Oct 08, 2011, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

MeanWell 1000-24 vs. 2 x Feather Merchant PSU

I don't know which one to get. I'm just torn between the two. In one hand the MeanWell is much nicer and easier to hook up to my 306B, but more expensive. On the other hand the FeathermerchantRC is much cheaper and he can hook them up in series for cheap. But they don't look as attractive as the meanwell power supply. HELP! Which one would you get and why?

Either this one.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=71

OR

This one.
http://feathermerchantrc.com/

2x 12V 47A
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2011, 07:31 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
FWIW, I have some experience with Meanwell supplies (medical equipment design).
They are pretty much WYSIWYG...nothing unexpected in operation
Oct 08, 2011, 07:59 PM
Southern Pride
If you have the coins purchase the Meanwell. Great to be able to brage about having a $200 to $500 power supply. Lot more impressive than saying you saved 80% of that purchasing used and soldering a few wires.

I use server power supplies myself and have for years. My 24v /55 amps. setup cost me less than $50 and about an hours time. May not win any beauty contest but gets the job done.

Charles
Oct 08, 2011, 08:25 PM
+1 on server supplies.

Not only are they cheaper, they are technically superior, IMO. The entry level Meanwell's do not have power factor correction (PFC). This means that they will draw quite a bit more current from your household circuit than almost all server supplies (which typically have PFC). When you're charging at close to 1000 watts, this can become very significant and the server supplies will have a far lower probability of popping breakers. The Meanwell may have you calling an electrician to install a dedicated 20A circuit. Electrician's aren't cheap. Additionally, if you plan on powering the supply from a generator, a PS with power factor correction will allow you to get by with a lower power generator, thus providing even greater savings.

If you're a savvy eBayer, you can get server supplies silly cheap (almost free). Plus, as Charles indicated, converting them for use in powering chargers is extremely easy and a fun project.

Mark
Oct 08, 2011, 08:31 PM
Seems to me many of the power supplies I see being converted here do not have PFC.
Oct 08, 2011, 08:33 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
Seems to me many of the power supplies I see being converted here do not have PFC.
I thought most were, mine are.

Aren't most good server PS made today, power factor corrected?
Oct 08, 2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Which ones?

I have never personally seen a server supply without PFC. I measured power factor on my 55A supplies at greater than .97.

Mark
Oct 08, 2011, 09:00 PM
I have the Meanwell 1000-24 hooked to a TP 820. Works well but Im not really pushing it hard. The one thing that bothers me though is the fan noise, man is it loud.
Wondering if there might be a way to disable it?
Oct 08, 2011, 09:16 PM
Disabling the fan may soon 'disable' the supply as it could very possibly burn up with zero airflow. Slowing the fan with a power resistor is an option but understand that it may affect long term reliability and would likely void any warranty.

Mark
Oct 08, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
+1 on server supplies.

Not only are they cheaper, they are technically superior, IMO. The entry level Meanwell's do not have power factor correction (PFC). This means that they will draw quite a bit more current from your household circuit than almost all server supplies (which typically have PFC). When you're charging at close to 1000 watts, this can become very significant and the server supplies will have a far lower probability of popping breakers. The Meanwell may have you calling an electrician to install a dedicated 20A circuit. Electrician's aren't cheap.
If you're a savvy eBayer, you can get server supplies silly cheap (almost free). Plus, as Charles indicated, converting them for use in powering chargers is extremely easy and a fun project.

Mark
Definitely don't want to call a electrician. Can't I just run an extension cord across the room to another outlet? I'm use to chargers with build in power supply, so this is all very new to me. I just know I need a power supply to power my 306B for parallel home charging. Which one. I don't know. Recommend me one.

Quote:
Don't know what that is, or have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin1205
I have the Meanwell 1000-24 hooked to a TP 820. Works well but Im not really pushing it hard. The one thing that bothers me though is the fan noise, man is it loud.
Wondering if there might be a way to disable it?
Are you having to plug up both power cord to one wall outlet? Any problems?

On another note, what about the MAXAMPS 24v. I believe it's around 1150 watts for a price of $160. Is this a good deal?

http://helidirect.com/maxamps-24v-po...ly-p-23281.hdx

The goal is to be able to parallel charge 4x 6s 5000mah.
Oct 08, 2011, 09:42 PM
The Maxamps are the same as the feathermerchant supplies (two 12V server supplies in series), as far as I can tell. For technical reasons stated earlier, I personally would choose either of these two options over the Meanwell, even if the price of the Meanwell was the same as the server supplies.

PFC means Power Factor Correction. Without getting into technical details, it simply means that a supply with PFC will draw lower current from your household circuit and becomes particularly important when charging at high power.

Since you'll be charging in excess of 750 watts, you'll need at least 850 watt power supply. The Meanwell would likely pull in excess of 15A from a typical 110 volt circuit when charging at full tilt (6S at 30A), leaving little to no headroom. A supply with PFC would pull less than 10A.

Mark
Oct 08, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
The Maxamps are the same as the feathermerchant supplies (two 12V server supplies in series), as far as I can tell. For technical reasons stated earlier, I personally would choose either of these two options over the Meanwell, even if the price of the Meanwell was the same as the server supplies.

PFC means Power Factor Correction. Without getting into technical details, it simply means that a supply with PFC will draw lower current from your household circuit and becomes particularly important when charging at high power.

Since you'll be charging in excess of 750 watts, you'll need at least 850 watt power supply. The Meanwell would likely pull in excess of 15A from a typical 110 volt circuit when charging at full tilt (6S at 30A), leaving little to no headroom. A supply with PFC would pull less than 10A.

Mark
Mark so basically your saying grab a feather merchant PSU instead and save money? Now if I go with the feather merchant PSU can I plug both power supply to the same wall outlet? Sorry these are newbie questions.
Oct 08, 2011, 10:02 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
After seeing how Maxamps flat out lies about some of there products I wouldn't buy anything from them.

Anyone ever seen there 150C LiPo?

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-3250-222-Pack.htm

Now someone tell me that isn't a crock of pop.
Oct 08, 2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouasupra
Mark so basically your saying grab a feather merchant PSU instead and save money? Now if I go with the feather merchant PSU can I plug both power supply to the same wall outlet? Sorry these are newbie questions.
Yes, I personally would choose two server supplies in series over the Meanwell, even if the price was a wash. If you're handy, you can save even more by procuring and converting them yourself. I have built several 24V/55A supplies for friends and it's really quite simple.

You can certainly plug both supplies into the same wall outlet or power strip. They will draw about the same amount of power as a microwave oven, space heater, or hair dryer. As such, be careful to not operate any other power hungry appliances on the same circuit at the same time that you are charging.

Mark
Oct 08, 2011, 10:58 PM
2is
2is
Personally, if you have the coin and won't cause any financial hardship, i'd go with the MeanWell, unless you like to tinker with things (like dual server PSU) though I would choose one with an Active PFC. You can tell if a power supply has APFC if it can accept both 110 and 220v inputs without the need for a switch or jumpers.

I have 4 power supplies, the last one I finally sprung for a MeanWell and I wish I had made that my 1st choice. My first power supply fried after a couple weeks, exchanged it for another but never bothered using the new one again. My second was a Much More racing 12v 24a power supply which was quite good, but I outgrew it before long. Then I got a random 24v 20a power supply from ebay. That thing would drop to 16v at 50% load and shut down at about 60-70% of its rated load. Once I pumped 220v into it, it worked as advertised.

The MeanWell I can run right up to its rated capacity, output voltage remains stable and it never falters. My unit has an APFC and it wasn't cheap (just north of $300) but it's a damn fine unit. My sole complaint is that it's kind of loud even at idle or low load situations and gets louder as the load increases.

Quick Reply