Oct 04, 2011, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Joysway Caribbean 1:46 puddle class RTS

Hi, I stumbled upon this midget yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyvDtl8SZOU

sailandfly caribbean (2 min 45 sec)

Apart from a short (rather positive) UK forum thread, I haven't been able to find any more info.

The only RC sailboat experience I have is a 1/2m scratch build I did in school, haven't touched it since, but I was just about pulling the trigger on a Micro Magic or a HK Disco 500, when I saw the Caribbean. It's distributed by Ripmax in Europe, for around 55/ 70, this should translate to around $75, and a lot less bought directly form China. Seems like it's a fairly new design, I didn't find any US hits, but it could be sold under a different name. Price and size suggests a toy, but looking at the YT vids, I'm inclined to call it semi-hobby grade. Of course, it's not a replacement for a 1m for even a 1/2m class, but this buddy could be an important stepping stone for the masses to RC-sailing, just like the Kyosho Overland was for small off-road RC cars, and the Hobbyoze Champ was for RC-planes. Let's face it, solo RC-sailing isn't exactly the most adrenalin pumped branch of the RC-world. Match racing is a different matter Having an inexpensive RTS boat class that can race in a pool, fountain, or a large puddle, could generate a lot of interest for all classes. The concept is great IMO, but the question is, did they pull it off? The vids look promising, but please add any info about it you might have.

Ps. If there already is a thread about this boat, then please let me know and I'll close this thread.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2012, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
An update...

In November, I bought one on sale, I paid around 35 (incl. VAT).

The boat itself looks OK... But the electronics is the worst POS I have EVER come around The rudder servo took around 2(!) seconds to settle, every time a moved the stick, it would widely overshoot and try to correct itself. Essentially, it would be be difficult to sail it up against the wind... The boom servo was somewhat better (around 1 sec to settle), but still unacceptable, considering a HXT900 costs less than 3 dollars... The servos are soldered and silicon sealed to the board, btw. they of the ancient 5 lead type, suppose Joysway snarfed a 10 year old surplus inventory... I went back to the store, and swapped it, needless to say, the other copy wasn't much better either, still unacceptably [email protected] electronics.

OTOH, at 35, considering it simply as a PnP boat, it doesn't look that bad, even though I haven't actually tried it yet... There was one day I took it to the lake, but the wind decided to go on a strike that day Guess the maiden (with new electronics) will have to wait for spring.
Apr 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Got one yesterday and am very pleased with it.
Very nice details/design and quality.
Servo's work fast, precise and without errors -so far.

In gusts it has a windward tendency (what is the right word?), maybe the jib is a bit too small?
Apr 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Th
Got one yesterday and am very pleased with it.
Very nice details/design and quality.
Servo's work fast, precise and without errors -so far.

In gusts it has a windward tendency (what is the right word?), maybe the jib is a bit too small?
There's a 2.4GHz version available now, did you get this new version or the old 27MHz one? In the latter case, does your boat also have 5-wire servos?

Btw. I gutted mine last week, will do a 12 buck 'upgrade' (servos/ RX) and see what it can do. Looks like the HXT900 is a PnP replacement.
Apr 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
Vampyre Inc
looks like a nice pocket boat, would like to hear more about the upgraded 2.4Ghz version
Apr 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
Vampyre Inc
Bump...
Looking for any info on getting a few 2.4Ghz version of these shipped to me?

anyone with info? model# 8802
Last edited by HoverDown3K; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
May 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Their website seems to be the only place with references. But don't be surprised if the price is 20-25% more than the AM version, when/ if these become available some day.

If you are looking for a promising RTS boat - in stock - check out the Westward 18 from HH. Yes, it's significantly larger (460mm) - so is the price - price, but you're most likely getting a decent boat with quality components and support.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at-rtr-PRB3350
May 21, 2012, 08:45 AM
Vampyre Inc
^ Thanks for the info, I see the westward and it looks great, but I am really looking for a micro size boat.

Still looking for a Joysway 1:46 scale
any website selling the latest 2.4 ghz version yet?
May 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Maidened my 'ARTS' with HK servos + Kyosho pistol TX / RX salvaged from a RTR car. This was the first time it encountered actual wind.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed, but not surprised. When there was a slight gust of wind, it leaned over, or turned - almost snapped - into the wind. Under perfect circumstanced - that would be no waves and a constant light breeze - it does OK. Surprisingly, it didn't take in water despite a few occasions where it leaned over so much, that I was getting worried for the electronics. Suppose a bit of modding and silicone could make it adequately sealed.

Basically, this is a back yard pool toy. It doesn't mean that one cannot have lots of fun with it, but this is not a "Nano Magic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverDown3K
^ Thanks for the info, I see the westward and it looks great, but I am really looking for a micro size boat.

Still looking for a Joysway 1:46 scale
any website selling the latest 2.4 ghz version yet?
If you need a micro for storage/ transport, have a look at the this chap unboxing the Westward. The keel and the rudder are only held by two screws, undoing these will enable you to pack it back into the box - as long as you don't rip it apart like the dude.

proboat westward (7 min 4 sec)
May 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
Vampyre Inc
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron
Maidened my 'ARTS' with HK servos + Kyosho pistol TX / RX salvaged from a RTR car. This was the first time it encountered actual wind.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed, but not surprised. When there was a slight gust of wind, it leaned over, or turned - almost snapped - into the wind. Under perfect circumstanced - that would be no waves and a constant light breeze - it does OK. Surprisingly, it didn't take in water despite a few occasions where it leaned over so much, that I was getting worried for the electronics. Suppose a bit of modding and silicone could make it adequately sealed.

Basically, this is a back yard pool toy. It doesn't mean that one cannot have lots of fun with it, but this is not a "Nano Magic".

If you need a micro for storage/ transport, have a look at the this chap unboxing the Westward. The keel and the rudder are only held by two screws, undoing these will enable you to pack it back into the box - as long as you don't rip it apart like the dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFYXuq0ECo
Thanks for that review and tip..
I have decided to skip the Joysway and I got two Proboat Westwards !!! I think I made a better choice...
Aug 31, 2012, 06:41 AM
In fairness guys, the Westwind, at 3 times the cost of the Joysway, is a different class boat.

I picked one up today after talking to the LHS owner. He told me that he brought them just to see how they would do and in a short time has sold 8... Sounds like class racing could happen in this area. It helps that we have a shallow pond/fountain in a park across the road from the hobby store. It also didn't hurt that he had a "$20 off if a $50 purchase" sale going on, so I got mine for $39US.

I am mostly a RC pilot, but built a Victor 32 ( http://www.victor-model.com/products/v-32k ) a few years back and have had fun with it. I was looking for something "less involved" to drag along with me when I'm on the road and this little boat looks like it might work for me. I also wanted something that wouldn't kill me to loose, and in my case, a $59 boat falls in that category.

Yes it is a cheap little boat, but I think it has the potential to give a decent return in fun/dollar. Planning on getting it wet later today and will report on how it does.
Aug 31, 2012, 11:15 AM
Looked it over and found a few things worth noting:

Some have mentioned the poor quality radio that came with earlier visions, things seem to have improved. The 2.4 that came with my little yacht is rock solid. I haven't range tested it yet, but it binds with the RX very fast (see noted problem below) and the servos are steady and smooth.

The new system has 3 wire servos and a smallish RX that is encased in heatshrink with the ends sealed with what looks like hot glue. Low rates would be nice, but I think it will be fine as is.

The only problem I had with the radio was the loose nut holding the sticks.: The manual doesn't mention it, but the left stick has to be moved to full down position before the controls will work (see TX picture).

The only other problem I noticed was with the radio cover hold down screw. As the picture shows, there is a gap between the cover and the hull. Without a spacer, it might be possible (with a ham-fisted guy like me) to over tighten the screw and crack the plastic cover.

Other that that minor stuff, the boat actually looks pretty good and I can't wait to get it out on the water.
Aug 31, 2012, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware
In fairness guys, the Westwind, at 3 times the cost of the Joysway, is a different class boat.

I picked one up today after talking to the LHS owner. He told me that he brought them just to see how they would do and in a short time has sold 8... Sounds like class racing could happen in this area. It helps that we have a shallow pond/fountain in a park across the road from the hobby store. It also didn't hurt that he had a "$20 off if a $50 purchase" sale going on, so I got mine for $39US.

I am mostly a RC pilot, but built a Victor 32 ( http://www.victor-model.com/products/v-32k ) a few years back and have had fun with it. I was looking for something "less involved" to drag along with me when I'm on the road and this little boat looks like it might work for me. I also wanted something that wouldn't kill me to loose, and in my case, a $59 boat falls in that category.

Yes it is a cheap little boat, but I think it has the potential to give a decent return in fun/dollar. Planning on getting it wet later today and will report on how it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware
Looked it over and found a few things worth noting:

Some have mentioned the poor quality radio that came with earlier visions, things seem to have improved. The 2.4 that came with my little yacht is rock solid. I haven't range tested it yet, but it binds with the RX very fast (see noted problem below) and the servos are steady and smooth.

The new system has 3 wire servos and a smallish RX that is encased in heatshrink with the ends sealed with what looks like hot glue. Low rates would be nice, but I think it will be fine as is.

The only problem I had with the radio was the loose nut holding the sticks.: The manual doesn't mention it, but the left stick has to be moved to full down position before the controls will work (see TX picture).

The only other problem I noticed was with the radio cover hold down screw. As the picture shows, there is a gap between the cover and the hull. Without a spacer, it might be possible (with a ham-fisted guy like me) to over tighten the screw and crack the plastic cover.

Other that that minor stuff, the boat actually looks pretty good and I can't wait to get it out on the water.
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. My greatest gripe with the FM RTS is, it's not RTS. I've never ever seen or even heard about this poor electronics before, and swapping it for an almost as bad copy didn't help my opinion either. I made it work, with salvaged electronics, but for a noob this boat would have been a very bad experience, since the whole concept is to unwrap the the boat and go sailing with your friends.

I'm positive the GHz electronics are up to the task, there should be no issues with range. And for the price you paid for it, I would have bought a pair for some friendly match races.

Have fun and report back on the sailing please!
Sep 01, 2012, 12:05 AM
By the time I got to the lake, it was late afternoon and the wind was unstable and gusting from three different directions. I still tried a test sail which included: sailing in circles as the wind direction changed, sitting dead in the water, and at least three knock downs.

I wasn't having much fun, so as soon as I could see that the little boat could sail into the wind, I packed it in and headed home. To restate it, this is a TINY boat, but everything worked and as it can sail into the wind I'm happy. I just need to get it on the water in a steady wind (I feel guilty using that word in connection with this tinny boat) to have some fun with it.
Sep 01, 2012, 12:35 AM
Rahtware,
Did you try Spreckles lake today to sail your new little boat? You should join the club if you like RC sailing. Ryan

Quick Reply