Thread Tools
Oct 18, 2011, 10:54 AM
Wilde Sau
Beltpilot's Avatar
Thread OP
Try R2hobbies.com
They are located in HongKong, but their prices are cheap and shipping doesn't cost a lot for such a smaller kit...
How much did Nitro want for the kit plus shipping&handling?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2011, 10:57 AM
Registered User
Strongbow, try r2hobbies.com They have them listed for $48, not sure what shipping is. I've ordered from them before and had exc. service. I'd provide a link, but I'm still computer challenged.

Edit, great minds thinking alike, two for r2 within 3 minutes-good call Bernhard!
Oct 18, 2011, 11:32 AM
Registered User
eli5539's Avatar
It is nice to see renewed interest in this bird, has always been in my top 5
Oct 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Cool! Mine arrived this morning and I happen to be logged on remotely for work today

I would post pics but it looks exactly like Barrett G's so there's no reason to do so yet.

Quick question: does light weight spackle stick well to EPO or is prep work required? First thing I want to do is to fill in the "handles" on the access hatch.

So far, I am planning on the following:

Motors that will be good for about 250W each...so a 2200/30C battery will work.

The aileron linkages seem pretty good so I think I'll try running one metal gear 13g(ish) servo.

Fixed gear with gear doors attached

...and until I or someone finds a good set of props and spinners...I may even run the stock props and spinners, though this plane REALLY needs 3-blade props.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Strongbow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot
Try R2hobbies.com
They are located in HongKong, but their prices are cheap and shipping doesn't cost a lot for such a smaller kit...
How much did Nitro want for the kit plus shipping&handling?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Okay. I'll have to give them a try. I just got off the phone with Nitroplanes. They told me that Lan yu is no longer sending them anymore 335's. Dont know if they are not going to make it anymore or if they are restricting their inventory to companies with more of an international base.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow
Okay. I'll have to give them a try. I just got off the phone with Nitroplanes. They told me that Lan yu is no longer sending them anymore 335's. Dont know if they are not going to make it anymore or if they are restricting their inventory to companies with more of an international base.
Let us know how you make out.
If you have the option, you might consider the grey version. The green camo paint scheme is nothing to write home about and it will have to come off anyway. The grey one is bare grey EPO, if I recall.

BTW, the shipping from Nitroplanes was like $22 (to Connecticut) . You're going to save $10 off the top on the price so you might end up doing ok ordering right from R2Hobbies.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
Registered User
Strongbow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Let us know how you make out.
If you have the option, you might consider the grey version. The green camo paint scheme is nothing to write home about and it will have to come off anyway. The grey one is bare grey EPO, if I recall.

BTW, the shipping from Nitroplanes was like $22 (to Connecticut) . You're going to save $10 off the top on the price so you might end up doing ok ordering right from R2Hobbies.
UPDATE;
Just ordered from r2hobby. With shipping it came out to a little over 76.00. About the same coat as from Nitro. They only have the green version available. I'll probably try to remove the paint with tape. I have had some success doing this with some epo planes before. Thnks all for the info.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:41 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow
UPDATE;
Just ordered from r2hobby. With shipping it came out to a little over 76.00. About the same coat as from Nitro. They only have the green version available. I'll probably try to remove the paint with tape. I have had some success doing this with some epo planes before. Thnks all for the info.
Excellent! You actually saved a couple of bucks over what I paid.

Tape may or may not be a good way to get the paint off...but CA kicker and some rubbing usually works too. I'll report back on that.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
Registered User
MRGTX, On the finger indents on the battery hatch, I just cut out a rectangular shape in the foam, stuffed a balsa plank in it, filled the small gaps with spackle, sanded it to match the shape, and covered it with tissue and Poly. You could fill the whole with spackle, but I think it might shrink or chip over time and not be as good or durable a match as the balsa. I think you can see the patch in one of the earlier pics I posted of the unfinished 335.
Last edited by sgonzo; Oct 18, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
Oh no, not again!
jhspring's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Excellent! You actually saved a couple of bucks over what I paid.

Tape may or may not be a good way to get the paint off...but CA kicker and some rubbing usually works too. I'll report back on that.
Oven cleaner works well too and is probably a lot less $$ than kicker. Jeff
Oct 18, 2011, 01:02 PM
Registered User
Hello Jeff, Glad you're aboard! Did you get your Do335 yet?
Oct 18, 2011, 01:13 PM
Oh no, not again!
jhspring's Avatar
Stop it Steve! I went and looked, but didn't pull the trigger....yet. Jeff
Oct 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonzo
MRGTX, On the finger indents on the battery hatch, I just cut out a rectangular shape in the foam, stuffed a balsa plank in it, filled the small gaps with spackle, sanded it to match the shape, and covered it with tissue and Poly. You could fill the whole with spackle, but I think it might shrink or chip over time and not be as good or durable a match as the balsa. I think you can see the patch in one of the earlier pics I posted of the unfinished 335.
Yep... you're right. This is a much better way to do this.
Thanks for paving the way on some of these mods.
Oct 18, 2011, 06:24 PM
Oh no, not again!
jhspring's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonzo
Hello Jeff, Glad you're aboard! Did you get your Do335 yet?
Okay, okay. Looks like they might get hard to find, so I now have one en route from R2.

Need another project like a hole in the head, but this one is kind of cool. Stevo, you're a very bad influence.

Regards,
Jeff
Oct 18, 2011, 06:36 PM
Registered User
Strongbow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
Okay, okay. Looks like they might get hard to find, so I now have one en route from R2.

Need another project like a hole in the head, but this one is kind of cool. Stevo, you're a very bad influence.

Regards,
Jeff
Dont forget to go to the FMS warbird poll and vote. The DO335 is on the list.
Hint...hint


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Lanyu Radio Transmitter Antenna Not Connected FeiJi Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Sep 10, 2011 08:33 AM
Discussion Lanyu Binary-II DLG o Lanyu IceFire-II DLG? cefesky Hand Launch 3 Dec 09, 2007 10:55 AM
Discussion Yet another Dumas Do335 arrow conversion C. Alan Scale Kit/Scratch Built 5 Dec 30, 2004 10:40 AM
Westwings Do335 is up! Mad_Duk Scale Kit/Scratch Built 21 Sep 25, 2003 05:47 PM
Discussion Dumas Do335 Arrow Conversion AerodromeRC Scale Kit/Scratch Built 9 Oct 06, 2002 02:30 PM