Oct 12, 2011, 05:57 AM
Guarantee at least one landing
LOL, not like this thread needs any more opinions, examples or criticisms, but I can speak from my own perspective on how this hobby grows on you.

If places like X-flight and Hobby King (as examples) didn't exist, I wouldn't be enjoying this great hobby.

Like allot of others here, I just can't afford or justify spending big bucks on all the best gear, to just go out and crash every weekend.... I wouldn't still be flying if expensive airframes and electronics were my only option.

But as I have gotten better, I'm often encouraged enough to look at the next project. And then you get to the point of appreciating that quality and price do matter in this game so you convince yourself that the higher end products are the only way to protect your investment. Especially when the crashes are a result of poor quality cheap parts....

Even though I am intrigued by this fan (due to sound quality and price), like I am also interested in the Jetfan-90 (for the same reason), I will....own a Stumax fan......why.....because as you get more involved and read threads like this, and the countless others I have read, you owe it to yourself to get the best and spend the extra dollars.
Last edited by Burdo; Oct 12, 2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Updated comments
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2011, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Just a general comment here.......You guys, who are like me, and appreciate being able to get big performance or nice sound on a limited budget should have been here on RCG about three years ago.

Back then, if you so much as mentioned any brand that didn`t include a family crest in it`s logo, or anything that was available on-line from China or Hong Kong........it was instant flame city from your fellow RCGers.

Times have changed. Now the nay sayers do so under the banner of "safety first", or "buy American", it`s not a blatent attack on the size of your bank account like it use to be. I guess things have improved some anyway.

Stepping down from the soapbox now.

As far as this particular fan goes. I`m in, and will try one out for sure.

Lee
Heh, I figured jet pilots wanted to stay an elite group and no other way to do so than to make it too expensive to fly them.

Yeah, a couple of year ago when I saw a thousand skins for one of the 100mm + fans I was the heck with that. Now cause some brave souls have actually bench tested some combos for the hobby we can get 15+ thrust\5000 watts jet power systems for a couple hundred these days

That's a good thing, the more people the merrier...
Oct 12, 2011, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
For those that are interested the new 10 blade 70mm (I am not sure who they copied that one from) but it will be out in one to two weeks, and for the fan only it will cost $13-15.
The 90mm he said should be ready in a month or so.
And the 120 sounds like it might be another few months.
Any other questions you can e-mail X-flight.
FF, when you say fan only you're talking about the rotor only with no shroud, lip or hardware?

TIA
Oct 12, 2011, 06:29 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Quote:
Heh, I figured jet pilots wanted to stay an elite group and no other way to do so than to make it too expensive to fly them.
Take a pylon guy who stretched the rules to the extreme limits, teach him how to fly a jet and look what happens
Oct 12, 2011, 07:17 AM
Old Skool

AFA 68mm edf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Once in a while you see something that looks original. Rare I know, but I found this a while back. This fan has been around for maybe 2 years and it doesn't appear to be a copy of anything. Too bad they don't work with this as a starting point. I think it looks cool. Just needs more blades.
The AFA 68mm edf. I bought one and tested it. Very light loading. Efficiency wise it was down a little from other brands (HET, E-Flite). Definitely needs 5-6 blades and the base of the hub needs to be widened. There's a step where the base meets the motor tube and there's not a lot of hub area to balance it properly.
They have a smaller 55mm 5 bladed rotor of the same design.

Terry
Oct 12, 2011, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
TIA, I think he means that price for the whole fan.
If its not I will let you know.
Oct 12, 2011, 09:08 AM
Takes all kinds. There was a time a $50 fan purchase was a major investment for me - I understand

I fly my planes in lot's of different places, I just have to chuckle most times. Typical conversation after flying say, my Electra - That is COOL, gotta have one! Well, you can get a kit or you can get the ARF. How much? Well, the kit is cheaper, it is 1495. $14.95? No, ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED NINETY FIVE . At that point 99 times out of a hundred we can skip the discussion on fan costs <g>.
Oct 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Jim: only that middle paragraph applied; the last wasn't directed at you. Of all people you know the value of intellectual property and hard design work
Ah, ok!

Isn't Stu getting his blades made in China? Maybe the design was back-door'd?
Oct 12, 2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
Jim, you obviously haven't seen inside the hubs of my rotors, they're quite different from what Tom came up with.
Stu, I have all of your fans, so I know how your blade retention works. Tom's system works fine, and besides latching the blades in place it also forces all of the blades together so that there are no gaps between the blade bases. We have designed and produced several different versions of the rotor hub. From my experience, having no gap between blade bases is critical as space can allow the blades to wiggle against each other and create bad oscillations. Forcing them against each other eliminates this possibility.

Copying occurs all of the time in China. Look what happens when you change manufacturers of your receivers - suddenly there are orange clones. We deal with Taiwan mostly as they don't seem to be so much on the copy bandwagon.
Oct 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Jim, I was just saying the other day that Taiwan used to be where junk came from and now they make the good stuff!

If people want to fly cheap, try actually building something. That's how I do it on a budget. There's no excuse anymore because you could just about build a space station by watching youtube videos.
Oct 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Cool! Now when will they make a 100mm.
Oct 12, 2011, 04:02 PM
Keith Thomas
You know today at lunch I went out to the shop and picked up the box that my Eflite Habu 32 fan came in.....Made in China.

To me it's not so much where it's made it's how it's made. I bought some really nice products from China, Eflite, and some real junk also. Having said that I bought some not so good stuff made in the USA as well.

I am an American and dam proud of it. A lot of generations of my family have spilled blood for our freedom, including my oldest son. They defended my right to buy from anywhere I want to. I am blessed to have the extra money to buy what ever I want, I have owned a bunch of BVM stuff, Bandit's, Aggressor's, Mav. Pro, Mav's and on and on, I spend my money on products that I enjoy.

I have nothing against the Chinese or the products they make, as long as the do their home work and provide a quality product.....I think I even had a girl friend once that was made in China!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Flip-Flop I whatched that video & thats gotta be the quietest EDF I've ever heard! they should call it the 12 blade whisper fan! Lol.
Oct 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
you thinking of these for your MD-80's, Chris? even if you have to cut them down a bit, they might be just what you need. although, there are the 10 blade 70mm fans too.
Oct 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
Official Boat Bum
I don't see the 10 blade 70mm fans on the Xflight website. Only the 4 blade 70mm fans. So far the high blade count fans are not showing on the site (at least for the 70mm ones).

Quick Reply