Jan 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
+1 IntegrityHndywrk +1 lasakro. Just got threw rebuilding my crashed V2. Heck the new feathering shaft has a new washer by the screw to slide in to tighten the blades grips. Had to call my wife in for help. It's not getting any better. Not gave up yet, but next flight if it's not up to standards it's going to the classifieds or shelf & back to my MCP & 3 thank God 3 axis 120's.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2013, 09:23 PM
Registered Fiend
That thing seems pretty hard to find even out of the uk. Ebay, 9imod, banggood, rc711 all no luck.

Is it definitely gonna sort the drift out, did you do yours Lasakro?

EDIT

Found one at buzzflyer for £40, i'd love it cheaper if anyone knows anywhere
http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Walkera-V...er/p-186-2239/

So it's a wait to see if rc711 even reply to customers or I give in and just buy one.

I see the post above and now I'm more confused as I see the V2 with metal head on but can't find the link now.

Is that like rc711 labeling their mincp brushless as v2, just their name not the actual Walkera name
Last edited by microrcfiend; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Jan 08, 2013, 09:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro
Your 6 axis receivers suck in case you didn't get any hints from this tread. I own two 3 axis V120D02S they are fantastic. Read the problems and comments from unsatisfied customers you have created with your great new product. Drifting, needing to tilt the receiver? Real science applied in this tread to correct your well engineered electronic component. Please wait a minute while I find my band aids. No, just found this medium density foam, this might work under the receiver! Where did my laser level go? Maybe I'll just keep cranking down on this little link hoping at some point the gyro will finally get the idea that I don't want to go in that direction any more. What the hell. My 3 axis goes up and it's almost leave it and forget it. Opp's, it's still out there. Please release a firmware download option for the 2636H-D to disable the 6 axis. It's that simple.

I just checked my vendors site to make sure I got the model # correct. The 6 ax is $11 more than the 3 ax so the 6 must be better because it costs more. I must be wrong.

Who knows. It's worth a shot....
I shouldn't have started.... I had a bad day today and with all 5 of my Walkera helicopters not capable of flight right now, i suppose i can't help myself.

I'm not a unsatisfied customer... My 3 Axis V120D02S treated me very well on my 2801 pro for 8 months or so. It's not like i had to rebuild all of my WK helicopters to work right, or fly the way i preferred. You know, after learning how to fly and also while learning how to fly 3D ESPECIALLY. Just take a look though my blog and see how many of my Walkera models i didn't modify. If anything, Walkera has provided a GOLD MINE for anyone that LOVES modification. I used to be that type of person till i owned a Walkera heli. It just never ended. Even NOW! I'm still working on my Walkera helicopters MORE than flying them. While my X5 sits patiently waiting for the next outing, never needing or wanting for anything, but maybe some bearing oil. My V450D01 had become fairly reliable with the BeastX and all new electronics too. Though it still has some of the V450 mechanical faults. None of which are horribly bad. Mostly bad bearings and a sloppy rotor head. Aww, Hell, i was almost to the point where i was going to stop hating on my V450d01 and start recommending it to people because the actual design of the heli's airframe is GREAT! It is pretty damn durable in crashes and the airframe has enough real estate to accommodate for just about any electronics upgrades. Almost any 450 size servos will fit the airframe, though swash geometry may take some work to get right. BUT!!! Before i could come around to advocating the V450D01 as a decent starter heli, to learn on, then to upgrade and grow with you for more of a "hobby grade" 3D flight as you go. The V450D01 would have been great for that! But, Walkera went ahead and pushed out the "New" V450D01! YAY! They gave it a new 6 axis RX (LOVE THOSE!) and guess what!? It no longer had gyro throw reverse switches for the RX/gyro!! So no more Savox/Align upgrades or almost any other servo upgrades! HAHA, Walkera told us!! You can only use servos that are EXACTLY the same as Walkera servos, and for most people. That will mean ONLY Walkera servos, though there are some other options out there. But If they are not brave enough to venture into spending money on the unknown and not knowing what they are doing. It's more likely they will just keep buying new WK servos every other week, or whatever. That is why i made a build log for the V450 in the first place. BUT, Walkera cut me off at the pass. They really showed me, didn't they? and everyone else, not to mention their true colors (IMO). They don't want us upgrading our models.... UNLESS!!! We buy the parts from them. Makes sense right? Especially now that they are releasing CNC rotor upgrades for the V120, CLEARLY demonstrating that they don't understand what we "upgrade" our helicopters for. It's not looks and pretty CNC. Well, maybe some of us do. But It's mostly for durability and performance. Give us viable upgrades for those things and most people will gladly pay! Hell, how many people here paid about $50 extra just for a upgrade motor? LOTS! Then we talk about 2S upgrades and all this third party stuff. Walkera COULD be following these trends and responding to them, instead of trying to dictate the terms of the market. I'm sure they hate me, and thats fine. I'm trying to make them a better, more well received company and product. Not burn them to the ground. I want them to succeed. I just get sick when i think about the way they operate. Hell, how many people wanted different blades on their V120 just ANY other color but black? How many people JUMPED on bright neon yellow KDBB 130X blades when they were available? Why didn't Walkera capitalize on that market? Why do they continue to develop new models that are basically the same as other models, with slight changes, instead of offering parts and varieties of options or upgrades for existing models. I don't know, but i start to notice their own trends, and maybe i'm just to cynical. But these things really bother me. It would be interesting to see an annual profit report from them.

If Walkera is taking any notes.... How about making ANY of their gyros capable of fast reverse flight or add pirouette compensation, like even the cheapest of stand alone gyros available today have. Before going full 6 axis "gimmick" on us and raising the prices again. If your not capable "In House", of creating motors and gyros for 3D, then contract someone out or just flat out team up with a gyro manufacturer that would want to put their gyro on your models. You can save money on production labor and costs. We already know there is next to no R&D, so you won't be saving much there i suppose.

No, i won't pull any punches at this point until Walkera can stop doing things like releasing faulty firmware on something as dangerous and potentially expensive as a Magic Cube. HOW OBVIOUS should it be that they didn't do any testing before releasing that? Really? I won't even get into the dangers i have faced with my V450 and the 4 different 2702V RX that just completely lock the TX out with no control. Just go on youtube and search rc helicopter accident face and see what a 450 heli can do to you... Not cool! Not safe!!! Not fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend
I cannot believe I am reading this after seeing all the v120 vids, I really did expect there to be only one NEW V120D02S with a choice of colour. Crushed.

350 pages and countless videos drooling over a heli with enough power to really have fun and now I find out I don't even have that heli. I have it's bastard brother with a limp. I bought 10 batteries, decent charger, bunch of spares, some extra servo horns, spare gears to anticipate flying the crap out of it.

Here's the vid anyway so at least someone might stay away from buying it, at no point do I input any left aileron at all, only right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWeE7...ature=youtu.be

I guess i'll try and talk to rc711 about it but I am still waiting on a reply about the minicp from 5 days ago and that is trying to give them money not return anything. I can't see the 3 axis version on their site for the swap either.

Can the rx from the 3 axis version be swapped out as a straight drop in and any where particularly cheap in the UK or Europe. As bitter a taste it leaves in my mouth, it's the cheapest option I see.
Hey it's not all bad, it flies right? You didn't get anywhere near Walkera's worst heli. It's just that the RX is not so good. Hell, you could have bought a V120D05 which is basically worthless right out of the box. If you can even get it to hold the tail, you'd be lucky! Inverted was a pipe dream. NEVER got the stock heli to fly inverted. But after $500 total on that heli, including the original BNF heli, new 2801-pro 3 axis RX from the V120d02S V1, new rotor head, main blades, blade grips, feathering shaft, and main rotor shaft from the D02S also. Well, after all that... The heli really does fly well. But it was so expensive with all i paid to get it there! Not to mention repair costs from crashing a "3d helicopter" that was not 3D capable (at all) prior to the upgrades. For that much money i could have built a 450 or something. So while you might feel cheated, and you probably should. You can still get back to a damn good flight with the $70 3 axis rx that lasakro suggested.

Or just make some mechanical adjustments and deal with it till your a better pilot and then get yourself a 250 DFC or something bigger. Unless indoor flight is your main objective. Then get something smaller i guess.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Jan 08, 2013, 09:34 PM
Seeking Control
Quote:
That thing seems pretty hard to find even out of the uk. Ebay, 9imod, banggood, rc711 all no luck.

Is it definitely gonna sort the drift out, did you do yours Lasakro?
I'm no expert here just see one common variable between you and Crash. Let's see how he makes out because his problems, with his heli, seem to be what you and others are seeing.

I purchased both my 120's with the 3 axis. My vendor here in Wisconsin, US still has 2 for 65 each.
Jan 08, 2013, 09:50 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk
Welcome to Walkera. The V120, in my opinion, received a good reputation with the 3 Axis gyros. It was a decent heli that flew really good, for a 1S micro. That is a thing of the past. Walkera ruined it, far as i'm concerned. The reputation exists still, but the performance of the heli has diminished. Again, in my opinion, based on never having flown the 6 axis, but witnessing many people who used to fly 3 axis, then bought a 6 axis only to shelf it and keep flying their 3 axis version. When it was the 3 axis gyro it was the best helicopter in it's size. Now, since only the V2 6 axis is available. As far as i'm concerned, non of walkera's helicopters even REGISTER as an option of purchase for me anymore. Not while they have these 6 axis gyros. Basically i think they are worthless now. I tell everyone to get a Blade nano or even a 130X to start when they ask. Actually usually i tell people to just skip the 130X and get a 300X. Because, IMO, micros are not the way to learn. Too hard to fly. Only good for small places, if you don't have a field.

I for the life of me, cannot figure out why Walkera went all 6 axis on us. Saying it would make it easier to fly. It seems to have done the opposite according to most user accounts. People will pop in here all the time and mention they don't like their 6 axis, when compared to the 3 axis, and especially after having flown the 3 axis for a good period of time prior. I will likely never buy another Walkera helicopter product. Maybe a multi rotor, but not a heli. They need to either have a 6 axis as an OPTION or just get rid of it, IMO. Stupid idea. There is nothing wrong with 3 Axis..... Almost everyone in this hobby learned on a 3 axis OR NO GYRO AT ALL! This concept of a 6 axis "will help you learn" is ridiculous at it's core! I doubt if 6 axis gyros will ever become standard. At least not in this implementation. Well, other than the fact that Walkera has forced their customers to comply to 6 axis as a "standard".
+1. Walkera's ADDING ACCELEROMETER ON A COLLECTIVE helicoper, what are they thinking
That to me is not a great idea. CP's are for pilots that has flown a fixed pitch heli. They should improve their 3axis FBL gyro to make it a better heli & not making it a 6 axis. Accelerometer & CP heli doesn't go together, PERIOD.
My opinion as far as good, durable heli is:
1. V911 (forget about 3Ch. coax). Bullet proof 4channel heli.
2. V922 CP. CHEAP & cheap replacement parts to learn CP.
3. 130X . This thing flies like a BIG heli. Great for learning 3D due to it's power & gyro performance. Enjoy flying like a BIG heli where space is an issue. No other smaller heli flies better precission than the 130, IMO.
4. 300X. Wow! BeastX gyro. Skip 450X, or no need for a 450 size heli. This size is close to a size of 450. Belt driven 3D heli, means little no no damage in case of "tail crash". Cheap 3S lipo (1300mAh), but plenty of power.
5. Then, talk to Santa for the next bird

(BTW, I might just keep the BeastX on my 300X. I'll just purchase another MB for my 550)
Last edited by Spyro37; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Jan 08, 2013, 09:51 PM
Live to learn. . .
Have you tried to tune the drift out yet? You never know, you might have one of the good rxs. Some of the 6 axis rxs flew fine, including mine.

Rafa

Quote:
I cannot believe I am reading this after seeing all the v120 vids, I really did expect there to be only one NEW V120D02S with a choice of colour. Crushed.

350 pages and countless videos drooling over a heli with enough power to really have fun and now I find out I don't even have that heli. I have it's bastard brother with a limp. I bought 10 batteries, decent charger, bunch of spares, some extra servo horns, spare gears to anticipate flying the crap out of it.

Here's the vid anyway so at least someone might stay away from buying it, at no point do I input any left aileron at all, only right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWeE7...ature=youtu.be

I guess i'll try and talk to rc711 about it but I am still waiting on a reply about the minicp from 5 days ago and that is trying to give them money not return anything. I can't see the 3 axis version on their site for the swap either.

Can the rx from the 3 axis version be swapped out as a straight drop in and any where particularly cheap in the UK or Europe. As bitter a taste it leaves in my mouth, it's the cheapest option I see.
Jan 08, 2013, 09:51 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro
I'm no expert here just see one common variable between you and Crash. Let's see how he makes out because his problems, with his heli, seem to be what you and others are seeing.

I purchased both my 120's with the 3 axis. My vendor here in Wisconsin, US still has 2 for 65 each.
I'm no expert either. Just a independent researcher/practitioner. I wonder if just tilting his gyro to the right would fix it You know, like how we were talking about lifting up the left side for better piros.

I do think the 6 Axis offers more grief than benefit, even to the rookies. Maybe even ESPECIALLY for rookies. But he should try to tune it out with the swash links if possible. Doubt he's doing 3D yet. Might not be imperative to rush. But then again, who knows when those RX will be sold out again or whatever.
Jan 08, 2013, 10:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37

My opinion as far as good, durable heli is:
1. V911 (forget about coax). Bullet proof 4channel heli.
This is what i have been telling people too. Spending $50 on that coaxial you saw at the gas station or mall isn't going to be as fun as this. Then you will get a FP heli or a CP heli and have to learn all over again. Because a lot of Coaxial use a different control mode. But now you need to learn left and right aileron too. Just start with that bullet proof V911 to learn how to control the heli and get all your orientations right. THEN your absolutely ready for CP. Did i mention i crashed my V911 into my garage door like 15 times and the ground, walls, lamps and other misc. objects in my house, SOOOO MANY TIMES. Never once had to replace anything except for batteries. My V911 met it's eventual demise after being lost after dusk in the night sky. I had thought it went into the small pond near where i fly. I looked and looked but never found it. Then one day the landscaper saw me flying and gave it back to me! They even ran it over with the mower or something... No damage! LOL. The battery was shot and a servo was shot. So i think it's just got to be replaced now. Here is a link to the pictures:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6266
Jan 08, 2013, 10:18 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Quote:
I'm no expert either. Just a independent researcher/practitioner. I wonder if just tilting his gyro to the right would fix it You know, like how we were talking about lifting up the left side for better piros.

I do think the 6 Axis offers more grief than benefit, even to the rookies. Maybe even ESPECIALLY for rookies. But he should try to tune it out with the swash links if possible. Doubt he's doing 3D yet. Might not be imperative to rush. But then again, who knows when those RX will be sold out again or whatever.
Got me questioning myself. To get rid of left drift on 6 axis looking from the tail wouldn't you want to tilt the RX up on the right side.
Jan 08, 2013, 10:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor
Got me questioning myself. To get rid of left drift on 6 axis looking from the tail wouldn't you want to tilt the RX up on the right side.
Yeah, uhh.. Maybe... Yeah, your right. I had it wrong.

I think i was thinking of looking at it from the nose. Lets just say, if you were sitting in the "cockpit" and the heli is drifting to the left. You would want to LIFT the left side so that the horizontal plane of the gyro is now leaning toward the right, as a means of correcting the left drift. The tilt toward the right?

Maybe i'm just confusing myself here.

I am thinking that the heli has a natural lean when in hover. What i am trying to say is to adjust the gyro so it sits level while the heli is in a "level hover", which will not be a "level" hover, because the heli will want to lean a little. The gyro would normally correct for this.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Jan 08, 2013, 10:42 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Quote:
Yeah, uhh.. Maybe... Yeah, your right. I had it wrong.

I think i was thinking of looking at it from the nose. Lets just say, if you were sitting in the "cockpit" and the heli is drifting to the left. You would want to LIFT the left side so that the horizontal plane of the gyro is now leaning toward the right, as a means of correcting the left drift. The tilt toward the right?

Maybe i'm just confusing myself here.

I am thinking that the heli has a natural lean when in hover. What i am trying to say is to adjust the gyro so it sits level while the heli is in a "level hover", which will not be a "level" hover, because the heli will want to lean a little. The gyro would normally correct for this.
Thanks it makes me think also. While flying a V2 you have to apply right AIL to keep it from drifting left. Wish I never bought it, but since I got it I'll keep tweaking for a little while. Got it hoping inverted & flips would be as easy as my MCP to work up on till I tried it on my 3 axis V120's.
Jan 08, 2013, 11:22 PM
Registered Fiend
Rafa, if your talking about me then yes I have tried tweaking the links so the swash is visually to the right and still left drift. After all the tweaking and centering for 2 days it flies exactly as it did when sloppily slapped together and chucked in the box at the factory. Sub Par.

I will give the rx a lean to the left just incase but logic tells me it should be tilted right if the 'false' north is to be tilted. The giro works with you so should be same effect as flying in rate mode with tilted swash when you tilt the rx.

I have to wait till the weekend to order the new rx, kinda want a reply from where I bought it first though.

I agree about the 911 for learning orientation but as deliciously tempting as a bigger heli with a beast x or vbar is for me right now I would only get to fly in a blue moon. The v120 and smaller I can fly safely in the park at sunrise when nobody is around until I am confident how much space I need.

The HK450 fbless had me hovering over the button on a daily basis over xmas but the helicopter injury vids made it a tough sell to my girl.

I am sure I will give in eventually and go for a 250 or bigger but it will be to mark a milestone such as nailing all orientations for normal flight, i'd have to deserve the step up from toys.
Jan 08, 2013, 11:53 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Quote:
I will give the rx a lean to the left just incase but logic tells me it should be tilted right if the 'false' north is to be tilted. The giro works with you so should be same effect as flying in rate mode with tilted swash when you tilt the rx.

I thought the same thing. In fact I leaned my gyro (both on the 3axis & 6axis helis) to the right soon after I bought them, no success. Then heard of leaning it to the left. Surprise !!!
Both are still doing the same sh!tty tilt. I gave up! I just t!lt my head flying them to compensate with the heli's congenital characteristics & enjoy it's natural "posture" .
Jan 09, 2013, 12:34 AM
Registered Fiend
You laugh it off well, I guess i'm not conditioned by Walkera quite yet. I'll give this one a shot but whatever happens it will be non Walkera next. Why are there no scaled down 250's to 100 size like the miniz and dnano with rc cars? I just don't get it, there's obviously a market.
Jan 09, 2013, 12:56 AM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Rafa, if your talking about me then yes I have tried tweaking the links so the swash is visually to the right and still left drift. After all the tweaking and centering for 2 days it flies exactly as it did when sloppily slapped together and chucked in the box at the factory. Sub Par.

I have to wait till the weekend to order the new rx, kinda want a reply from where I bought it first though.

I agree about the 911 for learning orientation but as deliciously tempting as a bigger heli with a beast x or vbar is for me right now I would only get to fly in a blue moon. The v120 and smaller I can fly safely in the park at sunrise when nobody is around until I am confident how much space I need.

The HK450 fbless had me hovering over the button on a daily basis over xmas but the helicopter injury vids made it a tough sell to my girl.

I am sure I will give in eventually and go for a 250 or bigger but it will be to mark a milestone such as nailing all orientations for normal flight, i'd have to deserve the step up from toys.
Your doing it right. Get good enough to be very comfortable. I still think the simulator is the best place to get your initial learning done. Helicopter accidents are actually pretty rare. But it's usually either the inexperienced that didn't know better. Or the very experienced that became too confidant and relaxed. So while you should fear a 450 helicopter. Even the 250 can hurt you.. HELL, i have a scar on my right arm from where the V120D02 cut me like a knife when trying to fly indoors when i first got it. It's sure no V911. Because a v911 wouldn't cut you! Anyway, when you get a bigger helicopter. Just make sure you put good electronics in it. Otherwise your asking for trouble.

Quick Reply