Thread Tools
Oct 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Registered User
Question

Is an ABC Hobby 36-600 sailboat worth it?


Hello.

I'm looking at a ABC Hobby 36-600 sailboat, and I was wondering what a fair price for one that has been assembled but never sailed would be. It has a radio and everything. Or, is it even worth looking at? Unless it ends up less than a T37 of TBoats.com, I won't buy it. I like the T37's lines a lot more.

Any Insight?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
Useful Idiot
Comparing a Northwind to a Tippecanoe T37 is a bit like apples and oranges; the former is a more or less assembly job with plastic hull etc. whereas the latter is a wooden hull with more construction work involved.
The northwind fits into a recognised AMYA development class (few restrictions) along with some much better and more expensive boats. The T37 is a recognised one design class. No doubt a lot of alternative options will be suggested.
Oct 17, 2011, 08:33 PM
Registered User
Thing is, the ABC is already assembled.
Oct 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
Registered User
Dick L.'s Avatar
Wanna race? The 36/600 will NOT be competitive as it comes - and even with serious modifications, it won't stay up with any purpose-built 36/600 racer. I don't believe this is a recognized class - so if you tire of it, resale might be a question. Basically (and with possible "flames") this is a "Pond Yacht" and depending on your future direction/desire wouldn't be my recommendation.

The T37, on the other hand at least has a sanctioned/recognized class behind it - so resale will be much easier if you decide to sell. Not sure where you live, but if you get hit with "winter" - it will give you time to build and think forward toward first nice Spring day when it is launched.

Only my opinion.
Oct 18, 2011, 07:55 AM
Norman2
Norman2's Avatar

North Wind 36/600


Hi. I would not buy the Northwind 36/600 as it is no longer manufactured
and parts are impossible to get. A T37 would be a great sailboat. Regards
Norman2
Oct 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Registered User
Thank you, everyone.

@Dick L. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the originating region of the T37. (Bellingham)

I also can get a discount on one, so... a T37 it is, though none of the members of the local club has one. They have Soling 1 Meter boats and ODOMs.
Oct 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozette9 View Post
Thank you, everyone.

@Dick L. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the originating region of the T37. (Bellingham)

I also can get a discount on one, so... a T37 it is, though none of the members of the local club has one. They have Soling 1 Meter boats and ODOMs.
Have you thought of either a Soling or ODOM ? Those are both good choices.
Nov 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Have you thought of either a Soling or ODOM ? Those are both good choices.
Yes. The local club sails both, I am just finding out about all that. If I do go for one of those, it will be the Soling because of the price of parts, etc. The T37 has a... Younger, shall we say, following in my area, and I see lots of them around. Also, the Soling doesn't plane, severely cutting down on speed in high winds.

Any more input?

Ozette9

~~_/)~~
Nov 03, 2011, 03:10 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozette9 View Post
Yes. The local club sails both, I am just finding out about all that. If I do go for one of those, it will be the Soling because of the price of parts, etc. The T37 has a... Younger, shall we say, following in my area, and I see lots of them around. Also, the Soling doesn't plane, severely cutting down on speed in high winds.

Any more input?

Ozette9

~~_/)~~
I don't think any class of monohulls planes. The Soling may not be the fastest boat of its size which probably has more to do with its thick internally ballasted keel.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question ABC Hobby NorthWind 36/600 Battlepack Sailboats 8 Jun 21, 2011 11:21 AM
Sold ABC North Wind 36-600 Sailboat vax6335 Boats (FS/W) 3 May 31, 2010 02:11 AM
Discussion Scratch building a 36 600 sailboat Norman2 Sailboats 5 Oct 18, 2007 10:51 AM
Sold Northwind 36-600 Sailboat Bob Long Boats (FS/W) 2 Apr 07, 2007 03:58 PM
For Sale Northwind 36/600 Sailboat Professionally Built waverider Boats (FS/W) 0 Jan 22, 2007 04:53 PM