Oct 10, 2011, 10:41 AM
RTFM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyking TEK SUMO fpv

Ok did the maiden FPV with my new TEK SUMO from HobbyKing today!
Doesn't seem to be much interest for the wing on here , but anyway here the footage if anyone's interested.

It flies really nice , and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a short range bird! Great fun for only $30

Hobbyking TEK SUMO Maiden FPV (5 min 28 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2011, 12:55 AM
Member #1
I was thinking of buying one for FPV but wasnt really that impressed by the fact that all the important stuff is just hanging off the bottom.

How does it all go when belly landing?
Oct 11, 2011, 01:16 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman
I was thinking of buying one for FPV but wasnt really that impressed by the fact that all the important stuff is just hanging off the bottom.

How does it all go when belly landing?
Swift is the same way right? One reason I stayed away from it.
Oct 11, 2011, 01:22 AM
Member #1
I think i'll just kit out my Zagi, all the important parts are on the top and it flies quite nicely even with extra weight onboard.
Oct 11, 2011, 01:38 AM
Suspended Account
I fly my grim reaper. Has been more than perfect to me.
Oct 11, 2011, 06:21 AM
RTFM
Thread OP
As long as you land on grass theres no problem. For $30 its a bargin!
Oct 11, 2011, 07:21 AM
Well done octane, as long as you are happy and enjoy flying it, thats the main thing.
Plus at that price, it would be hard to buy a better Wing for cheaper. Good vid.
Oct 11, 2011, 08:41 AM
Seems a bit silly everyone being put off by the bottom mounted gear. Just because the manufacturer has given you holes to put stuff doesn't mean you have to put it there. I've got one on the way for fpv, I plan to cut the holes right through and then push the epp bits to the bottom. Or I may just fill in the holes with some scrap pieces. One problem I have is that I am wanting to use a pan servo for my cam and also have the battery completely imbeded into the foam on the top. With the pre-installed spars there isn't quite enough space at the nose. I thought that I could cut out the top wing spars and then recut the slots so that the spars curve around at the middle. A bit like if you were using one continuous spar. This would give me much more space at the nose and also add a bit to the strength of the spar system. Octane, how hard do you think it would be to cut out the spars? Are they glued in very well?

Cheers
Isaac
Oct 11, 2011, 01:44 PM
commit an act of aviation
Here's how I dealt with mounting the gear on my swift
Swift 2 FPV setup (1 min 37 sec)
Oct 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
RTFM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
Here's how I dealt with mounting the gear on my swift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dab9GdILtNA
Thats a nice wing !
What motor / prop combo are u using? And what about flight time?
Oct 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
RTFM
Thread OP
Tested RCTimer 1400kv motor with 8x4 prop , and got between 15-20min flight time out of the 2200mAh lipo.
RCtimer 2200kv only gave me max 10min time, tested with 7x5 and 6x4.
Oct 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
commit an act of aviation
I'm using a Great Planes Rimfire 28-30-950 on an 8x6 prop. I easily get 15 minutes out of it on a 3s 2200mAh. love the way it flies, very locked in and groovy. (I'm assuming the TEK SUMO is basically a knock-off of the MS swift 2...)
FPV Swift Hunting Down FunCub (5 min 20 sec)
Oct 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81
As long as you land on grass theres no problem. For $30 its a bargin!
+$32 shipping kinda takes away the "bargain" thing.
Oct 13, 2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81
Tested RCTimer 1400kv motor with 8x4 prop , and got between 15-20min flight time out of the 2200mAh lipo.
RCtimer 2200kv only gave me max 10min time, tested with 7x5 and 6x4.
I was actually just looking at that motor. I'm curious about the flight time, is the 15-20min near max flight time or is that you being a bit hard on the throttle. Also what sort of vertical are you getting from that setup? Thanks
Edit: Also wondering what type of prop you're using. Some people are using slowflys which tend to draw more amps/create more thrust ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
I'm using a Great Planes Rimfire 28-30-950 on an 8x6 prop. I easily get 15 minutes out of it on a 3s 2200mAh. love the way it flies, very locked in and groovy. (I'm assuming the TEK SUMO is basically a knock-off of the MS swift 2...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7eaMtUv8Sw
I loved the video, it was just so smoooth and as you said 'locked in'. I'm thinking this may be because of your big prop, with a higher kv/smaller prop it may be more jumpy? Anyway, it seems you're able to cruise around 4amps, meaning you'd be able to get around half an hour flight time?! You wouldn't happen to know your auw would you?
Yea the Teksumo is a tiny bit bigger, is denser and has spars preinstalled. I'm loving the centre pod idea. Definitely going to do that to mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28
+$32 shipping kinda takes away the "bargain" thing.
Yea you kinda have to order in bulk from HK, else the shipping ends up more than the actual product..
Last edited by IsaacW; Oct 13, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Oct 13, 2011, 07:03 AM
RTFM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacW
I was actually just looking at that motor. I'm curious about the flight time, is the 15-20min near max flight time or is that you being a bit hard on the throttle. Also what sort of vertical are you getting from that setup? Thanks
Edit: Also wondering what type of prop you're using. Some people are using slowflys which tend to draw more amps/create more thrust ?
15-20min flight time is just half throttle crusing... vertical is not so great because of the heavy 2200mah lipo + camera up front.
It wasnt great with the 2200kv motor either , but without fpv gear and a 1500mah battery instead it really goes vertical no problem!
Im just using normal thin electic props , no slowflys.

Quick Reply