Oct 21, 2011, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Got this in the air today to maiden and test fly. Adjusted all throws by site, since the 1 page instructions didn't say anything about throws, and put in 30% expo as I do with all planes that I fly for the first time. First flight was white knuckle and little tense for the first few minutes. Took off at a pretty steep nose up angle of attack and I had a the stick with some nose down to keep it from stalling. Wanted to roll a bit to the left but I just wanted to get some altitude so I could trim out the pitch problem with room for mistakes.

Ended up with full nose down trim and it still climbed at full throttle and was level flight at about 50% throttle, brought her back in once I had everything trimmed out and landed a little fast, and flaps are not working (waiting on new servos to arrive). And right away checked where trim was set on the plane, set the radio trims back to center and mechanically adjusted to those points.

Second flight the plane flew like it was on rails, what a gem in the air! Even with all the troubles I have had with servos this plane is beautiful in the air and worth it!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
Glad you got it flying. The Trojan is a great flyer. I found that the best way to deal with Nitroplanes is with their Live chat.
Oct 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster
Glad you got it flying. The Trojan is a great flyer. I found that the best way to deal with Nitroplanes is with their Live chat.
Thanks, I will try using that on Monday, during their normal business hours!!
Oct 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
Memento Mori
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFlyer43
Got this in the air today to maiden and test fly. Adjusted all throws by site, since the 1 page instructions didn't say anything about throws, and put in 30% expo as I do with all planes that I fly for the first time. First flight was white knuckle and little tense for the first few minutes. Took off at a pretty steep nose up angle of attack and I had a the stick with some nose down to keep it from stalling. Wanted to roll a bit to the left but I just wanted to get some altitude so I could trim out the pitch problem with room for mistakes.

Ended up with full nose down trim and it still climbed at full throttle and was level flight at about 50% throttle, brought her back in once I had everything trimmed out and landed a little fast, and flaps are not working (waiting on new servos to arrive). And right away checked where trim was set on the plane, set the radio trims back to center and mechanically adjusted to those points.

Second flight the plane flew like it was on rails, what a gem in the air! Even with all the troubles I have had with servos this plane is beautiful in the air and worth it!

Very glad you got everything worked up man. Sometimes these things are a pain in the butt, but once everything is figured out it puts a big or your face...
Oct 22, 2011, 07:14 PM
Glad you got it sorted out and getting to enjoy flying it now
Oct 25, 2011, 08:41 AM

NitroPlanes Rant Once was loyal now??

This is my third model from Nitroplanes. I had a small issue with the first two which was just junk prop adapters that they immediately replaced. I was impressed with the speed of response. However, my T-28 had a few small issues from the box.
- Shorted Navigation wing tip LED that burned all the wires on that wing on initial power up!!.
- Busted clevise on nose gear bay door
- Flaps glued on with that gui glue so hard to deploy without straining servo

All in all minor stuff that is expected with these models. So I fixed everything, balanced and setup the trojan and off to the field for test flight. Weather was 3 to 4 knots steady breeze down the paved runway center. Taxied great with a smooth rotate and into flight. Slight right trim required for perfect trim. I immediately knew that this was a good flyer so setup for landing that was smooth and slow.

Second flight with fresh 3300 mh pack. Even better flight now that I could trust it. Flew six minutes on timer then setup into the approach pattern. NO RIGHT GEAR AND NOSE STUCK HALF WAY!!. Well a decision to be made. Cycled several times with no change. I fly in the desert off a real paved runway with no option to land gear up on any type of grass. So if I came in with gear up I would probably rip off the gear doors and grind the under body to bits along with loosing the prop etc. So I decided to come in on nose and one main. Got her down quite smooth with minimal rollout.

Autopsy.... Nose gear had stuck due to bad thread on drive gear. Right main just dead with one back to life cycle then dead. Aileron servo stripped along with flap and aileron busted clevises and control horns. Prop chipped and split spinner hub. Fair grinding damage to fuse with a few dents.

Put in service ticket with zero response along with email to tech support. Finally got response from tech support (not via the ticket system) I had included all of my contact info along with the ticket number and what I had purchased. So now all I get is lame emails that keep asking for the info that I have already sent and that they cannot find my open ticket etc etc. At first I just wanted to get an RMA to exchange parts and send back the damaged ones as proof. Now I think they should replace the whole aircraft as it was damaged due to malfunctioning gear on the second flight.

So obviously one cannot rely on decent customer service anymore and with that in mind I have already purchased replacement parts from another source. So now my $220 deal from Nitro is now around a $400+ foam aircraft that is all banged up due to a $9 crappy landing gear. They have no spares in stock so now forced to purchase and have to modify parts from other suppliers.

Funny thing is, I was so going to buy the Banana Hobbies A1 SkyRaider then chose the Nitro T-28 due to the bad rep that BH has! Now who is the fool!. So my next aircraft will be a BH model as Nitro have completely dropped the ball and after two weeks have basically done nothing other than lip service. So with both suppliers being garbage it comes down to the model I want. I must say that I have been very pleased with the Airfield Airframes and flight characteristics. It is such a pity that vendors are so profit driven that they let suppliers sell them absolute crap parts and let them get away with it.

I would rather pay an extra $50 or more and get a model that uses really decent parts so I do not have to replace half of everything in them. Would be cheaper in the end.
Oct 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
Team JR/DFA, KBDD Team Captain
On the gear doors, someone had posted, back when the Corsairs had just come out, that increasing the endpoints on the gear channel on the radio would allow the gear and doors to operate consistently and properly.

On my Corsair, the gear doors did not want to close. I increased the endpoints in the radio and the problem was resolved. Just a setting, in that case, not a failure.

It does sound like your flap servos is bad, though.
Nov 08, 2011, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401
Yea I'm familar with the wingers. Never flew there but I'm a regular up at hobbytown mooresville. I fly at waymer, you don't need to join the aces to fly at waymer just need a ama but like you said you do need to join to use the speedway. I only live 10m from waymer so it suits me well.
Well, it's nice to find some more local guys around. I've got a park pass for Waymer but I've only been about 3 times this year. I visited the RCWingers once and liked it so I'll probably join that club in January. I'll get another pass for Waymer next year also since it's only about 5 or 6 miles from where I live and the paved runway is nice.
Just so you know I'm not entirely off topic, I do have the Airfield P-51, but it's the smaller version.
Last edited by Murman; Nov 08, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Mar 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Ah-Chem

Sorry to hear all the problems I think you can't beat the looks from Airfield but I learned my lesson and will by the kit version and put in my own electronics from now on. I am installing cheap HobbyKing HXT900 servos for the flaps that were not working and probably the same for the landing gear servo that is not working, although thinking about getting metal gear servos for those.

Been busy with some other projects, like the Superfly, so haven't had much time to work on my T-28 but with the weather improving I am looking forward to getting it up in the air again.
Mar 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman
Well, it's nice to find some more local guys around. I've got a park pass for Waymer but I've only been about 3 times this year. I visited the RCWingers once and liked it so I'll probably join that club in January. I'll get another pass for Waymer next year also since it's only about 5 or 6 miles from where I live and the paved runway is nice.
Just so you know I'm not entirely off topic, I do have the Airfield P-51, but it's the smaller version.
Murman, have you joined RC Wingers? Glad to have you. I don't get out there as much since I moved to Harrisburg. Can't beat the group of guys there. I looked at a club in Mt. Pleasant this past weekend and nice club but I bring my 2 year old daughter sometimes and that is a little too close to the road for her to wander into. So for now sticking with RC Wingers. I might try Waymer or the Speedway too, the Speedway is real close to my house but I never see anyone out there and there is not shelter so you have to pack your own and bring some chairs, but it might be worth it since it is so close.
Mar 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFlyer43
Murman, have you joined RC Wingers?
Check your pm's.
Oct 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
KG4WXI
Rcflyer43 I bought the gray t28 1400 mm and all i had was problems first the retracts failed then got a 2nd set and at first good then in air flying great went to land and as you know it one side did not come down tryed and tryed till i had to land on belly landing. Started checking and i could find nothing wrong got on live chat they told me to buy a ubec to give the servos more power. haha i spent another 45.00 dollars hooked it up and still no go. so then all lights burn out go to there site and they have no parts for the t28 so i have a plane that looks good flys good but just trash ill not buy again from them. ill buy from hobbyking at least you can talk to some one and get parts for there planes. Hope yours never goes like this so good luck and happy flying.
Oct 02, 2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis01
Rcflyer43 I bought the gray t28 1400 mm and all i had was problems first the retracts failed then got a 2nd set and at first good then in air flying great went to land and as you know it one side did not come down tryed and tryed till i had to land on belly landing. Started checking and i could find nothing wrong got on live chat they told me to buy a ubec to give the servos more power. haha i spent another 45.00 dollars hooked it up and still no go. so then all lights burn out go to there site and they have no parts for the t28 so i have a plane that looks good flys good but just trash ill not buy again from them. ill buy from hobbyking at least you can talk to some one and get parts for there planes. Hope yours never goes like this so good luck and happy flying.
I took the doors off mine and haven't had a problem since. The issue is in the circuit that shuts the gear down if it senses a jam. If your gear bends just a bit and the wheels rub against the foam it's enough to cause it not to operate.
Oct 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
In my experience, NitroPlanes is no better than Banana Hobby. In contrast, the second time I flew my Parkzone T-28 I lost orientation and crashed her; I found her about 1/2 mile away with minimal damage. I simply went to my LHS and bought parts that afternoon. I put her back in the air with no problems the next weekend. Sure, for a cheaper price than Parkzone, you get an Airfield, Dynam, or Durafly model with all the doodads, lights, retracts, etc. The failure of your lights and retracts is a common one. I fly with friends who have all three of the T-28s from the companies I mentioned, all have had the retracts fail at some point and ended up waiting weeks for parts. Yes, my PZ T-28 has fixed landing gear, but mine flies while theirs are waiting for parts. I will stick with Parkzone, thank you very much.
Oct 03, 2012, 08:16 AM
Thread OP
I have taken the doors off of mine, installed a BEC and not having problems lately. Mine is the 1400mm Airfield from Nitroplanes (and they are not selling parts or the planes anymore). I love the way it flies, and looks they just used incredibly cheap parts which is why the plane wasn't much more than a PZ T-28 without all the bells and whistles. While at eWeek I flew it 8 times with no problems whatsoever.

I did talk to a couple guys who told me about the HK 1100mm and I looked them up, looks very similar to the Airfield just a bit smaller. I have been buying from HK for a few years now, mostly receivers and batteries and not had any significant complaints...one 4 cell battery go bad quickly (Nano-Tech) and shipping takes forever if you don't get from the USA Warehouse...but those planes look great and have the bells and whistles and for the money I think I will buy my next foam Warbird from HK. My PZ T-28 was my first after getting back in the hobby and served me well for learning and took a beating from me, but I just enjoy the scale looks, flaps, retracts and if you get a foam plane like that from Horizon like the Hawker Hurricane you are spending $280 for the plane, $90 for the retracts and by the time you add your Rx, batteries and shipping (oversize fees apply) you are looking well over a $500 foam airplane and in my opinion just not worth it, when you can get the likes of the A-1 Sky Raider from HK for $130 with retracts, lights and flaps and add in your RX and batteries and you are much less than half the cost! For me a no brainer, if I had tons of money to blow on the hobby maybe I would think differently, I don't know.

Quick Reply