Oct 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Discussion

Another awesome gem from Walter Williams

http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...nst-each-other

Biggest take away from the article ...

2010 top ten CEO's made an average of 43 million dollars
2010 top ten celebrities (excluding athelets) made an average of 100 million dollars

When you recognize that celebrities earn salaries that are some multiples of CEO salaries, you have to ask: Why is it that rich CEOs are demonized and not celebrities?

A clue might be found if you asked: Who's doing the demonizing? It turns out that the demonizing is led by politicians and leftists with the help of the news media, and like sheep, the public often goes along.

Why demonize CEOs? My colleague Thomas Sowell explained it in his brand-new book, "The Thomas Sowell Reader." One of his readings, titled "Ivan and Boris -- and Us," starts off with a fable of two poor Russian peasants.

Ivan finds a magic lamp and rubs it, and the genie grants him one wish. As it turns out, Boris has a goat, but Ivan doesn't. Ivan's wish is for Boris' goat to die. That vision reflects the feelings of too many Americans. If all CEOs worked for nothing, it would mean absolutely little or nothing to the average American's bottom line.

For politicians, it's another story: Demonize people whose power you want to usurp. That's the typical way totalitarians gain power. They give the masses someone to hate.

In 18th-century France, it was Maximilien Robespierre's promoting hatred of the aristocracy that was the key to his acquiring more dictatorial power than the aristocracy had ever had.

hmmm.....
Oct 19, 2011, 08:32 AM
Seriously?
I love it when Mr. Williams subs for Rush. Listening to him is a breath of fresh air in our crazy world.
Oct 19, 2011, 08:35 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Thomas Sowell is another awesome thinker as well. Who ever becomes the next President needs to get these two gentlemen into some sort of Cabinet position.
Oct 19, 2011, 08:42 AM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
I would have to say that the brightest of conservative candles burns the same regardless of the colors of the wax.
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Oct 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
I would have to say that the brightest of conservative candles burns the same regardless of the colors of the wax.
Dang Lyle, you are just full of these witty sayings!
Oct 19, 2011, 09:55 AM
Honorable native of Kekistan
"I'd rather light a candle...than curse the darkness"
Oct 19, 2011, 10:17 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Lucy was a Liberal.
Oct 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
Honorable native of Kekistan
^ ^
funny

good article tho..it does play upon weakness (we all sometimes have)

...envy & greed are all basic faults.
Oct 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
When celebs eff up they're fired.

When CEO's eff up they're given multi-million dollar "severance" for "trying their best".

Frankly, if I had to pay one or the other millions, I'd give it to the CEO's over the celebs any day of the week. If I want a coffee or a car or a pair of pants, I need a company with a CEO. If I want entertainment I just have to go to work, hang out with my friends, or browse LTUP and see which side is frothing at the mouth today.
Oct 19, 2011, 10:51 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren
When celebs eff up they're fired.

When CEO's eff up they're given multi-million dollar "severance" for "trying their best".

Frankly, if I had to pay one or the other millions, I'd give it to the CEO's over the celebs any day of the week. If I want a coffee or a car or a pair of pants, I need a company with a CEO. If I want entertainment I just have to go to work, hang out with my friends, or browse LTUP and see which side is frothing at the mouth today.
Really? So when someone like Ben Afflect or Nick Cage lays a box office egg, they never gets hired to make another movie at 20 million a pop?
Oct 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
Actors lose contracts all the time.

Doesn't change the fact I think they're stupid overpaid.
Oct 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
But if we are for free markets, the hollywood celebs should make what ever the market will bare as well. No fan of celebs, just saying.
Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrotchRocketeer
But if we are for free markets, the hollywood celebs should make what ever the market will bare as well. No fan of celebs, just saying.
Hmmm...I think you're onto something...
Oct 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrotchRocketeer
I don't think any Free Market proponents begrudge anyone making as much money as they possibly can. What is ironic however is the anger of the anti-capitalists who are supported by people who are some of the best capitalists we've ever seen.
Oct 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
How bout them CEO's that got phat bonuses after we bailed their asses out?!

Isn't that awesome!

At least government is going around and bailing out athletes for having a bad season on our dime.... Yet.

Quick Reply