Mar 23, 2012, 03:50 AM
Most people are stupid!
manual.... what manual? Mine had nothing of the sort in the box. Lol
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Head NEAT geek

Maiden flight

Hi Guys

What a great day here on a tropical island off the coast of the US! Low winds, warm sun.

I took the DF P-51D out for it's maiden flight. It did not disappoint.

Holding some right rudder from the first tire revolution produced a straight and true roll out. She was off the ground too soon for scale even though I never left 1/2 thottle stick.

The climbout was spritely yet still not at WOT. I tucked the gear immendiately and found no change in pitch. I did need a few click of right aileron but upon landing it did not show up as a bias in the controls.

The CG (as per manual) seemed a good place, no hunting in the pitch axis.

After doing some mild aerobatics I opened to WOT and headed to the deck. It was not much faster! It is fast enough for my liking, but I can see where you speed freaks want to go to 4s.

I shot a high approach with no flaps, half flaps and full flaps. Dropping the landing gear produces more nose down moment than the flaps do. I was very impressed.

Now up to some safe distance for some power on and off stalls.

Power off, it will break in either direction but it does not develop into a spin unless provoked. recovery is quick with speed build-up and some added power.

Power on stalls (<.5 throttle) always break to the left (from P-effect) but again, with relaxing of the elevator and some speed gain, recovery is quick.

Inverted flight requires between 1/8-1/4 forward stick to trim, not unusual for this type of model with a healthy static margin (stabile CG position) and a cambered airfoil.

I flew for 5 minutes and it took 1100 from my TP 3S-2750 45C battery. I sure can add another minute to the timer for the next flight.

The second flight expanded the envelop a bit and I did some spins, and climbing snaps as well as some very tight loops. The model never made me worry about stalling or being overcontrolled. Very nice model.

I did a few touch and go's with no-flaps, half flaps, and full flaps (about 45deg) and I saw no reason to use half flaps any more all the way down. I do reccommend that you retract the flaps soon after touchdown as it has more of tendancy to nose over with the flaps deployed than without.

I busted my prop on the last landing trying to taxi without retracting them.

I brought my "dice" 720P camera with me but the battery died less than 30 seconds into the flight. I guess I was playing too much with it at home.

I did get some flight shots with my D70 with my good friend Bob Erbe behind it. Hid did a very good job after a few lessons!

Enjoy
Tom
Mar 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
HellBentPuppet
Nice Pics! and congrats on the maiden!

I just ripped around for a pack in the p-51, it is a very nice flyer.

I can't wait to see what Durafly has in store for the future.
Mar 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thanks Pullup.

I fixed my prop this afternoon and tested it, so I am good to go. Unfortunately will NOT tell you how I did it as I don't want the liability!

let's just say it won't break in the same place again! and I have to move my battery aft a bit!
Mar 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
How does everybody take such great photos. Especially of maiden flights. Every time I try the camera or the person who was suppose to help doesn't work.:mad I'm jealous.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Mar 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
How does everybody take such great photos. Especially of maiden flights. Every time I try the camera or the person who was suppose to help doesn't work.:mad I'm jealous.
hey!... quitcherbitchen

I'll make it worse... there were only two guys at the field... me and Bob, and he had never used a SLR before!
Mar 23, 2012, 06:04 PM
Doah!!!!
Mar 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
High praise indeed, from Mr. T Hunt. I need to invest in this series, would rather get a Spit or a Typhoon or maybe even a Tempest, to go with my WR Hurricane. This size will fit the back of my small Nissan pickup, making transport very easy. My buddy has a shelf system for his large truck that we are going to reduce to fit in my truck - should get 3 or 4 planes in like this.
Mar 24, 2012, 05:55 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thanks Jim

under close inspection last night before going out again today, I found the plastic landing gear mounts for the e-tracts were loose in the wing, nothing a little glue could not fix.

off to the field!

Tom
Mar 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Head NEAT geek
Got some video from my Dice camera mounted under my baseball hat visor today of the third flight.

enjoy:
Durafly P-51D 1100mm by scalepolice (5 min 57 sec)

Tom
Mar 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
David

Maiden flight

Well, I finally got the courage up to try the local cricket oval and risk being eaten by trees. It was a blast, easy take off with little drift and surprisingly steady in the air. I had an 11x10 propellor to avoid breaking the currently irreplaceable stock prop, and it went well. I left the gear down, not being used to retracts (or flaps) and did circuits for a few minutes well above the trees. I didn,t notice much effect with the flaps so I came into the wind to land, dropped the flaps again and then had problems as I was too high with little room to land, so I did a quick circle, tried to line up and promptly spiraled in from about 20 feet. The fuel tanks popped off and I was surprised to find the retracts up as we're the flaps. Yes, I was flipping the wrong switch, the gear instead of flaps.

Not much damage except to my pride but I do have a bent prop shaft. Another lesson learned. Can anyone tell me how a) to remove the shaft and b) what to replace it with?

I have trawled the forums and HK but cannot find the motor spec nor what I can replace the shaft with. It looks like torx screws holding it on so that should be easy, but are replacements standard? Advice gratefully received.
Mar 25, 2012, 10:54 PM
you should look for an FMS shaft like this http://www.hobby-paradise.com/en/pro...ct_detail.html
Mar 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
David
Thanks, they seem good, confirmed by comments from the F4U thread. Have ordered a couple from pw rc, if the planets align I can be back in the air at the weekend......
Mar 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Barrel Roll Joe
have stock props ever been in stock???? will they ever be?
Mar 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
Never

Quick Reply