Oct 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
Rant

Realflight 6

Decided to buy RF 5.5 three weeks ago for the purpose of having my son learn to fly RC. I received a Tower catalog today where they were advertising RF6. I checked if I can get an upgrade and was told that I have to pay $20.

Frankly I think this is a serious rip-off! I have never seen a vendor pulling off something like this. Usually if you buy older software versions right before a newer release becomes available it is customary to get a free upgrade. Besides, the upgrade option is only valid till October 31 2011 to customers who bought RF between Aug and Sep. This is way too short of a time considering that it takes time for people to learn about this new release.

Very sneaky and non-ethical way of making money.

Will switch back to Phoenix which in my opinion has way better graphics and flight models as well as a free upgrade policy.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2011, 06:15 AM
IMO, $20 to upgrade something you've had for over a month isn't terrible... by the time 6 is out, you'll have had 5.5 for about 2 months.

Before jumping ship, I would compare the realism of the physics over the graphics.
Oct 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
I can accept the cost of getting the new update to me in the form of shipping and handling of a few dollars.

A more common way these days are downloads of newer versions. Phoenix and Aerosoft are doing it and I see no reason why RF cannot do the same.
Oct 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
You'll probably be able to download the update to 6 as well. As for the cost, $20 to upgrade a $200 program isn't bad at all. Microsoft has way more expensive upgrade costs, as do other major software companies (look at Adobe updates...)
Oct 18, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
Companies need to earn money and should charge for their hard work making products and I have no issue paying any amount that fits my needs and budget. My point with RF6 is that I bought RF5.5 a couple of days before they released RF6 giving me only a window of 30 days to do so. After that its $50.

I guess things cannot always be the way we like them to be
Oct 19, 2011, 08:28 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
why do you need to update? Hell im still running windows xp lol
Oct 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly!
Companies need to earn money and should charge for their hard work making products and I have no issue paying any amount that fits my needs and budget. My point with RF6 is that I bought RF5.5 a couple of days before they released RF6 giving me only a window of 30 days to do so. After that its $50.

I guess things cannot always be the way we like them to be
The same thing happened to me when I bought RF 4.5 within a month or two of the release of 5.0. I missed the window for a free upgrade to 5.0 by a couple of days. I was annoyed, like you, and ended up not buying 5.0.

Phoenix has a much better upgrade policy than Real Flight. Free upgrades so far, including new models. Although I still prefer Real Flight to Phoenix for airplanes, I won't be upgrading to RF 6.0 unless the physics have improved significantly.
Oct 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
I just sent off my RF5.5 stuff, including the controller, for a RF6 upgrade. $50 to upgrade to the new retail version is still a good deal in my book considering it comes with a new controller.

If you bought RF5.5 after the 1st October, you can get a free upgrade - just won't be with the controller. $30 gives you the controller upgrade too, which is an even better deal.

Try buying Windows 7 a week before Windows 8 comes out and ask for a cheap/free upgrade and see what happens.
Oct 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Back in the day I purchased 2 copies of RF2 at full retail ($200 ea, still got receipt). Then RF3 came out, NO upgrade path for RF2 except AGAIN paying full retail. Then RF3.5 came out, with upgrade, but ONLY for RF3 users, not for RF2. Even today you can upgrade RF3 to RF5.5 for only $70. Only recourse today for RF2 users??? $200 for full version. It's why I'm using Phoenix. NO upgrade possible for RF2, unless again paying full price is an 'upgrade'. I supported them back in the day; they returned the favor by giving me NO upgrade path. I don't expect it for free, but full price when RF3+ versions get $70 upgrade?
Oct 20, 2011, 10:48 PM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya
Back in the day I purchased 2 copies of RF2 at full retail ($200 ea, still got receipt). Then RF3 came out, NO upgrade path for RF2 except AGAIN paying full retail. Then RF3.5 came out, with upgrade, but ONLY for RF3 users, not for RF2. Even today you can upgrade RF3 to RF5.5 for only $70. Only recourse today for RF2 users??? $200 for full version. It's why I'm using Phoenix. NO upgrade possible for RF2, unless again paying full price is an 'upgrade'. I supported them back in the day; they returned the favor by giving me NO upgrade path. I don't expect it for free, but full price when RF3+ versions get $70 upgrade?
I feel for ya dude how they can charge these prices considering what you pay for a Console game which takes far more work to produce and program. just shows how much these sims are over priced. when you buy Real Flight you should get free update's , just like phoenix ! but you dont its day light robbery imo
Oct 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
Upgrades are not manadatory. If you're happy with G2, stick with G2. If you want G3, buy G3. I bet you could get it for a steal, now. Then you could buy the RF6 upgrade for only $50, skipping G4 and G5. Myself, I paid full price for G2, G3, G4, G5, all 5 AddOn discs, and all 8 Expansion Packs. Nobody forced me to do it. I'll cry a little for you, if it'd make you feel better. You poor thing.
Oct 21, 2011, 05:59 AM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
I'm so happy for you having paid full price for everything. You deserve a medal. Some of us like upgrades and when rf3.5 came out and they offered an upgrade to rf3 BUT NOT TO rf2 thought it a bit screwy. And when EVEN NOW they allow rf3 to upgrade BUT NOT rf2 feel that policy is a bit stupid.

Those that purchased rf2 have NEVER been given ANY UPGRADE option. None when 3.0, none when 3.5, but every other version can. Oh, there's a fair upgrade policy....
Oct 21, 2011, 06:15 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya
I'm so happy for you having paid full price for everything. You deserve a medal. Some of us like upgrades and when rf3.5 came out and they offered an upgrade to rf3 BUT NOT TO rf2 thought it a bit screwy. And when EVEN NOW they allow rf3 to upgrade BUT NOT rf2 feel that policy is a bit stupid.

Those that purchased rf2 have NEVER been given ANY UPGRADE option. None when 3.0, none when 3.5, but every other version can. Oh, there's a fair upgrade policy....
Oct 21, 2011, 08:37 AM
You don't think their upgrade policy is fair? Start your own software company. Write your own sim. Give updates away for free. Problem solved.

You do realize you're crying that your 10 year old software never had a "fair upgrade policy," right? Let it go!!

Stop thinking of different RF versions being "upgrades." They are entirely different products. You could have G2, G3, G4, G5, and RF6 all installed on the same computer.
Last edited by jeffpn; Oct 21, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Oct 21, 2011, 09:01 AM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Ah, yes, all of us heathens who would wish to use upgrades (provided by given developers, or not, in this case) whom in your opinion are depriving said developers' kids from having eating, wearing shoes and going to Harvard...

How DARE I QUESTION the Great RF or any of its policies...
Last edited by Seeya; Oct 21, 2011 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply