Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
ok here's a pretty fast 8s mega setup with Tams shaft adapter. most likely not the fastest but pretty darn fast for 8s
http://youtu.be/yoc7cBUhR3M
Here are my manual doppler results. I'm assuming you are using doppler software on a phone in the video? My numbers line up almost perfectly.

144 down wind first pass (starting at 0:56min)
133 up wind second pass
141 down wind third pass
126 up wind fourth pass
152 down wind fifth pass (the 155 pass on the video)
135 up wind sixth pass
135 down wind seventh pass
135 up wind eigth pass
147 down wind ninth pass (2:49min)

Seems like a solid 140mph setup to me!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
3DHOG
yep, your results are pretty close, what temp did you use? temp calibrates the Doppler. I don't remember the temp that day. but the radar is more accurate and I agree with you it is a solid 140-145mph setup

Quote:
I'm assuming you are using doppler software on a phone in the video?
nope, we were using Radar at the end of the video you can see the radar unit showing the 155mph pass. if you watch in HD you can read the radar unit
Oct 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
Spoooooon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
yep, your results are pretty close, what temp did you use? temp calibrates the Doppler. I don't remember the temp that day. but the radar is more accurate and I agree with you it is a solid 140-145mph setup

nope, we were using Radar at the end of the video you can see the radar unit showing the 155mph pass. if you watch in HD you can read the radar unit
Which radar gun is that? I remember a thread in the Dynamic Soaring section about a low cost accurate radar gun and it looked similar to yours. Most low end guns are terrible, but yours seems to be spot on.
Oct 12, 2011, 01:50 PM
3DHOG
I dont know which one that is, its not mine. I use my droid RC Speedo app and its always within a couple of mph of the radar unit
Oct 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
I thought was a race for new Habu speeds. Here's our current Habu
In the second half of the video, our 8s MEGA motored Habu was radared upwind 141/downwind 160
Avg'd top speed 150 mph.
I dopplered the fast pass at 159.xx mph just to check the rader,(Prospeed CR-1K) a couple monthes back
Ambient temp was 80*F

If you guys are going post video for doppler speed runs for a contest, please post the ambient temp (in the shade)
A digital thermometer display shown in the video is preferred.
Then post the video for anyone to doppler.

Habu 32, 8s MEGA hot laps (11 min 42 sec)
Last edited by efflux RC; Oct 12, 2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Correction: temp was 80*F
Oct 12, 2011, 07:32 PM
Lee Liddle
This looks like fun. There are lots of H32s out there and lots of power options. I'm a little short on hobby money right now but I just put a hold on a 32 at my LHS. While I'm waiting to get my airframe out of hock I think
I'll work on some manly man power to put in it.
Oct 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
John,
Maybe following sunday.
This weeken is warm and want to take advantage doing camping.
Oct 12, 2011, 07:39 PM
Lee,

Latest blog entry: Updated blog May 2017
Oct 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
John,
Maybe following sunday.
any fishing Tam?
Latest blog entry: Updated blog May 2017
Oct 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
Lee Liddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC
Lee,

What? I want to play too. LOL
Oct 12, 2011, 08:06 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
John,
Maybe following sunday.
Tam
the following sun is a possibility I'll see how I feel. that sat myself and some other club members are doing a dedication airshow down at Wayne Handleys old airstrip in greenfield. were doing it up with giant scale IMAC planes, Heli's and EDF and turbine jets, were on from 8 to 11 and then the big boys come on, Wayne Handley, Bill Stine, and maybe Sean Tucker for a fulls scale aerobatics show. it will be awesome so not sure how I'm going to feel on sunday but if my past is any indication I will be there on sunday just pm me when we get closer

John
Oct 12, 2011, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
What? I want to play too. LOL
Go ahead...tell me your gonna use wire skids for the mains on Q-Habu.

I wonder if there's gonna be some rules set by the organiser.
Last edited by efflux RC; Oct 12, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Oct 12, 2011, 10:58 PM
Keith Thomas
I have spoken with some experts that have great information to offer.
We can run this anyway you guys want to. Maybe Stock class, 6s aftermarket, 8s and unlimited.

We can pick someone, or two, to verify the speed and post. I am thinking about asking for sponsors so we can make this super fun. I am willing to put a little cash in to help pay for prizes. I can't guarantee what we can come up with, but I guarantee I'll try!

Understand this is just for fun . . . for me. I just have not enjoyed a airplane like this since my wife bought me a Maverick Pro in 96 or so. (Thanks J Redman, you did this! LOL)

I am open for suggestions on how you guys want to run this and what date we want to end it.

Oh and by the way, Horizon you suck for raising the price on the Boo!!! (still worth the money though)

Thanks,
Keith
Oct 12, 2011, 11:03 PM
another interesting question is how will the f4 compare to the 32 for top end? whats the room like for bigger packs?
Oct 12, 2011, 11:20 PM
LOL...king of the hill.
So 160mph average is king of the mountain.....

Here is first Habu flying with TJ80 Midi rotor on 8s at 2.7kw.
Average speed 145 average with this set up.
The 3kw little faster.

Habu 32 power by TJ80 (7 min 34 sec)

The 9s 3kw with TJ rotor or E-Flite rotor is the fastest set up. Spin over 50k rpm with 3kw power and had reach 160 average.
Last edited by Tamjets; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM.