This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 12, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tomahawk

I have one more piece of depron sitting here in a box, two more hs-55's and a bec, so that was obviously nagging at me to do something. I'm thinking I'm going to draw up a cruciform Tomahawk cruise missile tonight. I'll probably move the wings back slightly and trim the bottom fin so that it is level with the intake scoop so that on landing it won't be too nose down when it slides. I noticed the new block IV version only has 3 fins and no extended intake, I considered that one with the rear tail surfaces horizontal instead of bent down slightly but frankly it looked pretty boring.

Made good progress tonight, drew it up, sanded and fit the pieces, installed the tail pivots, landing reinforcement, and thin wing strip spars.

I did move the wing back a bit and gave a bit more chord, I cut the bottom ventral so that it the intake and the front of the nose all touch at the same time to distribute the landing load.

On this plane, I'm going to do the markings before I assemble it. Glide tests showed the CG a bit further forward than I guessed, due to the wide forward area.

AUW with some nose weight to counter the loaded motor is 9.5 oz rtf and 7.5 oz dry with no motor in the tail.

Test flight today was perfect, glide trim on flap switch of about 3/16" was right on, nice glide given the small wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QGifqqChA

Plans at:

www.dynasoarrocketry.com go to the "home" tab and plans pulldown.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 14, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply