This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 07, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

sweep back-or forward

with the snowfox and snowgoose i was trying to see what difference sweep forward or back makes. after evaluation i learned that even if both fly satisfactorily, the goose with sweep back is more stable and predictable. there is a marked difference. it is not only that the fox with sweep forward is more maneurable, it is less stable. nothing comes from nothing.
more maneurability=less stability
there is an interesting article on the issue here:
http://www.rubber-power.com/Articles/ftaf3.pdf
the author mentions that every 10 degrees of sweepback make the same effect as 1 degree of dihedral. he said: "In fact a common rule of thumb in airplane design is that 10 degrees of sweep has about the same stabilizing effect in roll as one degree of dihedral". so the sweep forward acts like negative dihedral. also, with the Mk II versions of both models, at the beginning i did not glue the wing fillets and flew them, and added them later. the effect was that both became more stable with them. i guess that these fillets have same effect as sweepback-or added dihedral.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply