Thread Tools
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:41 AM
RCBABBEL is offline
Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Thanks for the weight check.

What lipos will you be using in this bird?

My little 350mahs weigh 20g if memory serves, so a 6-7g difference shouldn't be an issue at all...


Sammy,

All three sizes.
2S 120, 180 & 240.


I fly my Beast, Sbach & UM Stryker often.
6-7g is big.
Totally changes the way these UMs fly.

I don't even bother with the 2S 240 in my Beast anymore.
Light flies better.
The Hyp 2S 120 is amazing (for 4.5min) in my Beast/5043.

About all I fly anymore are the 120s & 180s.
Only plane that I really enjoy the 240 in, is the Stryker.

I don't mind the short flight times because of the flight performance upgrade.
With enough batts and fast parallel charging; the rules have totally changed.

Looks like I can get all three new UMX planes for $405.
Stashing cash daily.




rc
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
bobly is offline
Find More Posts by bobly
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Hey, you forgot the Hyper Taxi! Sure, it's an indoor airplane first, but when the wind will be low, it will be a fun airplane outside too. As a bonus, the propeller and servos won't touch the grass, so less chance to pick up dirt.

Seriously though, I agree with you... More weight on the UM is not that good. My favorite flying spot is great, but landing the Sbach was a bit tricky. Landing the Gee Bee would definitively be a problem for me. (Though, for me, it's Beast for sure, Hyper Taxi maybe, and Gee Bee if there's ever any money left in early spring!)
At this point in time, I just don't have any pull to the taxi. I am not into any type of 3d flying, and want my airplanes to look and fly like airplanes. I am fine with my present Beast, so that only left the GeeBee. Maybe I am wrong, but as I said, my belief is that the first landing in my yard would rip the gear and wing braces off of it. Even regular gear like on the Beast and Sbach just grab the grass and flip the plane over and at the least bung up the nose and vertical stabilizer and sometimes worse. The little single cell 1 oz planes just stop usually without any damage but the extra ounce starts to be damaging and with the other extra ounce plus of the GeeBee it is almost bound to leave a mark as the saying goes.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
MyPonyRocks is offline
Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Registered User
MyPonyRocks's Avatar
It's not ideal, but couldn't you get a thickish roll of clear plastic to lay on the grass as a runway? I forget the brand, but we use 50' long by 25' rolls of heavy duty clear plastic on some of our concrete jobs. It re-rolls pretty easy and I would think you could make a fairly level surface on shortish grass. Any wind over 5ish mph though and you'd have to transport weights along with the roll... Maybe a few strips of that portable putting green stuff flipped upside down (assuming it's not bumpy like the backside of carpet).

I'm sure if you want it bad enough, you can make a solution.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:39 PM
WSEN is offline
Find More Posts by WSEN
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
It's not ideal, but couldn't you get a thickish roll of clear plastic to lay on the grass as a runway? I forget the brand, but we use 50' long by 25' rolls of heavy duty clear plastic on some of our concrete jobs. It re-rolls pretty easy and I would think you could make a fairly level surface on shortish grass. Any wind over 5ish mph though and you'd have to transport weights along with the roll... Maybe a few strips of that portable putting green stuff flipped upside down (assuming it's not bumpy like the backside of carpet).

I'm sure if you want it bad enough, you can make a solution.
It has to be staked or somehow stretched pretty tight or you get little hills and valleys that clip the prop whenever you take off. Same with a tarp, which I use quite a bit for my Beast, T-28 and Champ. I am considering investing in some real outdoor carpet (Astroturf?) as I think it would work better. Anybody used it before? Maybe the micros wheels are too small. I generally put "bush tires" when possible, but don't think it would be possible on the GB.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:01 PM
turboparker is offline
Find More Posts by turboparker
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
It has to be staked or somehow stretched pretty tight or you get little hills and valleys that clip the prop whenever you take off. Same with a tarp, which I use quite a bit for my Beast, T-28 and Champ. I am considering investing in some real outdoor carpet (Astroturf?) as I think it would work better. Anybody used it before? Maybe the micros wheels are too small. I generally put "bush tires" when possible, but don't think it would be possible on the GB.
WSEN,

The indoor soccer court at which we fly has AstroTurf. The Mossie's wheels are large enough, and my Champ with 'tundra tires' has no problem - however, the stock wheels on the XP & Beast are much too small for reliable ROG takeoffs & wheel landings on the stuff.

Joel
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:05 PM
makg is online now
Find More Posts by makg
ISP Supervisor
makg's Avatar
How about a small roll of linoleum flooring?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:28 PM
djmoose is offline
Find More Posts by djmoose
C-Main Champ
djmoose's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
How about a small roll of linoleum flooring?
Mine are all being used by breakdancers.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:54 PM
interplanet is offline
Find More Posts by interplanet
Registered User
interplanet's Avatar
How about a tree, that always worked for me when I first started flying.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
perschek is offline
Find More Posts by perschek
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
perschek's Avatar
Thinking of using 2 200-300mah 35c 1s mcpx bats, what do you think?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:44 PM
WSEN is offline
Find More Posts by WSEN
Registered User
Yeh trees work real good. But then you have to cut 'em down to get the plane
We put new laminate flooring in our kitchen a few weeks ago. Since then the old linoleum has been spread out in the yard. Not bad. Slick, micro needs brakes!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
WSEN is offline
Find More Posts by WSEN
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
WSEN,

The indoor soccer court at which we fly has AstroTurf. The Mossie's wheels are large enough, and my Champ with 'tundra tires' has no problem - however, the stock wheels on the XP & Beast are much too small for reliable ROG takeoffs & wheel landings on the stuff.

Joel
Wonder how big the wheels on the GB are? Might work!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
Dizzy5 is offline
Find More Posts by Dizzy5
Registered User
Dizzy5's Avatar

I think it would fly to fast


Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder4 View Post
I think that this Gee Bee could fly indoors (even though they advise you not to)
My D model likes to be flown at a pretty good clip and if you try to land to slow it will tip stall on you. Too fast and it floats forever. My plane is a bit bigger though, 43" wingspan and 480 motor. My plane also doesn't like crosswind landings much if the wind is blowing very hard. It is a blast to fly though! and they do nose over pretty easy. I fly off a grass field though.

Gotta get one of these! I wish they had a bnf.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:23 PM
Sammy70 is offline
Find More Posts by Sammy70
PSALM 14:1
Sammy70's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy5 View Post
Gotta get one of these! I wish they had a bnf.
BNF

Your wish has been granted as that's what they are

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLU4580
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:23 PM
microflitedude is offline
Find More Posts by microflitedude
RCG -Minus Member
microflitedude's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy5 View Post
My D model likes to be flown at a pretty good clip and if you try to land to slow it will tip stall on you. Too fast and it floats forever. My plane is a bit bigger though, 43" wingspan and 480 motor. My plane also doesn't like crosswind landings much if the wind is blowing very hard. It is a blast to fly though! and they do nose over pretty easy. I fly off a grass field though.

Gotta get one of these! I wish they had a bnf.
It is indeed Bind-and-fly - no radio included. Do you mean PNF?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
JetFighterDuck is offline
Find More Posts by JetFighterDuck
You're turning into a penguin.

Grass Landings


My field is all grass, no landing strip of worth.

I take all the LG off my UM's, no problems belly landing.

But the GB and the beast: LG must stay!
Do any of you Beast guys grass land? is it possible?

I wonder if the As3x will allow for a high AoA flare drop down landing.

I was thinking about some kind of net type catcher. Like a loosely strung lacrosse goal turned around. Just bring it in slow and drop her in.

I am picturing a less straight down version of a high wire/trapeze guy falling into a safety net.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Adrienne Paige Gee Bee R2 Plans Eric Giorgiantonio Fuel Plane Talk 5 Jan 30, 2012 12:02 AM
For Sale Herr Gee Bee R2 (NIB) 25" wingspan pdawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 12, 2011 11:20 AM
Wanted Adrian Page Gee Bee Z 1/5th and/or Gee Bee R2 1/5th (looking for) Xanix Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jul 23, 2007 07:16 PM