Sep 11, 2019, 03:46 AM

RSSI question

Hello nice people!

I'm new on dragonlink, I have the v3 slim version and a Nano RX on my 6" quad.

I have almost 80% RSSI at 1500m of distance but I have significant loss RSSI after 1500m Here a video, maybe someone of you could help me understanding something

RSSI (6 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 06:14 AM
Just another user
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtgree
Would you mind sharing?

Where did you get the info on how to do the upgrade? Was it by way of web interface upgrade?

Do your upgrades have any of the fetchers here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ough-Converter

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target0815
I asked Dennis … . Currently an update of the module is not yet end-user friendly, but Dennis is working on an update of the module via USB / DL-Config software.

Not at the moment. I oriented myself to this project because I have used it successfully so far. S.Port Passthrough is not so important for me, I need Mavlink.
We will not be able to keep up with the community on the ESP32 development - so we have been working on an USB-mode, that will allow the USB-interface to be used as a programmer for the ESP32. That way, it can be flashed from the official flash tools, from Arduino, or whatever you prefer. That will also make it possible to easily use opensource-projects for the ESP32.

Mike just did some testing on the firmware yesterday and everything looks good, so you should see it available fairly soon.

As far as the MavLink to FrSky project goes, that requires the ESP32 output to be connected to the UEXP-port (or the FrSky transmitter somehow). I've been working on a solution that will allow a pin from the ESP32 to be connected directly to the UEXP-port, but that will need a bit more testing and a small GUI-update.
Sep 11, 2019, 06:21 AM
Just another user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmetalname
Hello nice people!

I'm new on dragonlink, I have the v3 slim version and a Nano RX on my 6" quad.

I have almost 80% RSSI at 1500m of distance but I have significant loss RSSI after 1500m Here a video, maybe someone of you could help me understanding something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pOD...ature=youtu.be
Comparing the RSSI readout and video-quality, it looks like the freznel-zone is starting to cause problems. With that being said, your RSSI seems very low for that distance. I would suggest a range-check and also run the spectrum analyzer feature with the RX in the quad, to see if some of your electronic is noisy.
Sep 11, 2019, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie
With that being said, your RSSI seems very low for that distance. I would suggest a range-check and also run the spectrum analyzer feature with the RX in the quad, to see if some of your electronic is noisy.
Probably just needs a stretched dipole on the NanoRX. I had the same range problem with a NanoRX, Mike couldn't find any error and after re-soldering the antenna to stretched dipole the range is as it should be.
Sep 11, 2019, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your answers guys.

Ok first here the spectrum analizer

1= only Rx nano ON.
2 = Everything's ON

Now I really need your help to understand, that's Russian for me
Sep 11, 2019, 07:52 AM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimes1907
Are you disconnecting or is it failing and disconnecting. Even if you lose telemetry, it should not disconnect, it will just keep telling you how long it has been since no data has come through. Mission Planner will still have connection to the WIFI Module
As a "robustness test" I manually disconnected Mission Planner, then tried unsuccessfully to reconnect.
Sep 11, 2019, 07:58 AM
Just another user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmetalname
Thanks for your answers guys.

Ok first here the spectrum analizer

1= only Rx nano ON.
2 = Everything's ON

Now I really need your help to understand, that's Russian for me
Well, that sure explains the drop in RSSI (poor range)
Ideally, the noisefloor shouldn't change with just the receiver on and with everything else on.

I would simply connect one thing at a time. Whenever the noise increases significantly, you've found a noisy component. It can pretty much be any of the devices used, FPV-camera, flight-controller, DC-DC converter or video-tx.

On a small quad it can be a compromise - you rarely need the full range of the system and can accept some degree of increased noisefloor. In your case it's around 15 dB, that's a serious range-impact (only 20% range or so).
Sep 11, 2019, 09:41 AM
Well.. most of the noise is coming from my Esc or my xrotor F4 G2

I don't know what to do in that case!

Red Line is with power ON
Sep 11, 2019, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie
We will not be able to keep up with the community on the ESP32 development - so we have been working on an USB-mode, that will allow the USB-interface to be used as a programmer for the ESP32. That way, it can be flashed from the official flash tools, from Arduino, or whatever you prefer. That will also make it possible to easily use opensource-projects for the ESP32.

Mike just did some testing on the firmware yesterday and everything looks good, so you should see it available fairly soon.

As far as the MavLink to FrSky project goes, that requires the ESP32 output to be connected to the UEXP-port (or the FrSky transmitter somehow). I've been working on a solution that will allow a pin from the ESP32 to be connected directly to the UEXP-port, but that will need a bit more testing and a small GUI-update.

This is great. While you are doing this, for those of us with legacy systems, can you please allow us to have Radio Modem TX only on the expansion port and ‘Full Duplex’ (rx and tx) Radio modem on the internal Bluetooth.

Also, a nice option would be to have the option to disable the Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth in my Horus, an external one, and the DL one. I really would like the option to disable the DL if I am not using it.
Sep 11, 2019, 11:26 AM
Build more, websurf less
My DL WiFi module connection to Mission Planner continued to be unstable, so I decided to reload the PC. Reloaded Windows with all settings defaulted.

When I installed Mission Planner, it asked if it could go through the firewall and I answered yes.

I can get the WiFi module to connect to the PC, but I cannot achieve a stable connection to Mission Planner, and have not been able to get the parameters downloaded at all.

If it took you 5 minutes, then you must have been using the default Windows settings. If that is true, then why doesn't this work?

Could it be that my DL WiFi Module has a hardware fault?
Sep 11, 2019, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
My DL WiFi module connection to Mission Planner continued to be unstable, so I decided to reload the PC. Reloaded Windows with all settings defaulted.

When I installed Mission Planner, it asked if it could go through the firewall and I answered yes.

I can get the WiFi module to connect to the PC, but I cannot achieve a stable connection to Mission Planner, and have not been able to get the parameters downloaded at all.

If it took you 5 minutes, then you must have been using the default Windows settings. If that is true, then why doesn't this work?

Try turning off your WIFI router. If that doesn’t work,

My offer still stands.
Last edited by mgrimes1907; Sep 11, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
Sep 11, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW

Hi FlyingW,

Since you are in the USA, I will send you a new module today to try. Can you PM me your full information , and it should arrive to you by the weekend.

Mike
Sep 11, 2019, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

My offer still stands.
Offer ??? Where you going to go up to New Jersey and help him

Mike
Sep 11, 2019, 01:05 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:

My offer still stands.
That was a really good idea. I turned off my home wifi router and got several good Mission Planner connects and parameter downloads in a row.

I began to get excited feeling maybe this was the end of this ordeal.

However on another try it would not connect. Then I tried a cold start and it connected but could not download the parameters. So no dice.

Out of desperation I turned off the firewall again but it was still unreliable.

Poop.
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 11, 2019 at 01:15 PM.
Sep 11, 2019, 01:16 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Hi FlyingW,

Since you are in the USA, I will send you a new module today to try. Can you PM me your full information , and it should arrive to you by the weekend.

Mike
Brilliant, thank you Mike. Paul

Quick Reply