Aug 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
Suspended Account
I totally agree with you with the last statement..
I just hope the xflight blades which are heavier and darker and stiffer are better.

on my fan the root stayed on the hub.. the blade just exploded.. other have seen the whole blade comming off.. when mine happened that wasn't the case at 4:13 you can see the problem there..

L-59 misshap (6 min 6 sec)

and you can hear if it was balanced in the beginning..
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
Im going to run my Hysol'd and balanced CS12-90mm rotor near or possibly over 3Kw tomorrow (8S and HET 700-68-1400) and im hoping it holds together. I have run it up on 4S an it was very smooth after playing with the set screws and spinner a bit. I plan to run several packs on the bench before putting it in my plane. I will also thest the setup on 6S just to see what I get. I hope it puts out enough useable thrust occassionally use my 6S packs to fly the A-RC F-18...in relaxed mode for touch and go's. It should still be better watts than the stock setup...maybe around 2kw?
I humbly suggest before puttin the fan in the plane do a thrust test with the packs that you'll be using...

I'm having a feeling all 3000 watts aren't the same...
Aug 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
Suspended Account
I got 3056 watts with the fan IN PLANE. outside I suppose ity could be more.
and with 65c nanos
alittle tired nanos but up to the task
Aug 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I got 3056 watts with the fan IN PLANE. outside I suppose ity could be more.
and with 65c nanos
alittle tired nanos but up to the task
Pav, those HET motors are really solid I could imagine with 65c packs that it was doing over 10lbs with that setup at 3kw.

If they're wound like the TP motors then they are no doubt turn more volts into RPMs with more efficiently...
Aug 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
Suspended Account
Well.. Fiest of all they are more accurate on their speced kv.
As for efficiency, im no expert but if stu uses them it has to mean something.

Btw i just got the replacement blades from xflight and the replacement fan from hobbyking.
They arrived on the same exact day .

I will be making a video later on reviewing them. Though scott himself also sent me qnother replacement fan as a present thqt he personally picked and i suppose thar he taljed to cs about it so it has to be a better one.

A quick inpection on the hk fan it has those white spot in the blades. The vid i will have it ready before tonight
Aug 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
ok... I promised for a video..forget about it because my spy glasses didn't work..
but I have some points to actually confirm..

I weighted the blades of the hk fan assembled..
they weighted 69grams (with the 8mm adaptor)

the xflight ones came dissasembled. I put the 8mm adaptor on the scale
and it showed 75 grams..

6 grams heavier.
then I removed all the aluminum parts to make sure the diference was in the blades.
the hk ones weighter 39 grams
the xflight ones... 45grams

other differences..
the white spots on the HK blades that I couldn't remove with my nail
the xflight did not have those marks and they were SIGNIFICALLY stiffer .. pay attention on the capital letters PLEASE

now as I said on my previous post on it's way here is a second fan as a present from Scott. If it's the same as the xflight blades then it means they know the difference..

if your blades are the lighter ones.. it;s safer to go up to 2000 watts max..
as for the second set.. I will try to see how it will go.. I don't know if I will try to use the stock housing..

well.. point is.. we got two qualities.. a lot will be explained when the fan from Scott arrives.. I will let Scott know about this..
Aug 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ok... I promised for a video..forget about it because my spy glasses didn't work..
video or didn't happen...!

just kidding!
Aug 22, 2012, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
just to make sure everything is ok I'm going to be getting the first CS Ive ever assembled that failed too after 100 flights in a friends FLYFLY Mb339
I'm just gonna checj wether that fan has the stiffnes of the xflight blades or it s one like the ones that HK has.
I'm also gonna check how that failed since I haven't seen it yet..
that fan ha dthe 4082 motor 1600kv on 6s but he never limited the throtle so he was pulling around 130 amps.
his failure happened on the take off but unfortunately he lifted the plane a bit so he too some damage..
Aug 22, 2012, 06:28 PM
You would want to be using alloy housings for now! LOL
Especially in a composite, where potential damage (split fibreglass) could be very sad...
Otherwise not risk it at all until more sure.
eg That L-59
I guess you could wrap the stock housing in some kevlar tape or something.....
Aug 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
after I assembled again both fans and saw how much difference there is in quality I woudln't risk to use the housing of that flexible fan..
I will wait for the alloy housing from Tim Wan.
prob is I had an issue with my card and I iwll have to wait for a new onenext week..
so it's gonna be a little be delay
at least I will have time to rebuild my rclander Cougar
Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (3 min 17 sec)
Aug 22, 2012, 07:19 PM
Suspended Account
btw I let Scott know about this at HK and he answered me back that he will loook into it with xflight. I think this issue with the blades will be resolved soon for HK too..
as for the housing thing .. I don't see how it will be corrected anytime soon by CS unless they come out with a V2 housing or something.
Aug 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
3DHOG
Pav
what issue are you refering to about the housing?
Aug 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
All the housings seem fine to me... they are just not fine as 'blast shields' for the exploding fan cases! Thus if you are risking using an uknown fan, you want more strength to protect the fuselage at the fan position - not just an obviously destructable (as seen in results) fan housing. Thus an alloy, or a wrapped CS12 one etc.
Aug 23, 2012, 01:30 AM
Suspended Account
well Ive seen too much flex on high powered systems so there is a great possibility the fan touches the shroud and rub and then explode
Aug 23, 2012, 01:43 AM
CS12 housings? They are quite robust really, but they are what I would call a 'medium plastic' total. I would suspect they would need to be "inadequately" mounted to have an issue - more unit strength comes from the surrounding area (could be a foamie).than from off the flanges of course. So gaining support from perimeter material (foam or bulkhead) makes a big difference.
eg if it rested in pure 'air' off its flanges, with no surround support - which I guess you could be meaning in a composite.
So in that case, work out a way to support it better (2x ply bulkheads). And if that is a pain, then I guess go to alloy! But as they come, they would be one of the strongest of the 'plastic' housings around.

When I think about it... the CS 5 blade 'high performance' unit has probably the strongest housing I have seen, I forget the comparison. I have two of those, but don't know if the CS12 rotor would fit, or work well, in that. That whole fan unit is strong as an ox! It wouldn't (hardly if at all) flex even if just on flanges!
Last edited by PeterVRC; Aug 23, 2012 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply