I have been working on the rudder pin thingy, what ever it is called.
The Z-boats had a very special pinne, it is shaped like a heart.
First I cut one from Ply, but that one looked kinde cheap.
So it had to be out of real wood. So first I cut a form out of ply which I used to shape the wood.
Than I had to find the wood that I could bend, I tried Aspen and Redwood, no good.
I had some Juniper strips, so I tried juniper. That one was fantastic. It just needs to be soaked in water and it is like rubber. It still stays hard, so it does not compress, dent or twist or what ever if it gets clamped.
That is a wood to be remembered when it comes to making bents.
I used 2 3x5 mm planks on each side. Soaked them and put them in the form overnight.
Next day I did the fine tuning with steam. The conecting parts are Juniper, too.
Than I glued the planks together and clamped them into the forms.
I had the forms of a copy of the plans and than glued all the other parts in.
Let it dry and than carrefully got everything out of the form.
Rough sanded and than started with the detailing.
80% done on this one.
I like it.
Jup, She is Schrotti and the pic was taken ende of April.
Robert, that is realy confusing, can we agree it is a tiller
Pinne would do, too.
The boat caught my eye, because of its design. There is a purpose, but beauty was never neglected and that was what drew me in.
On the tiller just the metal work is left, stainless.
After sanding I put one coat of West on the tiller, for protection.
Finally I am able to get time to do some stuff on my boats.
The busines is just to darn busy and ruins my live with the boats.
There are still some unsolved problems. One is the cokpit, it needs a lid.
Without lid she would be just a extremly light wind boat, not much fun.
Juniper is a wood one can bent like rubber if it is wet. I cut several 5x5mm and than soaked them and bent them along the shape of the cokpit. I than glued those to the bottom of the cokpit wall.
Than I cut a piece of plexiglass, so it fit into the opening.
Than put 1/4 inch window sealingstrip on both.
The box for the sword needed still a cover to finish the top. In it I glued a wood screw ( ? how do you call those suckers always forget ), glued it on to the top of the box and than drilled a whole in the plexi for a stainless scew.
Next major problem was the mast. I probably have one built, but that would be boring.
The mast of the original is hollow, the lines run inside the mast.
That is what I like to built. I can not drill a 5 feet mast.
From Aircraft Spruce I got me a bord of Spruce, which I than cut into strips, 1.1 cm x 5 mm 1600mm long.
2 strips were 7mm wide.
First I let the wood settel, mostly after cutting such long strips out of a bord, the natural tension in the wood get released and they start to bent.
That is perfectly ok, even wanted. If one glues those strip together, using opposit bents, the tips join but in the middle is the gap, one gets a strip or plank that will not bent again and anvery stout piece of wood.
First I glued 2 1.1 together so I had a 2.2 wide strip. West Epoxy.
On that piece I glued the 2 - 7mm so they left a gap in the middle, around 7mm wide
Next, again two 1.1 glued together and than glued ontop of the 7mm.
I did that 2 more times, bottom and top.
That took close to a week, because I let the epoxy cure for 12 hours before starting with the next step.
Now I had a roughly 2.2 cm x 2.5 and 160 cm long square broomhandle.
How to get that beast round with a 2 cm diameter.
I went through the design of a lathe, but that was just to complicated.
So I put it all on the back burner.
Last Monday I was till 24:00 in the company and when I left I had the problem to stay awake driving, I was bushed.
So I got that gray matter going to stay awake and thought about how I could get this thing round..
It worked, I stayed awake and solved the problem.
It is actually very simple, the couplings of a 3/4 inch PVC waterpipe are roughly 2 cm inside diameter, split one length wise and than stick some sanding paper from my disk sander into each half, it will make a perfect round sander.
I noked the corners of the square broomstick with a horse shoers rasp of till the halfs fit over them.
Stuck the halfs on and taped them together, there was about 1/4 inch of a gap on each side. Than I started to sand the stick.
At first it was difficult because the sander got into a bind but the more I had taken of the easier it got.
Today was a beautifull day, 25 in the shade, 45 in the sun, so I got the lawn chair out and sat in the sun and sanded, after 3 beers I had a perfectly round broomstick, with a 2 cm diameter.
So simple and sitting in the sun, the dogs having fun terrorising each other and just sanding away, having a beer was just so relaxing.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Rant||e-z bee vs. e-z bee II||bcd11||Fuel Plane Talk||3||Oct 06, 2016 06:01 PM|
|Question||Aero Craft Snapper Mk II||navysix||Parkflyers||2||Apr 22, 2011 09:23 PM|
|Discussion||1936 Flying Aces Stick||RandyW||Vintage & Old-Timer Designs||6||Apr 12, 2011 10:26 PM|
|Wanted||Aero Ace, Palm Z or similar product + Picco Z spares||Hal_The_Hacker||Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W)||2||Jul 30, 2008 08:27 AM|
|Discussion||Aero Feather, Aero Feather II...||Rusty-Gunn||Foamies (Scratchbuilt)||16||Mar 27, 2008 12:54 AM|