Thread Tools
Nov 19, 2019, 03:09 AM
User Registered
gen3v8's Avatar
Wow 6 years and I`m up to page 454. Thanks to all the people who supplied GOOD information. I have 3 of these and could only weigh one,46gms, but they seem Ok. The most used unit has a small vibration now well below its useful rpm, but is still too quiet. My latest unit in my Mirage was the one I weighed and I pulled it out of the model after its maiden because this thread gave me head noise. It was loose in its shroud mounts and was not balanced well. It had touched the shroud so I used super glue on the screws, because loctite destructs ABS plastic. All good now and I spent hours balancing each piece dynamically
and glued the blades in.
Cheers again Dave
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 11:56 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8
Wow 6 years and I`m up to page 454. Thanks to all the people who supplied GOOD information. I have 3 of these and could only weigh one,46gms, but they seem Ok. The most used unit has a small vibration now well below its useful rpm, but is still too quiet. My latest unit in my Mirage was the one I weighed and I pulled it out of the model after its maiden because this thread gave me head noise. It was loose in its shroud mounts and was not balanced well. It had touched the shroud so I used super glue on the screws, because loctite destructs ABS plastic. All good now and I spent hours balancing each piece dynamically
and glued the blades in.
Cheers again Dave

If you dont like to balance your CS fan,
just buy the combo from Xflightrc in Hong kong.
their fan units are balanced by machine...


.
Nov 20, 2019, 04:23 AM
Foam addict
4stripes's Avatar
As much as I like Xflight, I wouldn’t trust any EDF that is supposedly factory balanced. Seen too many missing and loose motor mounting screws, lack of lock title and poor dynamic balance. Nothing worse than having an adapter come loose. They are simple enough to do right yourself, and get proper balance.
Nov 20, 2019, 05:19 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
their fan units are balanced by machine...
Yes the biological machine with two arms, two legs, and limited skillsets.

Wemotec rotors ARE balanced by machine, we can believe this, but it doesn't mean they run smooth when assembled, THAT takes skill and a feel for the fan, and to do it quickly takes a lot of experience.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Nov 21, 2019, 03:43 AM
User Registered
gen3v8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Yes the biological machine with two arms, two legs, and limited skillsets.

Wemotec rotors ARE balanced by machine, we can believe this, but it doesn't mean they run smooth when assembled, THAT takes skill and a feel for the fan, and to do it quickly takes a lot of experience.
touché
Nov 22, 2019, 01:58 PM
Registered User
.


Their combo is already installed, and
dynamically balanced. Ready to use.
here is straight out of Xflight site



XRP 90mm 14 Blade Power Unit 1450Kv is
For 6s With Dynamic Balanced !


Description:-
-Outside Diameter: 93.6mm
-Rotor Diameter: 89mm (14 blade)
-Meterial: Fibre Reinforced Nylon Rotor
-Motor : Outrunner Brushless, 1450Kv ( Installed )
-Shaft adaptor to motor: 5mm
-Static Thrust : 3020g / 94A
-Weight: 393g
-Working Voltage : 22.2v ( 6S )

This motor / Fan unit combo was pre balanced by a balancing machine. The balance weight is in the spinner and the combo was installed in a proper position. We strongly remind user not to disassemble the fan unit and motor, otherwise the balance work would fail.


.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:28 PM
Foam addict
4stripes's Avatar
I ordered their 13 blade setup and it was also supposedly balanced. It had weight in the spinner but had poor dynamic balance.
Again, it is not rocket science to do it right yourself and you can rest assured it won’t grenade in the future.
Nov 24, 2019, 01:16 AM
User Registered
gen3v8's Avatar
I pulled th CS98012 out of my L39 for a inspection ,because of a low rpm vibration I don`t remember it having. So I weighed it @ 45.9grams, glued it, static balanced and dynamic balanced it. Amazing how much weight it needed but ran nicely before hand. Now it really runs nice with its 3674 1600kv Dr Mad thrust inrunner. Sits on about 1800w with 6s 5000 graphenes.
Nov 24, 2019, 03:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8
I pulled th CS98012 out of my L39 for a inspection ,because of a low rpm vibration I don`t remember it having. So I weighed it @ 45.9grams, glued it, static balanced and dynamic balanced it. Amazing how much weight it needed but ran nicely before hand. Now it really runs nice with its 3674 1600kv Dr Mad thrust inrunner. Sits on about 1800w with 6s 5000 graphenes.

So it draws around 81 Amp on that motor? I
have one in the Box :-) SK3 3659 1600kv
do you glue the blades to the core? the hub?
with CA ?


.
Nov 24, 2019, 09:42 AM
Foam addict
4stripes's Avatar
I have setup the 3659 1600kv motor with CS9012. Here is my findings.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...ghlight=1600kv

With other 1600kv motors I usually get over 2000watts settled on 6s (with zero or low timing). Perhaps gen3v8 has to calibrate the throttle or his battery may be sagging.
Nov 24, 2019, 01:52 PM
Registered User

kV values are mostly off...


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
I have setup the 3659 1600kv motor with CS9012. Here is my findings.....
I have one 3659 1600 SK3 motor, and kV of that motor is not 1600 but rather 1750 (measured 1720kV but with bearing friction that will make it a 1750kV) - others have similar results, as the motor works ok already with the Wemo Evo on 6s - 1600kV would be too low for that rotor...
Nov 24, 2019, 04:59 PM
User Registered
gen3v8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
So it draws around 81 Amp on that motor? I
have one in the Box :-) SK3 3659 1600kv
do you glue the blades to the core? the hub?
with CA ?


.
I glued the blades to the 2 retainer rings only, with ca. A lot of my direction has come from 4stripes findings over the years. I am not sure about the SK3 motor but this is what I have https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-t...sion-36mm.html

I will do a fresh amps test and take proper note. When i tested it last I was not over fussed Just wanted to make sure sudden death was not going too happen.
The batteries are fresh Graphenes which i keep chilled for storage. I`ll make sure they are warm run the test and then do the Esc throttle calibration or check its range in the programming and retest.
Nov 24, 2019, 05:42 PM
Foam addict
4stripes's Avatar
1800w sounds too low. I would try another battery or even another ESC. Either one could be limiting the power.
Last edited by 4stripes; Nov 25, 2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Amp/watts change
Nov 25, 2019, 02:19 AM
Registered User
edwen303's Avatar
Did two more flights of Taft Valkyrie, running 1550kv motor and Hobbyking CS 12b fan, on both 6s and 7s, very smooth. Not much difference in performance between lighter 6s and heavier 7s. These HK CS fans are good so far, as long as my motor shafts are running true, almost minimal balancing as far as I remember (honestly it has been long time since I posted here regarding those HK fans and have been busy work and rc projects).
Nov 25, 2019, 03:06 AM
User Registered
gen3v8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
81amps sounds too low. I would try another battery or even another ESC. Either one could be limiting the power.
I never mentioned amps. I just glanced at the meter because I didn`t care at the time. It has a red brick 125a esc 4 programme parameter. Why would I even want to pull more amps as it is already more than powerful enough


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $40 shipped MJB9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 7 Oct 06, 2011 10:47 PM
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $50 shipped MJB9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Oct 05, 2011 09:14 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 06:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 01:27 PM
Video 6 and 12 blade 90mm fan sound test tom bacsanyi Electric Plane Talk 3 Dec 10, 2009 08:01 PM