Jun 17, 2017, 04:36 AM
Vienna calling...
Yes it's a beauty.

Beauty? ... Honestly no, it's kind of very cool, soooo cool.

But difficult to fly.
I love it, but fly it rarely... because Pitts and Co. are much easier to fly.

Have a Turnigy 2900kv outrunner and external ESC in my Gee Bee, it is "silent like hell".

Anyway, a very special plane.
But not for the every day fly and for sure not for a beginner.

Walter
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2017, 10:50 PM

UMX GEE BEE IN REALFLIGT 7.5 Like the real thing?

So I haven't maiden mine yet but I have been flying the one in realflight and I would like to know is somebody here is familiar with the real one and the realfight one so you can tell me if the weird flying characteristics of the realflight one are present on the real one.

For example the mos noticeable is that it wants to nose down so a little up elevator is needed at all times.

I have changed the CG and tried to add a little bit of up elevator trim on the realflight model and it flies worst, it flies better with the configuration that the guy who made that mode gave it.

If I fly the bigger version of that model in realflight it doesn't have that tendency as far as I can remember.

I am trying to be aware of any nasty tendencies so my real one could last for many years LOL

I am a little bit worried about landings and the speed needed to avoid any STOL but also kangaroo landing
Jun 18, 2017, 01:27 AM
Heli's rule!
The real UMX gee bee has no bad tendencies. It flies awesomely. Its tough to land is the only problem I have had with it.... Most of my damage has come from landing before I learned the trick. Fly it all the way to the ground.
Jun 18, 2017, 02:06 AM
Boost rules!
Yeah, the real UMX Gee Bee is an excellent scale flier. Landing isn't bad as long as you carry some power all the way down & be sure to stay on the rudder. And don't be shy about pouring on the coals & going around if your approach is even a little bit off. After all, great landings are preceded by a good approach. Here's some touch & go practice. First landing starts @ 4:12, and then it's touch & goes for the rest of the clip. This was my 4th flight with the plane, so I was still getting used to her.

Eflite UMX Gee Bee w/Hyperion 450 2s pack - WOT passes, touch & gos (9 min 52 sec)

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 18, 2017 at 02:16 AM.
Jun 18, 2017, 04:29 AM
Vienna calling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yeah, the real UMX Gee Bee is an excellent scale flier. Landing isn't bad as long as you carry some power all the way down & be sure to stay on the rudder. And don't be shy about pouring on the coals & going around if your approach is even a little bit off. After all, great landings are preceded by a good approach. Here's some touch & go practice. First landing starts @ 4:12, and then it's touch & goes for the rest of the clip. This was my 4th flight with the plane, so I was still getting used to her.

Joel
Wonderful place to start and land

I only fly (can fly) over grass, mostly high grass, and this is a little problem with the Gee Bee because of the wing struts.

Walter
Jun 18, 2017, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The real UMX gee bee has no bad tendencies. It flies awesomely. Its tough to land is the only problem I have had with it.... Most of my damage has come from landing before I learned the trick. Fly it all the way to the ground.
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn7hAlhTNpA

Joel
Awesome Thanks
That means that the real One should be much easier to fly then. So I am going to practice a lot on the sim.

I was also wondering if it is possible to fly it on 3s since i have seen many video of2s UMX models flown on 3s

turboparker It would be great if you could upload some new HD videos
Jun 18, 2017, 11:44 AM
Boost rules!
I have uploaded lots of HD videos. Unfortunately - none of 'em are of our short-fuselage, round-engine, fat-nose little friend. And I haven't been in a club with a hard-surface runway for a couple years now, so it's been a long time since I've been able to fly her.

Regarding 3s - most of the newer 2s bl UMX planes handle 3s (even though they're not rated for it). However - the Gee Bee has a somewhat marginal ESC. Some handle 3s, but many do not. Some of those will handle 3s if they're propped-down to a GWS 5030, but others will not. If yours doesn't like 3s, the ESC's current-limiter will kick-in & shut the motor down. So....I wouldn't try 3s unless you're good at dead-sticking this bird. (I tried 3s in mine. Unfortunately, it didn't like 3s - even after propping-down. )

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM.
Jun 18, 2017, 11:59 AM
Quote:
I have uploaded lots of HD videos. Unfortunately - none of 'em are of our short-fuselage, round-engine, fat-nose little friend. And I haven't been in a club with a hard-surface runway for a couple years now, so it's been a long time since I've been able to fly her.

Regarding 3s - most of the newer 2s bl UMX planes handle 3s (even though they're not rated for it). However - the Gee Bee has a somewhat marginal ESC. Some handle 3s, but many do not. Some of those will handle 3s if they're propped-down to a GWS 5030, but others will not. If yours doesn't like 3s, the ESC's current-limiter will kick-in & shut the motor down. So....I wouldn't try 3s unless you're good at dead-sticking this bird. (I tried 3s in mine. Unfortunately, it didn't like 3s - even after propping-down.

Joel
Good to know, thanks
Jun 23, 2017, 11:23 AM

Acrylic color match ?

Somebody here has found an acrylic red that matches the on eon the airplane? I have tried some but I have been unsuccessful.
Jun 23, 2017, 06:00 PM
Vienna calling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drra View Post
Somebody here has found an acrylic red that matches the on eon the airplane? I have tried some but I have been unsuccessful.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=692
Sep 02, 2017, 08:10 PM

The last Geebee

This is one of my most favorite umx planes as well as one of my favorite plane . The UMX Gee Bee r2, although discontinued for years, some of us still have them intact. I assembled my own UMX Geebee and it has flown for a year and a half and it's still in fairly good condition and is my favorite to fly in no wind conditions. I've installed carbon fiber rods in my wings as i've heard about them folding when the braces fail, and i've never had a problem with them since...

But i recently decided to get new spare parts to preserve this model. To build possibly the last umx Gee Bee R2, the wings are not made anymore and that made it extremely hard to find as it is sold out everywhere due to the wing being the weakest part of the plane . But i was able to find a pair hidden in a urban R/C shop in the Czech Republic.

Heres hoping that E-flite will make another umx Geebee R2 with a full wing.
Sep 02, 2017, 08:51 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
Nicely done. I have a spare wing in the box too. I have often thought of building another from parts as you are preparing to do.
Sep 20, 2017, 04:13 PM
I have a New in the Box Gee Bee for sale in the classifieds:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post38315965

Thanks,

Chris.
Apr 19, 2018, 12:23 PM
Flying every chance I get!

It's back

With SAFE too. https://www.horizonhobby.com/umx-gee...ect-p-eflu6150. I still have mine. With parts available again I'll be flying it more.
Apr 19, 2018, 12:25 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
With SAFE too. https://www.horizonhobby.com/umx-gee...ect-p-eflu6150. I still have mine. With parts available again I'll be flying it more.
Wow
Is this a new re- release? My Wi-Fi is messed up this morning, can't see on the website.

Quick Reply