Aug 27, 2019, 06:43 PM
SBP
SBP
I put my pink one together this afternoon. I double checked with HK on battery size and was advised 2200 mah was correct for this version. CG was good with an Eflite 2200 as far back in the tunnel as it would go. Rain tomorrow so we'll see how it flies Thursday morning. I'll take it to the soccer complex for the first flight . The corn at the club field is 10 ft high and encircles the runway and parking lot. Little chance of finding a small plane in the corn jungle if things go wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 07:03 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP
I put my pink one together this afternoon. I double checked with HK on battery size and was advised 2200 mah was correct for this version. CG was good with an Eflite 2200 as far back in the tunnel as it would go. Rain tomorrow so we'll see how it flies Thursday morning. I'll take it to the soccer complex for the first flight . The corn at the club field is 10 ft high and encircles the runway and parking lot. Little chance of finding a small plane in the corn jungle if things go wrong.
The only thing is the weight. You will likely get a longer flight. I would like to know how you go with a 1300 in it and compare the flight characteristics.
Of course go with what you have to get the maiden and initial feel for the plane sorted. If you like it with the 2200 well and good - perhaps put up a video for us??
Aug 27, 2019, 08:17 PM
well,

just maidened mine today,

put the 2200mah in it right off the get go. I started with the cg as described and throws as described.

roll rate was way to high and elevator a touch to high for this style of wing. it will stall the wing at half throttle with full up elevator kind of spiral out of the yank.

so I droped roll rate and elevator rate got her tamed down. dosnt yank a turn but flys awesome for a speed plane straight and narrow.. I then pushed the 2200 all the way back and cg is at the very, very edge of the finger holes seem to fly pretty good there. thinking cg could go back even further but don't want a flat spinning stall.

motor works great out of the box, not very fast but good for setting up the plane.

this is the motor I got for the radjet, should be fun plane when I get her dialed in.

oh ya and I broke one of the drag tanks on landing. landing in alfalfa field just rips it off...

later andrew k
Last edited by 57sailplane; Aug 28, 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Aug 27, 2019, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
well,

just maidened mine today,

put the 2200mah in it right off the get go. I started with the cg as described and throws as described.

roll rate was way to high and elevator a touch to high for this style of wing. it will stall the wing at half throttle with full up elevator kind of spiral out of the yank.

so I droped roll rate and elevator rate got her tamed down. dosnt yank a turn but flys awesome for a speed plane straight and narrow.. I then pushed the 2200 all the way back and cg is at the very, very edge of the finger holes seem to fly pretty good there. thinking cg could go back even further but don't want a flat spinning stall.

motor works great out of the box, not very fast but good for setting up the plane.

this is the motor I got for the radjet, should be fun plane when I get her dialed in.

oh ya and I broke one of the drag tanks on landing. landing in alfalfa field just rips it off...

later andrew k
When you get the CG nice and have a bit of time on this bird you will find you can glide it in and high alpha a landing comfortably - I can almost drop it at my feet.
Aug 27, 2019, 09:48 PM
Quote:
i have a question for those who have seen the death spiral.

has anyone recovered from it.

if so did full throttle recover from spiral as this would get more air moving across the vertical stabs.
Funny you mention that, I've had a radjet for years and put so many flights on it and never had the "death spiral" I actually thought it was an urban legend......that is until a few days ago. I was messing around with it and decided to move the cg back a little from my usual spot. I was doing inverted passes and pushed it up to flip it over level as I have done thousands of times before and bam it did this weird stall that I have not had before and straight away I knew this was the death spiral. I went hands off to let it build a bit of speed before trying to pull out of it but it was spinning so hard that wasn't going to work so at the last moment tried to stop it spinning with opposite aileron but was no use she went in hard.

Anyway taped it up, moved the bat back where i usually had it and flew a few more packs no problems at all
Aug 28, 2019, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake
Anyway taped it up, moved the bat back where i usually had it and flew a few more packs no problems at all
That's the way
Aug 28, 2019, 01:10 PM
OK,

so i got the cg back even further by adding lead to the tail. with the 2200ma batt this is what i had to do cause i only have one 1500mah and i want to fly with more weight in the tail anyway as i will be swaping to a bigger motor.

well this plank stalls with high elevator so it is a balancing act getting the right cg and right max elevon. cg to far foward and plane flys with more elevator authority but comes in hard. cg back and to much elevater and plane tip stalls. got her pretty close.

i did try a high altitude max elev at slow speed during testing and got it into a death spyral or flat spin. not realy a flat just out of control spin with nose down and tail going around in a circle. so i did what i thought might bring it out and that was full throttle. this didnt seem to work at first as plane plumeted toward the ground and gained speed. i then figured out wich way it was spinnig and reversed aileron and walla it was in a power dive with enough time to pull up.

man i dont like that stall so i am going to add vert stabs to the bottom as i have read either on here or the other thread. as the radjet seem to be spinning with belly out.

later andrew k.
Last edited by 57sailplane; Aug 28, 2019 at 01:15 PM.
Aug 28, 2019, 03:58 PM
i also broke off the drag tank again.

so guess what there gone. i didnt cut them off all the way. i cut the front corner round then traced the wing top of the airfoil and botom as to keep the wingspan.
Aug 28, 2019, 06:17 PM
so heres the mods
Last edited by 57sailplane; Aug 28, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Aug 29, 2019, 04:17 PM
Mods look neat. What did you use to extend the V Stabs? Depron?
Aug 29, 2019, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing_Ian
The main change was to open the fuse so you didn't have to mutilate the model to get a battery in the right location. CG is the same as before

Ian
Quote:
The New pink Radjet comes with 5 mm cabon tube spar!
Yep! That`s a main change
Aug 29, 2019, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankster
Mods look neat. What did you use to extend the V Stabs? Depron?
I used a cut up epo slope wing that I had. Its always good to have a few wrecked planes lying around.
Aug 29, 2019, 08:53 PM
Quote:
so heres the mods
Nice work!!
Sep 16, 2019, 08:03 PM
Just picked one of these up used, (Pink version) Curious if anyone has glassed one and how much weight that adds? It seems pretty flimsy, I'd really like to make mine as fast as possible at some point. Are guys running these things on 6S yet? What's a super hot motor/esc combination for top speeds? (sorry, I didn't go through all the threads)

Thanks!
Sep 17, 2019, 05:13 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974
Just picked one of these up used, (Pink version) Curious if anyone has glassed one and how much weight that adds? It seems pretty flimsy, I'd really like to make mine as fast as possible at some point. Are guys running these things on 6S yet? What's a super hot motor/esc combination for top speeds? (sorry, I didn't go through all the threads)

Thanks!
Search YouTube for "Radjet 800" and there are several videos, one of them posted below

How To: RadJet 230KPH SPEED Setup (2 min 54 sec)

Quick Reply