Aug 25, 2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Hey Andrew

Flew my J-11B with the same exact setup and had the same issue!!

Dynamically balanced both motors and fans (x2) and thought they sounded great.....till I flew it!!

Still pretty quiet but I just think the HK outrunners have their limitations compared to nice HET inrunners.
Thanks Dave. My J-11 took a back seat to this one LOL. That's next I swear....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2012, 06:13 AM
Big gov never Works
Quote:
Still pretty quiet but I just think the HK outrunners have their limitations compared to nice HET inrunners.
Sounds like only one fan has a balance issue.

Fuzz
Aug 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
Sounds like only one fan has a balance issue.

Fuzz
That sounds like it. Thanks for the hint.
Aug 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure
Very nice! I applaud all your efforts. It's certainly a beautiful sounding jet. Nicest looking EDF in my opinion too.

You really need to showcase all your efforts and do them justice. Get a decent video camera - or at least turn off that crap auto focus that continually oscillates between blurry and more blurry. A tripod isnt a bad idea too.
I have a tripod... Just have to practice using it... Also, though, here in Vegas it gets really, really bright which makes it hard to see the lcd screen. I think my wife did a good job considering. I would like more close up shots of the plane while I fly. Hopefully in the near future, i will get better footage.
Aug 25, 2012, 08:10 AM
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas
Really nice JK!

That thing really moves.

Funny that when you have a perfectly balanced EDF which is quiet on the bench or in the hands in your case, the motor noise comes through louder when installed in the fuse.
I think the setup is still really quiet compared to others...
Aug 25, 2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671
I think the setup is still really quiet compared to others...
No comparison really.
Aug 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Hey Andrew

Flew my J-11B with the same exact setup and had the same issue!!

Dynamically balanced both motors and fans (x2) and thought they sounded great.....till I flew it!!

Speaking of nice setups.......congrats to JK671 on the maiden too!! Nice model!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m78fxO_tbo
Glad it is not just me! I had a CS-10 I combined with a SAPAC motor, and it was all sounding and running perfect on the bench, but once installed in my Phase 3 F16, sounded like it was going to blow. I took it out, replaced it with a standard five blade fan, and now it was smooth, powerful, and fast! Oh well.
Aug 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas
That sounds like it. Thanks for the hint.
Try a small 1/8" sq piece of masking tape, inside the spinner. Then try the dynamic balance of turning the spinner. If it does not help, move the tape 45deg and try again. I have been doing this with Minifans since my first in 1998. Even the alum spinner in the Pro is improved with the tape. Oliver even suggests that the fan MAY run smoother without the spinner.

If you perform this task in the model, the foam is a good indicator of imperfections. It's a sounding board.

Fuzz
Aug 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
Try a small 1/8" sq piece of masking tape, inside the spinner. Then try the dynamic balance of turning the spinner. If it does not help, move the tape 45deg and try again. I have been doing this with Minifans since my first in 1998. Even the alum spinner in the Pro is improved with the tape. Oliver even suggests that the fan MAY run smoother without the spinner.

If you perform this task in the model, the foam is a good indicator of imperfections. It's a sounding board.

Fuzz
Yeah, that's the method I use.
Aug 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
where's the 18 blade 70mm ??
Aug 25, 2012, 07:45 PM
They are still trying to FIND the blades they made for that!! The mould operator really needs some glasses! It has to be assembled in a clean room, under microsope, with micro-tweezers!
Aug 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
Always Fly Two Mistakes High!
I got the 10 blade and the HK 100 amp opto esc and HK 5 amp BEC installed. With a 40C Zippy FlightMax 4000 and Cyclone Power 3300 kv motor:

92 Amps
1500 watts peak...settled in around 900 at about 75% throttle

Ran it for about 3 minutes and the ESC was cool to the touch...battery was quite warm...the biggest concern was that the EC3 connectors were VERY hot. May have to change over to EC5's but would not like to do that and take it all apart again.

Wondering it it got so hot because i had the wattmeter in between???

Otherwise going to have to fly this setup at 60% or less to keep them coolish.

Russ
Aug 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
Russ,

If my memory serves me correctly, the EC3 connectors are kinda stressed at 60 amps! Also, I assume you wires to the ESC are #10 (or larger)??
Aug 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
3DHOG
no doubt about it, it has to have EC5's
Aug 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
John
OK guys, here's the 3rd flight of my SU-35... I love this plane! Near the end of the flight, however, I was messing with the thrust vectoring and ended up inverted, heading towards the ground. I didn't have much I could do. The plane was travelling too slow to turn her around. I just pushed both sticks all the way up and started praying! I don't know how, but my ExtremeRC CS-10 Alloy setup with the HET 2w-30's kicked in and lifted her to safety!!! Also, we were able to get much better footage as the sun was going down. Hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching!

Freewing SU-35 Twin 70mm EDF Jet Flight #3 Near Crash Saved by Thrust Vectoring (4 min 12 sec)

Quick Reply