Habu 32 Speed Contest Tumbler Unlimited Class 165.2 - Page 11 - RC Groups
Oct 31, 2011, 05:21 PM
3DHOG
Habu 32 speed contest **JCDFRD 140mph Open Leader **

oh damn why do I have a feeling this wont last LOL!!!!
ok well I guess its time to go to my bag-O-tricks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2011, 05:25 PM
Nicely done jcdfrd!!!

I am installing my nose gear door this week and will attempt to make a video later in the week. Gonna be fun to see what we all can do speed wise

I must be doing something wrong as every time I try to record speed with the Speedo app for my iphone I can never get a reading. Is there a trick to getting it to work?

S
Oct 31, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
I took mine that stopped working back to LHS. Only to find out that I'd drilled a hole into the bottom of it by accident and right thru the servo lead!
Took it home to fix it and totally destroyed it in the process. Those stop switches on that circuit board are VERY fragile! I had to buy a second set up for another plane so just bought trikes instead of mains only.
To add insult to injury....3 of my Hyperion servos died during set up last night. Apparently 6.2 volts is too high. Altho they are rated for 6.25 under load. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C
Well my Habu won't fly this weekend. The nose gear retract doesn't work. Here I went and bought the Eflite gear so everything would be easy and this happens. I hope Horizon will back me up with this thing.

Steve C
Oct 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17
Nicely done jcdfrd!!!

I am installing my nose gear door this week and will attempt to make a video later in the week. Gonna be fun to see what we all can do speed wise

I must be doing something wrong as every time I try to record speed with the Speedo app for my iphone I can never get a reading. Is there a trick to getting it to work?

S
well the first thing to check is make sure you got the latest update. they just updated the software last week I think and my buddy has the iphone app and it was iffy at best but this last weekend he told me it updated and was working as good as my droid does

just keep in mind that the phone listens thru the mic so wind, people talking or just ambient noise will effect it greatly, as a test you should be able to play my open class leading 140mph video and see how it works
Oct 31, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yes I actually was trying to read your passes but the little propeller just kept spinning and it never posted a speed.

I will look into the update.

Thx

S
Oct 31, 2011, 05:53 PM
3DHOG
also try setting the temp manually and changing the Doppler modes in the settings menu and generally just play around with it. most of the time I set mine to normal mode Doppler and manually set the temp
Oct 31, 2011, 06:09 PM
Just spent a good 15 minutes playing around with it while playing your video and not once did I get a reading. Pretty frustrating actually. Not sure what else to do. Also I don't see an update anywhere. Usually in the app store it will state if there is an update available but there isn't one for this app.

Oh well, I may try to mess with it a little later. BTW, I'm gunnin' for you man LOL

Actually, you and I are in different classes. You're in the Open class where as I'm in the 6S open class.

I will make every attempt to beat your time none-the-less

S
Oct 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
3DHOG
well, I will definitely do better than 140 that was more of just a run thru for us. so our little fun in the sun will be short lived as soon as the big guns come in. I dont think anything under 160mph in open class will stand. however if you can lay down 140mph in the stock class that has a good chance to hold up. good luck this should be fun

try a reboot on your phone, sometimes a running app will latch on to the mic service and not let go
Oct 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
Keith Thomas
Ok, I think we have the rules...I think??
Lets give this a try. I think it's fair for everyone.

RULES

Stock class:
Stock Eflite airframe and power plant….fan and motor
The only equipment allowed would be Eflite products other than the servos,
retracts, battery and esc. Limited to 7s.

6-7s Open
Stock Eflite airframe, maybe modified, any fan/motor combination. Limited to 7s. Other modifications allowed, the aircraft must remain airworthy and operated in a
safe manner and flown in accordance to the AMA rules.

Open
Stock Eflite airframe, maybe modified, and a safely, secured canopy.
Unlimited battery
Other modifications allowed, the aircraft must remain airworthy and operated in a
safe manner and flown in accordance to the AMA rules.

General

1. The passes cannot be out of a dive, all passes must enter the trap 100’ prior to the runway or trap area at the level in which the pass is recorded.
2. The aircraft should be flown not lower than the ground and not higher than 50’.
3. At no time shall the aircraft exceed 50’ of altitude within 10 seconds of entering the trap.
4. A successful run shall be one up wind pass and one down wind pass.
5. The upwind and downwind passes do not have to run consecutively but must be in the same flight. The passes will be averaged.
6. Recovering the flight surfaces with common iron on material for the purpose of changing color and painting of non-covered surfaces is allowed

Open class only additional rules

7. Custom landing gear doors is allowed
8. No custom internal control systems, unless it is something suggested by the manufacture or is commonly used in the R/C industry.
9. The canopy must retain it's original shape but the latch assembly maybe modified
to assure retention.
10. To qualify, a walk around of the aircraft must be provided on video. Stock class
shall include a video shot in the tail pipe to verify the stock motor. The video will be
continuous from the walk around, the passes and the traps.
11. This contest will be limited to electric power.
Pilots may post as many runs as they wish.
IE:
Start the video, the pilot gives his screen name, announces his class, show the
open canopy and tells how many cells, a quick shot up the old tail pipe, stock
class only,then launch the aircraft.
Oct 31, 2011, 06:44 PM
looks great Keith!! Thanks for taking the time

Let the games begin!!!

S
Oct 31, 2011, 06:47 PM
Team White Llama!
i won't be participating, but what purpose is the stock class? it's a 100% stock fan and motor, on 7S. i mean, won't everything been near the same speeds if all thier aircraft are the same? just my thoughts...
Oct 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
The stock class is just that - totally stock power system up to 7S. The 6S/7S open class is any motor or fan combo you want on 6 or 7S. Although I don't think anyone will run the stock motor and fan on 7S.

S
Oct 31, 2011, 09:16 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC
Hi jcdfrd,

Yeah, lets have yours be the first official entry and the Baseline speed.
Gary what happened? I thought you already had 150?
Oct 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
It was just something I posted while they were deciding the rules. Not really an official entry.
It's all good, and fine with me.

I'm hoping this will be an incentive for guys to see what they can do on thier own with some creativity and ingenuity.
It'll be fun to watch the speeds increase over time.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
Oct 31, 2011, 11:12 PM
Spoooooon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC
Hi jcdfrd,

Yeah, lets have yours be the first official entry and the Baseline speed.

Great flight. Nice clean passes.

I finally got some free time to doppler your speed passes. I feel that anyone who wishes can post thier doppler results, as I may not always be available.
You guys figure out which results you wanna use.

Here's what I got....

Ambient temp: 80*F

DW @ 2:52....141mph
UW @ 3:09....139mph
DW @ 3:25....142mph
UW @ 3:40....136mph

Averaged speed: 140mph
Are you using wavoscope?