Thread Tools
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:56 PM
hommel is offline
Find More Posts by hommel
Registered User
hommel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I'll be using the stock shroud; is there any way to reinforce the motor mount area a bit? Perhaps a coat of thinned epoxy?

Sonny
If you use an inrunner, I expect the mount to be strong enough. However an outrunner, if it is a heavier one will cause a fair amount of stress on the mount. Perhaps you can reinforce the mount with a 1 or 2mm circulair plate of epoxy/fiberglass that has the same bolt pattern.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:30 PM
onefastxp is offline
Find More Posts by onefastxp
crashing build's character.
i have run my 10 blade fan in a 70mm eflite houseing. work's great!
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:52 PM
Flazo is offline
Find More Posts by Flazo
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar

motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca View Post
Remaiden my old Sapan Gripen with 10 blade fan and Cyclone Power CS480 2500-4 motor.
Did some testing on 5S and 6S setup.I did expect some magic smoke with 6S but everything went OK. Great setup.
Andrew

I have a Sapac Gripen, where can I get the motor?

any idea the watts you are getting with 5 cells

fred
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:05 PM
MagnusEl is offline
Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Registered User
MagnusEl's Avatar
You can find it at http://rc-castle.com/

This 10 blade impeller does fit perfect in Freewings 70mm shroud.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:23 PM
Baca is offline
Find More Posts by Baca
Registered User
Baca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
I have a Sapac Gripen, where can I get the motor?

any idea the watts you are getting with 5 cells

fred
Look on the graphs, first 2 are 5S.64-68A
Motor from
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2027
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:34 PM
Thomas Nelson is offline
Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Registered User
Thomas Nelson's Avatar
Holy cow!

Nearly a hundred amps at 22v through that little motor

I have the same motor on an E-Flite 70mm fan driving the stock rotor. On 6S. If memory serves, this 10-blade unit is drawing nearly twice the watts.

Let us know how it works out over the long haul. Do you intend to fly this setup much? Being an outrunner I am wondering (same as others) if the mount is up for the task - seeing how the back end is unsupported on this outrunner. Gyroscopic forces and all ...

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca View Post
Remaiden my old Sapan Gripen with 10 blade fan and Cyclone Power CS480 2500-4 motor.
Did some testing on 5S and 6S setup.I did expect some magic smoke with 6S but everything went OK. Great setup.
Andrew
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:47 PM
bamaguy is offline
Find More Posts by bamaguy
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson View Post
Holy cow!

Being an outrunner I am wondering (same as others) if the mount is up for the task - seeing how the back end is unsupported on this outrunner. Gyroscopic forces and all ...
I have the same concern.....This alloy Lander shroud will solve the heat problem

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2135

I ran the CS-10 blade up with the stock 2100kv LX motors in the shroud that came with the A-10, and the thermoplastic mount area did soften! (It did run great, though)


http://rc-castle.com/images/LR68EDFP1.jpg
Last edited by bamaguy; Dec 04, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:02 PM
sonny1 is offline
Find More Posts by sonny1
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
sonny1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hommel View Post
If you use an inrunner, I expect the mount to be strong enough. However an outrunner, if it is a heavier one will cause a fair amount of stress on the mount. Perhaps you can reinforce the mount with a 1 or 2mm circulair plate of epoxy/fiberglass that has the same bolt pattern.
I think I'll try an inrunner for that reason. Now I know why they were saying there were issues with the stock shroud. I thought they were referring to it being out-of-round or something, but the weak spot appears to be at the mount. That's why a lot of folks are using other shrouds! Took a while, but stuff sinks into the dead space between my ears eventually; I got it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastxp View Post
i have run my 10 blade fan in a 70mm eflite houseing. work's great!
I'll try one of those if the stock shroud doesn't hold up. Thanks for the heads up that the fan will work in that shroud,

Sonny
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:24 PM
Burdo is offline
Find More Posts by Burdo
Guarantee at least one landing
Burdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
I have the same concern.....This alloy Lander shroud will solve the heat problem

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2135
I'll be ordering myself one of these shrouds.....
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:40 AM
Knife Liddle is offline
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Knife Liddle's Avatar
I ran one of these rotors at about 3kw this evening. It wasn't in the shroud. It was just run in the open like a prop. I was actually testing a motor and comparing the load of this rotor to an 80mm Eflight rotor. They are very similar in load and the little motor kicks butt. I may have to put it in a shroud and check thrust and efflux at that power level.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:39 PM
Flip Flop is offline
Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
I finally found the 4s motor I was looking for. I am getting 68amps and 997 watts after 15sec with a Turnigy 3600 30c lipo. Not bad for a $25.00 setup.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...utrunner_.html
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:21 PM
munce31 is offline
Find More Posts by munce31
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
munce31's Avatar
What was the thrust and the voltage of the pack?
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:45 PM
Flip Flop is offline
Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
What was the thrust and the voltage of the pack?
Voltage was holding at 14.6, I did not measure the thrust but if I had to guess I would say 3.5lbs.
Tomorrow I can throw it on the thrust stand.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:52 PM
munce31 is offline
Find More Posts by munce31
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
munce31's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
Voltage was holding at 14.6, I did not measure the thrust but if I had to guess I would say 3.5lbs.
Tomorrow I can throw it on the thrust stand.
14.6 volt is not that great, but its expected with a 30c turnigy pack. Put that motor on a hyperion 35c or higher c lipo and it'll probably be above 70amps and pumping out some serious thrust
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:23 PM
Flip Flop is offline
Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
14.6 volt is not that great, but its expected with a 30c turnigy pack. Put that motor on a hyperion 35c or higher c lipo and it'll probably be above 70amps and pumping out some serious thrust
True, these are some older packs.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Change Sun 12 blade 90mm Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7293 Oct 03, 2016 05:49 PM
New Product Change Sun 120mm and new 10 blade 70mm fans Flip Flop Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 131 Apr 27, 2012 08:07 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 07:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 02:27 PM
Sold Change Sun Electric retracts NIB 75.00 jzuniga Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Sep 03, 2010 10:36 AM