Thread Tools
Jan 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
BOHICA!
Mike Warren's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbit4447
.......
Please don't confuse readers with dribble.
.......B
Oh, I don't think long time EDF guys would EVER accuse Klaus/Winmodels of spouting "dribble"
Careful who you cross swords (keyboards) with.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
bobbit4447's Avatar
My apologies to Klaus if interpreted that way.
B
Jan 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbit4447
The statement I made is correct. I attach a reference from AMCA (The authority that Certified American Fan Manufacturers use) in order to calculate HP/watts for fans of varying diameters. Please don't confuse readers with dribble.
B
Hi bobbit
Please read my post again. I did say that you were quite correct!!
But even in the pdf you coppied are five (5) equations not just the one quoted initially. But you must consider all of them to get the right picture.
Particularly with EDFs your concern is mainly thrust, and for that you need a bit more than than just the fan laws!

To give you a bit more to read have a look at
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536911

Have fun with fans

KRS

btw. what do you actually mean by "confuse readers with dribble" ?
Jan 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
EDF rules... :)
AirX's Avatar
Since the difference in area is only ~38% for 80mm fan cut down from a 90mm fan the difference between them is only ~38% of the amp load, If the 80mm is pulling 100 amps the 90mm will be pulling ~138 amps. This is all things equal except fan swept area.

Eric B.
Jan 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Fly it like you stole it !
bobbit4447's Avatar
Eric
My reference was made to geometrically similar fans.
The discussion on cut down fans is on another thread.

Bob
Jan 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
You win again gravity!
SMorrisRC's Avatar
But that's only applicable if the load on the fan is constant across its radius, which it isn't (twist and speed are different). It's probably a decent enough ballpark assumption though if you err on the side of caution.
Jan 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Registered User

cs 90 mm


Hello,
Well some good news my CS fan will be staying in my L39.I had a re think on how to loose some weight,by changing the rear mounted elevator servo, moving the fan forwards enabling me to shed some nose weight and use a smaller rx batt.
I also had a play around with the motor timing and changed my lipos to some new 45c ones getting me an extra 200 watts.I had two flights today and its a lot better with ample performance and the great sound,
cheers Euan..
ps lads stop all the high brow testing/arguing and actually stick it in an airframe you will love it
Jan 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Registered User
erh7771's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by egall232
...he high brow testing/arguing and actually stick it in an airframe you will love it
lol...everytime I bring out the airframes I want to "stick" it into I ended up flying them...

Damn this hobby is addictive..
Jan 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC
But that's only applicable if the load on the fan is constant across its radius, which it isn't (twist and speed are different).
It looks as if the same misconceptions reappear every five years or so, because there is no continuity of knowledge.
Certainly the load on the fan accross it's radius should be constant. It must be the aim of the designer to achieve this as well as possible in his search for efficiency. But then I think that you don't want to design an EDF.
On the other end, how do you want to judge the quality if you don't know the desgn principles?

BTW, I don't agree with the majority here, that the CS90 is a "clone" of Stu's fan, because the characteristics of Stu's "original" have been used long before, i.e a large number of individual blades fitted to a hub and the use of "scimitar" shape blades with a “hook” at the tip.

KRS
Jan 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi3000
It looks as if the same misconceptions reappear every five years or so, because there is no continuity of knowledge.
That is because reading is different than understanding.
Jan 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob
That is because reading is different than understanding.
Do you say that the newer members of RCG are stupider than in the past?

KRS
Jan 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi3000
Do you say that the newer members of RCG are stupider than in the past?

KRS
Not at all, just a comment from observations during my education and in my professional life that happens to apply here as well. A generality if you will, reading about a concept is a lot different than understanding the fundamentals behind them. I guess I was not really speaking to timelines of misconceptions.
Jan 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Registered User
heres a 12 Blades 90mm EDF sounds good and looks good to me for just $40 lol you have to see the landing thow its brill

heres the link to buy one

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...?prod=CS90-8mm


L-39.wmv (2 min 59 sec)
Jan 13, 2012, 01:23 AM
You win again gravity!
SMorrisRC's Avatar
Actually, I do understand.
The most efficient fan, much like any aerofoil, will have an elliptic loading, to give the best lift to drag ratio (in this case equivalent to thrust vs shaft power required). This is always the case as the tips cannot carry any load by definition, so you can never achieve a constant load across the fan.
The closer to it you try to get, the more thrust you'll get, but it won't be as efficient by definition as you'll have changed your oswalds efficiency factor (or whatever the equivalent term is in fan design).
Jan 13, 2012, 07:17 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
X-Flight now sells just the 8mm adaptor for about $10.

http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...=&lang=en&ev=#


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $40 shipped MJB9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 7 Oct 06, 2011 10:47 PM
Sold Zurich sun blocking sun-glasses $50 shipped MJB9 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Oct 05, 2011 09:14 PM
Sold Change Sun electric retracts Flip Flop Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 May 23, 2011 06:20 AM
Sold Change Sun Electronic retracts w/Lander struts hole digger Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 May 06, 2011 01:27 PM
Video 6 and 12 blade 90mm fan sound test tom bacsanyi Electric Plane Talk 3 Dec 10, 2009 07:01 PM