This thread is privately moderated by cgsoldier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 07, 2011, 03:09 AM
Death, Taxes... and Crashing
Thread OP
Discussion

T-Rex 250 FBL vs. FB

After reading many reviews, a lot of research... I ended up with a BeastX Microbeast and a Microheli FBL head. The price between the 3GX and Microbeast is almost the same but with all the good things I have heard about the new V3 software on the Microbeast from some really credible sources and the local pros, I decided to go with it first. All the hype is about the VBar these days but I am not about to throw down that kind of cheddar on a 250 heli... the Vbar costs almost the same as the whole Heli and that is just crazy.

I now have two 250's... A FB with an Align GP780 and a Microbeast FBL... I just set it up last night and flew them head to head this morning. Too soon to tell as I am still tweaking both Heli's... still trying to dial in both the tails as there is still some wag and/or spongeyness depending on the gains on both but I am getting close. I can already tell though that for just simple hover and forward flight, the Microbeast feels like it is flying on rails.

I have not done any 3D yet, but I will post more as the flight tests continue.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
Death, Taxes... and Crashing
Thread OP
After almost two days of tweaking, I am still not too happy with the tail on the FB 250 with a GP780 and DS420 Servo, even with a 15t pinion. It holds great for forward flight but a little loose on 3D Maneuvers. I have tried every mechanical fix and gain setting I could. I got guys I fly with that swear by the Futaba gy520 and Futaba Servo combo, but I have decided FBL is my thing since I learned on an MCPX. Yeah I know the pros at my LHS will talk smack about me not learning collective management, but whatever.

The Microbeast so far is awesome on the 250... the 250 is a squirrelly little bugger to begin with but with the FBL system it is solid as a rock. The initial setup was easy as pie but it took me a while at the field to dial in the gain to compensate for the higher torque using a 16T pinion and the DS420 servo. Cyclic was on the button out of the box though and the V3 upgrade was essential for the tail holding capabilities. Still tweaking though... as it wags a bit when you punch the throttle.
Last edited by cgsoldier; Oct 10, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply