Apr 05, 2012, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5wingnut
What club do you fly with?
SCCMAS Tomcat.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2012, 03:59 AM
Got some test number install in the Habu.
Nick and John put many flight in their foam Habu and I also run test my in Sean Habu.
The data is dead accurate between our two Habu.

OD: 73mm
ID: 69mm
Rotor: CS70- 10 blade
Motor: E-flite BL32 2150kv
ESC: Castle ICE Lite 100
Lipos: 6 cells
Power: 1800 watts @ 80A
RPM: 41k
Thrust: 4.1 lbs install in ParkZone foam Habu
Weight: 330g complete assemble with motor, ESC and connector.

http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=686
Last edited by Tamjets; Apr 05, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Apr 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
Hi all ,
You may remember that when I fitted the CS 10 Blade Fan in my F5E I was'nt getting the great sound as listed below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk124
Hi All,

I recently fitted the CS 10 Blade Fan into my Starmax F5 with the Cyclone Power 2500 kV motor and turnigy 60 to 80 Amp Speedy. The performance is fine with the thrust at about 1.6 Kg. The only issue I have is I'm not getting the great "whooshing" sound still seems to have the high pitched wine. Anybody got any Ideas why we havent got the nice sound?

regards,

Hawk124.

I've done quite a bit of research since then and have finnaly come up with the reason which I thought I would share with the group.

It turns out it was the motor making the high pitched whine.

We fitted my motor fan combo listed above into a mates Metior and it had the high pitched "whine". We then removed the Fan/Motor combo and replaced the motor with the Turnigy 2300kv Motor refitted the new fan/motor combo back into the Metior and that great quite "whooshing" sound was back.

I would seem that the cooling holes at the back of the cyclone power motor act like a whistle causing that high pitched "whine".

Best regards,

Hawk124.
Apr 05, 2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
I would seem that the cooling holes at the back of the cyclone power motor act like a whistle causing that high pitched "whine".
Same experience here. I know that everybody thinks that the CP motors are pretty quiet.

I don't think that the noise is from the cooling holes though. It seems that the smallest bit of imbalance in the motor/shaft adapter/rotor/spinner combo makes the motor produce more noise. Could be the extra long shaft that amplifies things. The shorter L2855 motors could be more forgiving.

I have the CP 3300kv and I have managed to iron out most of the motor whine but not all of it.
Apr 05, 2012, 06:58 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Nice set-up TAM!
And thanks for sharing... Your pro set-up

So the CC ESC is behind the motor... how does it get cooled enough?

Apr 05, 2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
Got some test number install in the Habu.
Nick and John put many flight in their foam Habu and I also run test my in Sean Habu.
The data is dead accurate between our two Habu.

OD: 73mm
ID: 69mm
Rotor: CS70- 10 blade
Motor: E-flite BL32 2150kv
ESC: Castle ICE Lite 100
Lipos: 6 cells
Power: 1800 watts @ 80A
RPM: 41k
Thrust: 4.1 lbs install in ParkZone foam Habu
Weight: 330g complete assemble with motor, ESC and connector.

http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=686
What are your bench numbers?

Regards
Apr 05, 2012, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Hi all ,
You may remember that when I fitted the CS 10 Blade Fan in my F5E I was'nt getting the great sound as listed below:

Quote:
Hi All,

I recently fitted the CS 10 Blade Fan into my Starmax F5 with the Cyclone Power 2500 kV motor and turnigy 60 to 80 Amp Speedy. The performance is fine with the thrust at about 1.6 Kg. The only issue I have is I'm not getting the great "whooshing" sound still seems to have the high pitched wine. Anybody got any Ideas why we havent got the nice sound?...
The white noise is turbulence of the air swirling around the intakes and exhaust.

The CP, if you're PWM is set right, will give a turbine like whistle at certain RPMs...but not a whine.

If you're getting a whine then most likely your rotor is off balance.

Take the and run it up slowly and see if you can feel any vibration on the shroud with the back of your fingernails...back of fingernails are most sensitive to the high frequency vibrations that a rotor out of balance at flight RPMs can give.

Quote:
...I would seem that the cooling holes at the back of the cyclone power motor act like a whistle causing that high pitched "whine"...
People who've heard my CP 480 in my A-4 say it sounds exactly like a turbine mostly cause it's well balanced and the PWM is set were the whistle (my theory is it's the same "tone" effect the esc's give from these motors when we first plug the batteries in or program the esc but gives them at pulse frequency that's steady at certain RPMs) is loudest at taxiing RPMs

Here are some Hoaye fans with scorpion motors doing such...between 7 & 11 seconds into the video...turn up earphones to hear it...frequency is high

A-10 Scorpion 4035-630kv, Haoye 5" Fan on Dual 10S setup (0 min 31 sec)

Rotor whine from an unbalanced fan can be amplified by the fuse too
Apr 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57
Nice set-up TAM!

if you look closely at pic 2, check out the aluminum center body. it has cooling grooves in it and the carbon tail cone mounts over the grooves so this way 200mph airflow enters the the tail cone and goes over the esc and out the back.
this is the single best way to keep your esc's cool
Apr 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57
Nice set-up TAM!

Apr 05, 2012, 12:57 PM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Thanx jcdfrd and TAM, just checked that out (couldn't make out the details on the iPad at first...).
As stated before, very nice setup.

Nicely engineered TAM!
Apr 05, 2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
What are your bench numbers?

Regards
You know I don't play much with the bench.
It doesn't had wing.

My number are install in the Habu. So is alway less on static thrust and more watts and amps.
Most my test are done in actual model. So data is very close to other model too within 2-5% depend on ducting and exhaust diameter.
Apr 05, 2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
You know I don't play much with the bench.
It doesn't had wing.

My number are install in the Habu. So is alway less on static thrust and more watts and amps.
Most my test are done in actual model. So data is very close to other model too within 2-5% depend on ducting and exhaust diameter.
Nice Fan Tam..as usual...I have a TJ70..Why did they eliminate the PZ Habu?? I dont get what HH does at all!! It sucks...the PZ Habu was a great Foamy!!
Apr 05, 2012, 02:31 PM
My fan is not yet installed on aircraft, but there is awesome swoosh on test stand already. Turnigy 2650 kv inrunner & rc lander housing & 4s.
I just got a new motor which is also Turnigy 28mm inrunner, but 2200 kv. Tested it without fan and did not produce much unwanted whine, expecing great whoosh with it. The metal housing is heavy and it is beneficial for damping unwanted noise, if you look what car hifists do with their cars to dampen resonances - they add heavy materials. The plastic housing that came with the fan is so lightweight that it will be no surprise if it whines and amplifies all vibrations from the fan system as unwanted noise.

I just ordered metal housing for my 12 blade 90mm fan as well from extremerc and based on experiences with rc lander metal housing, it seems to be a great idea to exchange the plastic housing with higher quality one. Also I am quite sure that the unwanted signature edf sound partly comes from outrunner motors which vibrate more than the inrunners combined with lightweiht plastic housings (in addition to the blade number and geometry of course).
Apr 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK
Nice Fan Tam..as usual...I have a TJ70..Why did they eliminate the PZ Habu?? I dont get what HH does at all!! It sucks...the PZ Habu was a great Foamy!!
I know....PZ Habu was great flying foam jet.
Wish had take the last one from LHS.
Apr 05, 2012, 02:38 PM
Head up guys.
When install the CS rotor. Don't hold the rotor by the blade.
You will snap the blade off easy. I did it other night tight my nut..

If you had stock shaft. Put the nut on. Goes back 1/4" from the front and use 1/16" drill bid to drill across the shaft to hold the shaft while tight up the nut.
Last edited by Tamjets; Apr 05, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply