Dec 14, 2019, 06:06 PM
Soar high, huck low
The ProXy flies! 400 grams RTF with a big 3S1500. I can get it to 345grams with a 3S800. A quick taxi test in the driveway turned into a surprise maiden in the yard! It’s a blast and really grooves in the air. A super cool plane design and an interesting change of pace from the Twisted 3D planes we all love. Charging up my googles and ground station for some FPV fun tomorrow.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 06:09 PM
She looks great, looking forward in hearing your flight report!
Dec 14, 2019, 07:17 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
So stoked to hear this can be flown in your backyard!
Dec 14, 2019, 07:22 PM
Soar high, huck low
Should I start building the Clik?
Dec 15, 2019, 10:45 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
The ProXy flies! 400 grams RTF with a big 3S1500. I can get it to 345grams with a 3S800. A quick taxi test in the driveway turned into a surprise maiden in the yard! Itís a blast and really grooves in the air. A super cool plane design and an interesting change of pace from the Twisted 3D planes we all love. Charging up my googles and ground station for some FPV fun tomorrow.
I can't wait for these to hit the UK!
Dec 15, 2019, 10:53 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Do IT!
Dec 15, 2019, 10:54 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Do it! Do it! Do it! (0 min 6 sec)
Dec 17, 2019, 07:32 PM
Team Twisted!
Quote:
You got the Clik done yet? We need a flight report! Santa coming soon too!
Dec 17, 2019, 08:54 PM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton3dflying
You got the Clik done yet? We need a flight report! Santa coming soon too!
Havenít started. I think I might wanna try my hand at milling it and going uberlight. Open to suggestions on best practices if you have suggestions.

I found this...

http://3dpastor.blogspot.com/2010/02...e-wit.html?m=1

-or I can just go stock and shorten wires etc.

I built the ProXy on Friday night/Saturday AM. Took about 6 hours total from start to finish. My bench always starts off clean and organized, but always ends up like I knocked over the tool box I did get the ProXy out on Sunday and put 6 pack through it. A mega fun change of pace. I was never really into FPV, but the Proxy has changed my mind. Way more fun than a ďdroneĒ.

...and thatís why the Clik is still in the box.
Dec 17, 2019, 09:11 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I would start with a motor that's probably too small and try to make it work. And maybe a smallish lightened battery from Babblebats . And a pinless nano receiver. Stupid light servos, directly wired to the pinless rx. Multirotor esc and if you can't get one with a bec, fit a buck chip. Are pull-pull linkages lighter than carbon rods?

I'd bet someone has already worked this stuff out and you need to sniff that out for a starting point. I wouldn't do a bit of milling without first calculating how much weight you're going to lose. Foam weighs practically nothing. And then you need covering and adhesives? And now maybe you've lost structural rigidity and have to start gluing in extra carbon? Naw, get the low hanging fruit first.
Dec 17, 2019, 09:37 PM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I would start with a motor that's probably too small and try to make it work. And maybe a smallish lightened battery from Babblebats . And a pinless nano receiver. Stupid light servos, directly wired to the pinless rx. Multirotor esc and if you can't get one with a bec, fit a buck chip. Are pull-pull linkages lighter than carbon rods?

I'd bet someone has already worked this stuff out and you need to sniff that out for a starting point. I wouldn't do a bit of milling without first calculating how much weight you're going to lose. Foam weighs practically nothing. And then you need covering and adhesives? And now maybe you've lost structural rigidity and have to start gluing in extra carbon? Naw, get the low hanging fruit first.
Agreed and lots of good advice. Iíve scratch built all carbon DIscus Launch Gliders in the past and try to keep all my planes as light possible. I think milling will save ďsome weightĒ (TBD) and given the carbon trussing and slow/gentle nature of a Clik, I donít think Iíll give up too much stiffness. I donít plan to add any film or extra reinforcing. Maybe on #2

But for this build Iíll keep it mostly stock. I went with the Twisted Indoor combo. It will drop right in and perform without a doubt. Iíll be careful with glue, shorten wires, direct solder, etc, Another hang up on starting, I usually obsessively read the build instructions and photos before I start. Iíll get cracking tonight.
Dec 18, 2019, 06:53 AM
Team Twisted!
But for this build Iíll keep it mostly stock. I went with the Twisted Indoor combo. It will drop right in and perform without a doubt. Iíll be careful with glue, shorten wires, direct solder, etc, Another hang up on starting, I usually obsessively read the build instructions and photos before I start. Iíll get cracking tonight.[/QUOTE]

I think you have the right idea. Looking forward to your report.
Dec 18, 2019, 12:41 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
What Rx is everyone using?

I have both Futaba and Spektrum, but almost always fly Futaba... I will likely be using the r6004ff again. It is 3.8g and can be made a little lighter if removed from the case.
Dec 18, 2019, 06:40 PM
Outlaw
Quote:
The ProXy flies! 400 grams RTF with a big 3S1500. I can get it to 345grams with a 3S800. A quick taxi test in the driveway turned into a surprise maiden in the yard! It’s a blast and really grooves in the air. A super cool plane design and an interesting change of pace from the Twisted 3D planes we all love. Charging up my googles and ground station for some FPV fun tomorrow.
Are you the guy who walks around with goggles on and FPV cam on his hat?
fess up
Dec 18, 2019, 08:04 PM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8
Are you the guy who walks around with goggles on and FPV cam on his hat?
fess up
Thatís you man!

Quick Reply