Feb 04, 2013, 04:08 PM
Ok, went out to fly this weekend and a few guys at the feild said not to use the Go Pro... said it would mess up the Aerodynamics.. Hmm.. so no video.. But I did want to pose a question about a issue I am having..
As I am inverted and start my outside loop... the plane want to corkscrew out as it climbs into the radius of the loop.... P factor? warped wing or elevator? odd.. I flys straight and level upside right... loops fine when not inverted.. Thoughts.. Just Deal with it?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2013, 09:21 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Have you run it through any kind of trim chart? Lots of things can cause that. Our own hands, even! I'll send you a trim checklist- if you use it, I can promise a nicer flying airplane. As nice as this plane is (or any airframe I have owned)- each has benefitted from this methodical way to aerodynamically balance the aircraft. It is Peter Goldsmith's trim chart. I will send via PM.
Feb 05, 2013, 02:35 AM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d
Have you run it through any kind of trim chart? Lots of things can cause that. Our own hands, even! I'll send you a trim checklist- if you use it, I can promise a nicer flying airplane. As nice as this plane is (or any airframe I have owned)- each has benefitted from this methodical way to aerodynamically balance the aircraft. It is Peter Goldsmith's trim chart. I will send via PM.
That would be great to have thank you.
Again, I am new to the sport so it could be my fingers. But I don't do it on the simulator. My brother said to look at axial balance off the center line too.
Also I am only using the FG fins on the outside of the wings. Not inboard as of yet. Should I add these before I trim it out?
Feb 05, 2013, 06:30 AM
When you run the trim chart, you should have the aircraft configured the way you intend to fly it. Though the wing FG's likely won't affect much, they may have some affect. I would say run through this chart the way you currently are flying the plane. If you put the wing FG's on later and notice a change....rerun the trim chart. I usually get through the entire thing in about 3 battery packs, but the first few times it took about 10 batteries- I was very deliberate, step by step. I'm familiar with it enough now, I can step through it pretty quickly.
Feb 05, 2013, 06:33 AM

Trim Chart and Guide

It turns out I can't send an attachment via PM, so I have posted it here. I have used this system for the past year or so and have been very happy with it.

Enjoy!
Feb 05, 2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the information 3D... I will look it over and put it to practice. The weather is looking good again for the weekend.... Time to go thru the plane and charge some batteries!
Feb 05, 2013, 06:53 PM
Me too. Looking forward to Thursday. I should be able to fly then!
Mar 04, 2013, 07:19 PM
Well I have at least 25 flights on this plane and it is a great flyer and my favorite to fly.
I did have a balance issue with it.. fixed with 4 grams of lead at the wing tip.. good to go!
I do not have the inner FG on the wings as yet... but these are going on this week. I use the Hacker recomeded power plant with a Tru Turn, tubo spinner and a 14x7 prop...

I hope I have this plane for a long time....If I wad it up... I will repalce it with another!
Mar 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
I too had a chance to take mine out this past weekend. Thought I would change this up a little by going with a bigger prop (15x6) instead of the recommended 14x7 prop just to slow things down a little and try for more precision 3D.

Man...the APC 15x6 prop sure made some funky sound during throughout several flights. Keep thinking it was about the have a malfunction or something. I had tried this combination before and had thought it was a setup thing earlier when I flew weeks back. I think it's just a combination of prop and other things that produce the funky sound. I think I have a short video of it which I'll post if I have it.

Anyway...looking to try 15x7 next time I am out. 15x6 seems a little too slow and the funky sound doesn't build any confidence what's so ever.
Mar 04, 2013, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc
I too had a chance to take mine out this past weekend. Thought I would change this up a little by going with a bigger prop (15x6) instead of the recommended 14x7 prop just to slow things down a little and try for more precision 3D.

Man...the APC 15x6 prop sure made some funky sound during throughout several flights. Keep thinking it was about the have a malfunction or something. I had tried this combination before and had thought it was a setup thing earlier when I flew weeks back. I think it's just a combination of prop and other things that produce the funky sound. I think I have a short video of it which I'll post if I have it.

Anyway...looking to try 15x7 next time I am out. 15x6 seems a little too slow and the funky sound doesn't build any confidence what's so ever.
Reef- caution on the 15x7...in fact on all the 15" props. I'm flying a 720kv motor (I think the hacker is close to the same), and found that my RPM's really dropped off with a 15" prop. I didn't get any noises, but it wasn't fast or impressive. Also, watch your motor temps...hackers are great, but any motor run beyond its limits will eventually fail, or suffer decreased performance.

I think I placed a video of mine on a 15x7 on page 9 of this thread.
Have fun discovering what works best for you!
Mar 04, 2013, 09:25 PM
Interesting.

I have both 3DHS 51" Slick and 42" Vyper Bype on an almost identical setup as AW Freestyle.
Motor:
  • Hacker A30-12XL
  • Castle Creations ICE 75 Lite ESC
  • Hitec 85MG servos (4)
  • 15x6 prop

The only differences are Hitec 85MG servos for ailerons instead of Hitec 65MG on AW Freestyle. Both are the recommended setup by the manufacture and I have had great success with 15x6 prop. It's the reason why I started with 15x6 instead 15x7 since it has been proven across multiple airframe with this motor/esc combination.

I think I will try it again without the spinner and see if the funky sound goes away next time I bring her out.
Mar 05, 2013, 12:54 AM
wow never thought of going up to a 15 inch prop.... I need to learn more about this... If it will allow me to do slower 3d flight... I would like to give it a try... Let me know how tis goes..
Mar 05, 2013, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc
Interesting.

I have both 3DHS 51" Slick and 42" Vyper Bype on an almost identical setup as AW Freestyle.
Motor:
  • Hacker A30-12XL
  • Castle Creations ICE 75 Lite ESC
  • Hitec 85MG servos (4)
  • 15x6 prop

The only differences are Hitec 85MG servos for ailerons instead of Hitec 65MG on AW Freestyle. Both are the recommended setup by the manufacture and I have had great success with 15x6 prop. It's the reason why I started with 15x6 instead 15x7 since it has been proven across multiple airframe with this motor/esc combination.

I think I will try it again without the spinner and see if the funky sound goes away next time I bring her out.
Reef,
I was just trying to convey my experience with a 15" disc. When I ran the torque 2812/720 with 15" props, I got real RPM's that were in the 7500-8000 rpm range, depending on pitch. The motor is advertised at delivering 700+ watts, so it seemed like a reasonable test.

When I dropped to a 14" prop, my RPM's went up to about 8500+, giving me far more power, and better efficiency out of the motor.

I'm just passing along my own experience.

The math on my setup is this: 3.8v(per cell) x 4s x 720kv = 10944 RPM. This is what the motor will turn in an unloaded state (theoretically, 100% efficient). On a 15x6, I actually got 8010 RPM, for an efficiency of 73%. When I went to a 14x7, my efficiency increased by about 5-7% (based on real RPM), to about 78-80%. The mass of the prop is the primary difference between the two numbers.

I agree the setup you are flying is recommended on the two 3DHS planes you mentioned. Hackers are known to be under rated and very strong. Maybe the 15" prop will work out better for you than it did for me!
I loved hovering on the 15" prop, for sure, but in the end, the efficiency killed battery life and my pulls out of a hover weren't as impressive as I had hoped, so I changed my prop. I'm happy now with a Xoar 14x7.

Let us know how the 15" works for you! I might have to rethink my setup.
Mar 05, 2013, 10:23 AM
I'll keep you posted. Within upcoming spring break, there should be more opportunity for stick time and experimentation.

AW Freestyle is a slightly heavier plane the other two I have on similar setup so that has an impact for sure. I have Xoar 15x6 and APC 15x7 I'll try besides APC 15x6 I had already tried.
Mar 05, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cool!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Quick Reply