New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Discussion

SR-71 profile rocket glider

For those of you that missed out on a hobbylab SR-71, or just thought it was too expensive or hard to fly, I decided to update my profile version, larger than the hobbylab version but for the same 24mm reloads.

I used up all my scrap depron last night, re-working my SR-71 profile for rocket boost. I pushed the motor mount as far forward as I could for CG reasons, without sacrificing the look, and I modified the elevons to be a bit thicker and took out the carbon reinforce and the decorative cuts that were to match the top view. I don't think it will impact the look at all.

It's very simple, only carbon needed is a single 1/8" longeron to give some support to the neck area, only difficult part is slicing the slots for the nacells at a slight angle, not hard, just need to do the same thing on both sides.

This version came in around 9.75 oz or so, about 50% less than the hobbylab version.

Here are the pieces and assembled test version. And then the final product, showing servo and rx/bec mounting and launch lug.

Test flight today, 10/22/2011 was perfect, about 3/16" of uptrim on the flap switch for glide, very nice easy slow landing and flare

Plans are here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979395

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Aug 10, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Tsavah
Watt Waster

Profile SR-71

Looks good to me!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by FlyBoy38L
Failure is ALWAYS an option
Ha I love the idea of a profile boost glider. I've been wanting to try boost gliding and now have found the way!

Can't wait to see this video!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by Tsavah
Watt Waster
Yes indeed. It was a nice landing. Interesting idea, even if I have seen projects like it before. It has been a while. Really liked to see your success.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Old Dec 06, 2013, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by burkefj
I made another adapter for my SR-71 and X-15 using a grayson V3 microjet and a 20 amp esc that I can swap between them using the same motor that plugs into the rocket mount. Works great. I'm using an apc 6x4 and a 3 s eflite 800mah pack and get between 5-6 minutes at about half throttle, unlimited vertical etc. I got bored with the full flat black and decided to put a bit of silver sharpie accents on the SR-71.

Frank