This thread is privately moderated by Papo_60, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 19, 2011, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Sky Surfer Build Log

III. Left & Right wing Assemblies:

Added &/or replaced the following Parts:

Added Hinge Tape and Contol Horns to each wing :
  1. The same process was used for mounting the Control Horns and applying the hinge tape as is given under the Vertical Stabilizer section above.

Strengthened 6 mm SPAR :

To strengthen the 6.0mm Carbon Fiber SPAR, a 4.0mm CF Tube was cut to the same length as the 6.0mm SPAR. This CF Tube was coated with 5 min epoxy & inserted into the 6mm SPAR. (To do this I again put the epoxy on some wax paper, wrapped the epoxy/wax paper around the CF & pulled it through the glue, using the wax paper to control the amount of glue left on the spar.) Then put this assembly aside to dry. The weight of the combined spar is now 21g, adding 5g to the original spar weight.

Mounted Aileron Servo and Push Rod :
  1. To mount the servo into position on the wing I first put some 3M Extreme Packaging Tape on the back & 2 sides of the servo. I felt this would make it easier to get the servo back out should I need to replace it in the future. I put a couple drops of hot glue on the foam & inserted the servo on top of the glue. I ran the servo wires down the channel provided and removed a little of the foam so the servo connector would not interfere with the foam cover that goes over this channel. Before hot gluing the connector down, I inserted the 6 inch servo extension wire to the servo connector so the combined length would be long enough to exit the through the wing. To fasten the foam cover over this channel I applied about 6 drops of CA glue down each side of the channel. Applied the foam cover & let dry. Then I covered the length of the channel with 2” strapping tape, followed by 3M Extreme Tape over the Strapping Tape.
  2. This process was repeated on the second wing.
  3. I used the pushrod & clevis set that is used with the Hobby Zone Super Cub, a set of two for $.99. They are very sturdy and I feel they will do an excellent job. I had to measure, cut and bend the push rod to fit between the servo arm & control horn. With the pushrod screwed half way into the clevis, I cut the pushrod to 2 5/8 inches (measured from the bottom of the clevis), this allowed 2 ¼” to the servo arm & 3/16 inches for both the “Z” bends. The clevis gives plenty of range to adjust the ailerons to the desired position.

Mounted Reclosable Fasteners to Wings :
  1. Finally we need to address attaching & holding the wings to the fuselage. At the time I did this there had been some discussion on the RCGroups forum about using both the Scotch Reclosable Fasteners & the Scotch All Weather Fastener (also called Dual Lock). I show the Amazon URL for both of these fasteners but they can also be purchased at Wal-Mart & Target. I bought both fasteners at Target & choose to use the Reclosable Fastener which is supposed to be a better grade of Velcro. I applied the mating strips to each wing end, placing it on all vertical surfaces that face the fuse when inserting.
  2. I have tested this & believe the holding power is very good, I feel the holding power is greater than using rubber bands to hold the wings together. This method, using rubber bands, seems to work very well so I do not expect any problems using the Velcro.

Note: At the same time I was using the Reclosable Fastener (Velcro), much discussion & testing was going forward on the RC Groups Forum using the Scotch “Dual Lock”. I believe (& probably everyone involved with testing these fastening methods) that the Dual Lock is the superior product with greater holding power & longer life. Had I not already had my fastener on the wings, I would have gone with the Dual Lock.
Last edited by Papo_60; Oct 20, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply