Hurricane Dorian who paid us a very unwelcome and unpleasant visit a couple of weeks ago.

Tom
Sep 23, 2019, 11:54 AM
It's here! Arrived today.

Really cute. Body is wider than I thought...should be fun!

Will start with recommended 10% expo on the ele and go from there.

Tom
Sep 23, 2019, 12:17 PM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
It's here! Arrived today.

Really cute. Body is wider than I thought...should be fun!

Will start with recommended 10% expo on the ele and go from there.

Tom
Sweet! It is a cute little booger!

I used to fly with 35% expo on all control surfaces of every plane. I also used to have horrible elevator control while trying to land and the plane would porpoise a lot. Lately I've been reducing the elevator expo to 10% to 25% and have been doing much better with my landings.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:26 PM
Quote:
2Winger,

Thanks!
And I'll be praying for you and everyone in the path of the remnants of TS Imelda. The incredible amount of rain it dumped on E. Texas and areas above that is so sad.

You won't be getting that, but stormy weather sure dampens our RC flying spirits! I'm mostly through cleanup and recovery from Hurricane Dorian who paid us a very unwelcome and unpleasant visit a couple of weeks ago.

Tom
Thanks Tom!

I usually use 10-20% expo on my micros, but was surprised when I checked my transmitter to find I'm using 30% expo on the elevator. I like a little expo , but usually don't run that much! When I fly it I like how it feels, so I don't plan to change anything. Of course, how much expo is a personal thing anyway.

One thing to watch for is for a "dead zone" at center for the elevator. Mine had a 2-3mm zone at center with SAFE off where the elevator would center in a different place every time. In SAFE it will center perfect every time because SAFE is constantly trying to find level. I personally don't like SAFE, so this "lazy" centering on the elevator drove me crazy! It made it feel very neutrally stable on the longitudinal axis. This was also a contributing factor to my eventful maiden. I called HH to explain this problem, and they trouble shot with me over the phone & we couldn't find a solution. They sent me a second plane! I didn't even ask for it - they just sent it and didn't ask for the original back. The second one did the same thing. I found a fix from an rcgroups member on the UMX Timber thread. He said to run the elevator trim up until I saw the elevator move. This tightened up the "dead" zone and made the elevator center perfectly every time! This became my new neutral position, and I mechanically trimmed from there. It took about 20 clicks of trim to get rid of the dead zone. I know that the AS3X manuals say to not use more than 4 clicks of trim, so I called HH to ask about it and the tech said that much trim would not adversely affect the flight characteristics. I have been flying it this way for a year now & absolutely love it! I added the 20 clicks of trim to the second GEE BEE and it also flys great! My son is now enjoying it & the two look awesome together in the air!

I'm sorry for the long narrative, but wanted to put this out there if you have this issue and it frustrates you.

Hope the weather cooperates for you - it's a fun little bird and you gotta get some time on it before winter sets in!
Sep 24, 2019, 10:13 AM
2Winger,

Thanks! I will check that before I fly.

I did have to glue 3 of the flying wires' bases down...2 on wings and one for LG. Always gotta check those when setting up everything for flight.

Tom
Oct 07, 2019, 10:42 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
I just won a Gee Bee R2 in a raffle. I'm pretty excited about the 3600kv motor. I've never liked Gee Bee's. I know that many people love them, but I've never caught that bug. They have always seemed ungainly. I know that the original design stemmed from the sheer size of the engine, and I respect the risks and skills of the original pilots. I'm just not interested in having a modern electric plane hampered by a gigantic fuselage. I'm considering taking the electronics and putting them in a pylon racer type platform. Has anyone done this yet? it should fly much better with an actual sleek fuselage I would think. I would love to see some examples if anyone has done this already. If I end up designing it myself, I'll post plans and details as to how it goes.
Oct 08, 2019, 01:17 AM
Don't hate bro
Are you going to at least fly it before taking it apart? You may actually like the way it flies
Oct 08, 2019, 07:48 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Yeah, I probably will. However, I think any good flying characteristics come from the AS3X/SAFE system rather than the ungainly draggy fuselage. The full-scale plane was known for being very difficult and dangerous to fly. A sleeker, more balanced airframe built around this power system should fly much better... in theory. I'm just curious what anyone may have made with this higher kv motor.
Oct 08, 2019, 11:08 AM
I'd rather be flying!
For the umpteenth time - AS3X is simply a damping system like the shocks in your car. AS3X doesn't do ANY of the flying for you - just like the shocks in your car don't do any of the driving for you!

AS3X doesn't alter the airframe's basic personality. It simply dampens movements of the airframe that weren't commanded by the pilot. Nothing more.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Oct 08, 2019, 04:31 PM
Joel is correct in that AS3X doesn't do anything to enhance or alter the flight characteristics of any particular model.

I was flying my UMX Gee Bee at our indoor meet last winter and one of the "older and experienced" members commented on the Gee Bee. He said, "I'd like to see it fly like that without the gyros!". I didn't say anything to him - he's entitled to his opinion, but the gyros weren't flying the plane - I was! I know the Gee Bee can be inherently unstable as it is scaled down, but the fact this particular Gee Bee flys so nice is a credit to the design team at Horizon! As a side note, the SAFE was turned off

Gee Bee flys like it's on rails!
Oct 08, 2019, 05:06 PM
Don't hate bro
I dont think anyone claimed the AS3X does any of the flying for you. Someone claimed they may not like the characteristics of this airframe, which will be very different compared to other airframes.
Oct 08, 2019, 05:09 PM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
I know the Gee Bee can be inherently unstable as it is scaled down, but the fact this particular Gee Bee flys so nice is a credit to the design team at Horizon!
Gee Bee flys like it's on rails!
This is my first and only Gee Bee and before I bought it I read that the Gee Bee is a difficult to fly plane, but you're right, the folks at HH nailed it with this one! It's just as easy to fly as any of my other UMX planes

Quick Reply