Oct 07, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thread OP

120% Shumate Su-37 EDF with Vectored Thrust Build

With Steve's permission I am posting the plans of my modified version of his Su-37. This Su-37 is scaled up to 120% to accommodate 2x64mmEDFs. The nacelles have been shortened by 72mm to accommodate the Hobby Lobby 64mm TV nozzles. The elevators are modified to not go through the nacelles. The rudder and rudder supports have cut-outs for servos.

I have to apologize in advance for the number of pages. You see these plans were originally created for my CNC foam cutter (Phlatprinter MKIII) that I simply converted to PDF. For those asking, I've also included the tiled version of the plans.

Thanks,
Vic
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2011, 05:41 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
Very impressive build - nice job!!
Oct 09, 2011, 05:02 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Gotta love the Yellow 13 paintjob.
Oct 09, 2011, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo View Post
Gotta love the Yellow 13 paintjob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
Very impressive build - nice job!!
Thanks for the kind words. I love this jet and love it's performance with the thrust vectoring. I'm changing the missiles and adding some more ordinance. I know it will add more weight and drag but it looks so cool.

Vic
Oct 10, 2011, 03:06 AM
Pointy end at the front.
The thing that sucks for me is, I converted mine from a Su-34 to something similar and then stacked it. Its being reborn and it looks like you beat me to the yellow 13 paintjob you.. you .. you... lol
Oct 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
Thread OP

Su-27 EDF conversion (Jetset44 Su-34 variant)

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share this build as well. I decided to make the Su-27 variant using Steve's design, only this time...you guessed it, I'm converting it to twin EDFs. Here are the specs

wingspan: 30"
edf: 2x 55mm EDFs (static thrust 32oz)
motor: 2x 4300KV
ESC: 2x 30Amp
Battery: 3S 2200-2600 mAh 30C
Servos: 2-elevon mix, 1-rudder
AUW - 28.5 oz
Wing loading - 17oz/sq ft

I will not be implementing at thrust vectoring system on this plane. I want to save as much weight as possible and keep the wing loading as low as possible.

Regards,
Vic
Last edited by vicentel; Oct 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Oct 10, 2011, 12:54 PM
Vic, you must be able to build this in your sleep! Looks great as usual. Do you leave access for the EDFs or do you glue the nacells shut? I have left a loose panel which I tape in place.
I am pondering what to do with the su37 before I paint it. It flies great, maneuvers well with the TV nozzles, the 70mms have revitalized it. But the weight has driven the wing loading up so high that any loss of airspeed results in it dropping like a rock. Maybe its time for a kf2 for added lift. After the 70MM I'm at 65oz. I will try this first, the next step is props. I myself like slow flying and high alpha. I cannot get there from here unless I get a lower weight or more lift from a bigger wing.
Oct 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
Vic, you must be able to build this in your sleep! Looks great as usual. Do you leave access for the EDFs or do you glue the nacells shut? I have left a loose panel which I tape in place.
I am pondering what to do with the su37 before I paint it. It flies great, maneuvers well with the TV nozzles, the 70mms have revitalized it. But the weight has driven the wing loading up so high that any loss of airspeed results in it dropping like a rock. Maybe its time for a kf2 for added lift. After the 70MM I'm at 65oz. I will try this first, the next step is props. I myself like slow flying and high alpha. I cannot get there from here unless I get a lower weight or more lift from a bigger wing.
Hey F1,
My secret is I have a CNC foam cutter that I use to cut out all my foam parts. I create the parts in CAD then generate the code for the printer, print and I'm done. Anyway, from all my previous work I kinda knew going into this build that wing loading would be a problem. This is why I use a smaller battery (3300mAh vs 4000 or 4400mAh) and a KF2 airfoil. Also, with respect to landing the plane; you're correct you need to carry some speed coming in for a landing but if you have a KF2 and spoilers that should allow you to slow down significantly without stalling.
Regards,
Vic
Oct 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
Vic,

Where do you get the clear tubes you place on the end of the EDF??
Oct 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrycorcoran View Post
Vic,
Where do you get the clear tubes you place on the end of the EDF??
Hey Kerry,

The clear tubes I make out of transparency film for overhead projectors. You can get that at any office supply store (i.e. Staples, Office Depot). I have a program that I use that generates the tube shape, cut out the tube, and join both sides with clear 3M packing tape. Easy-peasy.

Vic
Oct 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentel View Post
Hey Kerry,

The clear tubes I make out of transparency film for overhead projectors. You can get that at any office supply store (i.e. Staples, Office Depot). I have a program that I use that generates the tube shape, cut out the tube, and join both sides with clear 3M packing tape. Easy-peasy.

Vic
Vic,

Would you happen to have a part number of the transparency? ANd where specifically you purchased from?

Learning a lot from your posts.
Oct 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrycorcoran View Post
Vic,

Would you happen to have a part number of the transparency? ANd where specifically you purchased from?

Learning a lot from your posts.
Here's a link to some film from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CXA98QJTFPP6CC

Vic
Oct 11, 2011, 04:39 AM
Pointy end at the front.
If you dont mind me asking, what program are you using? I am looking at getting a cnc foam cutter and im lost at the 'code for the printer, print then done' stuff... what the ........ could that possibly mean and what am i getting myself into!

Your builds look nice. The first plane i want to make when i finally get my cutter is a foxbat
Oct 11, 2011, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo View Post
If you dont mind me asking, what program are you using? I am looking at getting a cnc foam cutter and im lost at the 'code for the printer, print then done' stuff... what the ........ could that possibly mean and what am i getting myself into!

Your builds look nice. The first plane i want to make when i finally get my cutter is a foxbat
Thanks for you kind words. The CNC foam cutter I use is called the Phlatprinter MKIII, you can go to www.Phlatboyz.com to see it. The controller it uses is the CNC USB Motion Controller. There is also a community of hobbyists like us that use it for their foamy planes...among other things. You can see the forum at www.phlatforum.com. Make no mistake there is a learning curve in making parts. First you need to familiarize yourself with Sketchup because all the printer code is generated from that. Things like outside-cut, inside-cut, tabs, folds etc. are among other things you will learn. Check out the site, doing CNC foam cutting isn't hard to learn but there is a lot to it.

Regards,
Vic
Oct 11, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thread OP

100% Shumate Su-27 twin 55mm EDF Conversion

Hi,

I've managed to get it all painted, panel lined, insignia'd, weathered and clear coated <whew>. Anyway since this will be my "beater" plane I wasn't as anal with this one as with my bigger Su-37. The plane itself is not a replica of any plane. I just liked the scheme of Yellow 13: grey with yellow highlights. So I decided to make this one blue with orange highlights. I'm calling it Orange 98. Hope you guys like it

Thanks again Steve for an awesome design,
Vic

Design so nice I built it twice.

Quick Reply