Oct 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
Discussion

Design of Spear sport jet.

Claus and I teamed up on this new project. This is going to bee 90mm sport jet powered by a jet fan 90/ Turnigy 4030 1400Kv motor. You will properly see some relationship with Chimera, this is not by accident. We are just started to the 3D work and we will keep you updated as we progress.
Last edited by frank40; Jan 04, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2011, 04:25 PM
Nice!
Oct 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
deffinitely subbed.

gonna have to pay one of you guys to do a semi scale version of the Jaguar gear in CAD.
Oct 17, 2011, 04:53 PM
Claus at Area 52
why not at scale version of it.
it is not that much off
Claus
Oct 17, 2011, 05:09 PM
scale would be better I suppose. I guess there wouldn't be much difference in machining costs, no matter which you choose.

I don't want to clutter this thread with off topic discussions though. I'de have lots of questions to ask. LOL.
Oct 17, 2011, 05:23 PM
Claus at Area 52
then do it pm
Claus
Oct 18, 2011, 05:02 AM
skilful builders' admirer
Hey Frank,

You knew I couldn't resist, didn't you? Tried to follow your lines as close as possible. Also added some of mine. Here's what I got.
Nikolas.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1k0l4s
Hey Frank,

You knew I couldn't resist, didn't you? Tried to follow your lines as close as possible. Also added some of mine. Here's what I got.
Nikolas.
Hey Nikolas

Lol...... no I didn't know you would go for it, but I am glad you did. That looks just awesome man, love the intake very nice job. I would only change a few lines thats all. Is it ok if we use some your ideas and if you would send me your Rhino file, that would be great.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
@frank40,

i like your design more.
The design from nikolas is for sure very special. And never seen such inlets
But i think the intakes of the design in the first post will work better. Because these are straight in the flying air. Those of nikolas are a little hidden in the fuse.
Oct 18, 2011, 05:27 PM
Life begins at transition
ah, the submerged inlet 'discussion' starts again!

Once a few more Chimera's get airborne, hopefully someone will stick some tufting and a cam on the nose so we can do some flow vis, and settle the 'boundary layer ingestion/expulsion' thing...

Do you have span/length of the jet? Looks pretty large! Me like it big
Oct 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis
ah, the submerged inlet 'discussion' starts again!

Once a few more Chimera's get airborne, hopefully someone will stick some tufting and a cam on the nose so we can do some flow vis, and settle the 'boundary layer ingestion/expulsion' thing...

Do you have span/length of the jet? Looks pretty large! Me like it big
well, I mean there's nothing to settle as far as the NACA inlet is concerned. the NACA duct should work as advertised. how that relates to our inlet remains to be seen and it will deffinitely be good to get a cam on there as you suggest. once I build a bigger one, I'll deffinitely put a cam on, pointing directly at the inlet, with tufts.

Rich
Oct 19, 2011, 04:25 AM
i am not saying those intakes will not work.
Look at the uriah from Erik v. Schaik. When looking this plane from the front, most of the inlet is covert by the fuse. But still this plane flies faster than a pyranha. Which proof, that no visuel intakes from the front will work fine. Otherwise the performance was disapointed
Oct 19, 2011, 06:38 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
Looks great!
subscribed!
Nov 08, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hello again

I had a little break in this thread but I am back now, I decided to learn to draw in Rhino and to draw this new jet almost by my self. I went to Claus and he taught me to draw in Rhino he’s a great teacher and I soon got some idea how this program works. A BIG thanks to Claus for taken the time to share he’s skills whit me.

Here is the result… There is still something missing and I am not 100% satisfied whit is but it is close. If you have any ideas or suggestions you are more than welcome to make some comments.
Nov 08, 2011, 04:12 PM
what do you feel is missing?